Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VTX has the turn signal indicators down low in my vision. I found myself watching traffic and forgetting to cancel them a lot. Embarrassing, and a nuisance for me and other drivers. I found the same to be true on my VW Trike. Following my wife through a neighborhood today I saw she has exactly the same problem on her Shadow. I added this simple circuit to my VTX several months ago and haven't forgotten to cancel the signal since. Same for the Trike. Today I went to Radio Shack and got the stuff and made the circuit up. It's small enough to fit inside the headlamp bucket and that's where all the wires you need to connect to are as well. Position the beeper close to the hole in the back of the bucket. If it's too loud use scotch tape over the hole in the beeper case. Not much current draw, no electrical noise, costs less than $10 and takes less than hour to put together. Heat shrink, insulate and don't obstruct anything. It should last the life of the bike. Will work on any bike, trike or car.
The diode is a 1N4001 (RS 276-1101) diode which is a 1 AMP diode but any 1N400X will work the same.(4002=2AMP, 4003=3AMP etc..)
The beeper is a RS 273-0796 self contained piezoelectric buzzer.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Necessity really is the Mother of all invention.. Nice!

·
Registered
815 Posts
When i changed the risers on my Aero, the handlebars covered my line of vision to the signal light and i would some times forget to cancel the signal light. Took care of the problem by bolting my old tach holder upside down to the back of my new aftermarket tach and putting this light in the hole made for where the tach holder was bolted on. Nice and bright even in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
rig up a gyro switch, then you have automatic shutoff signals.

HD uses a gyro (lean angle) switch that automatically turns the turn signals off for most turns. Works pretty well, but you still have to turn it off manually when using your turn signal to change lanes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OOPS! Last digit in the 4000 series diode denotes VOLTAGE. Not current. Duh!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've conditioned myself to leave my thumb on the switch until I cancel the signal. It's like an inch away from resting position and something I will not forget.

Usually when you want to turn them off is not a convenient time to be looking down at the gauges, which is why it is easy to forget.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a VTX several months ago. I've never used this style switch before and for the first several times, I honked the horn instead of cancelling the turn signal. That's embarrassing too.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Believe it or not, my 96 kawi KZ900Z1 had a factory turn signal beeper.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Y'all know I had a heck of a problem with canceling a while back. It was all I could do to remember. I got over that and now I consider myself a champion canceler. A MASTER signal canceler if you will... Until last weekend when it counted the most...

I rode my pink Honda like a man amongst several thousand HD's in the Lone Star Rally here in Galveston. I rode for MILES down the sea wall. HD's in front as far as I could see, same to the rear. I had my dayum turn signal on the entire way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lonnie Mac, I'm 57 next Feb. I've gotten to the point that I don't give a tinker's damn about what anyone else thinks about me. I spent my life trying to conform to some ideal and be liked or be accepted or be approved of according to some standard held by someone else. The military, business establishment, upper class neighborhood, opposite sex...
I don't care any more and it's kind of liberating in a way. Mister, I admire you. Your bike is beautiful. Clean and sharp, just beautiful. But I really don't know. I guess you've just gotten better than me when it comes to not giving a damn what people think. I guess I'm gonna have to try that. Next time I paint my bike it's gonna be pink.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lonnie Mac, I'm 57 next Feb. I've gotten to the point that I don't give a tinker's damn about what anyone else thinks about me. I spent my life trying to conform to some ideal and be liked or be accepted or be approved of according to some standard held by someone else. The military, business establishment, upper class neighborhood, opposite sex...
I don't care any more and it's kind of liberating in a way. Mister, I admire you. Your bike is beautiful. Clean and sharp, just beautiful. But I really don't know. I guess you've just gotten better than me when it comes to not giving a damn what people think. I guess I'm gonna have to try that. Next time I paint my bike it's gonna be pink.
Brotha, You and I are in the EXACT same boat. I used to demand that the toilet paper roll was "under"... Now I could care less. At 51, I really could care less. I am having a ball with this bike. At first I had a horrible problem of canceling the signal. I think I got a good handle on it now. But that was just funny right there. All the HD riders didn't give a hoot either. They all were giving me thumbs up. Funny I was riding behind some dude in a dew-rag with his single on the opposite way.

I thought about putting something mechanical to remind me, a buzzer, something. I just made a point on keeping my thumb on the button.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Had the same issue when i first got my Bike. Half the time i was leaving the signal on
which sure takes away from the "Cool" ride feeling ... lol

Spoke with other riders who had that happen a lot too, one guy put a sticker right in the middle of his windshield that said "Turn Signal" ... lol
It became the new normal and soon it didnt work either..

I even looked at those buzzers like you are but never acted on it.

Somehow over time the issue went away and i rarely leave the signal on any more.
I may be keeping my thumb near the turn switch until i press it to cancel the signal.

it turned into a non-issue

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,257 Posts
Done the buzzer reminder a month ago. In bright sunlight its hard to see the indicator on a chrome headlight bucket and also tending to matters like staying alive kinda makes one forget. It also annoys/alert others in your vicinity. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.