Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed out the fork oil in my Shadow. Went from stock to a 15W.

Thanks to whomever posted the information and pics using the 1/4" copper tubing. That worked great! I picked up a fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight for 4 bucks and it made it really easy. Also purchased a 10' piece of 1/4" clear tubing for the job. The plastic tubing fits over the copper tubing and it fits inside the 3/8 "? tubing supplied with the pump.

The job went well. I thought I had to move my handle bars (which I did) to get the spacers out (I have 1100 risers on my 750.), but since I was only changing fluid this wasn't neccesary. The tubing set up would have fit through the spacers. I guess I should have checked after I took the fork caps off.

The fluid came out nicely. Good pink color, no visable floaties.

Replaced with 15W fork oil.

My question: The Clymers manual says the capacity is 16.92 to 17.12 ounces. The fork oil comes in pint (16 oz.) bottles. Do I need to be concerned about the missing ounce? I pumped out as much as I could but I'm sure I didn't get 100% of the old fluid and I still think it's a little under spec. Will less fluid keep my front end feeling too soft?

I'm going to go for a ride this morning. If it's still soft I'll preload with the pvc spacers and if I still don't like the feel I'll switch to the Progressive springs.

The hardest part is convincing my wife it's a quality of ride (possible safety) issue and I absolutely need to spend more time on my bikes this weekend. Doh! It's cheaper than therapy.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
umbee said:
My question: The Clymers manual says the capacity is 16.92 to 17.12 ounces. The fork oil comes in pint (16 oz.) bottles. Do I need to be concerned about the missing ounce? I pumped out as much as I could but I'm sure I didn't get 100% of the old fluid and I still think it's a little under spec. Will less fluid keep my front end feeling too soft?
I would definitely get a second opinion on the amount of fork oil. My 1100 only takes 15.9 oz per tube - clymer manuals are notoriously inaccurate too.

One of the best way to set the oil level (if it's included in the Honda Service manual for your bike) is the oil level from the top of the fork.

All that said: an ounce one way or the other will be fine.

The progressive springs are well worth it - heavier fork oil works more for dampening on the rebound springs help the rate of compression.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm about ready to do the progressive fork springs myself. I've found that I can "Top out" my forks if I'm backing out of a parking space. When I apply the front brake the forks will top out and skid the tire. This happens especially when I'm backing out of my parking space at home because I'm backing down a hill. It almost feels as if there's no oil in them at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Honda manual for the Spirit 750 calls for 16.9oz, that's if you've got all the oil out of the entire fork, not just sucking the oil out the top w/the fork still on the bike. Otherwise it calls for 4.9 inches from the top of the tube with the fork completely compressed and the spring and spacer removed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After swapping out the fork oil and riding for a few weeks I decided to try longer spacers and pre load the springs a little.

I installed 12 and 1/8" pvc spacers and I must say the 'bouncy bouncy' is almost eliminated. It was most noticable when on exit and entrance ramps.

The hardest part of the job was getting the caps back on the forks.

+1 on the firmer ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts