Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to this forum so HI EVERYONE :)

I came here to ask about the fork oil on a VLX 600CC 2002 my friend (the owner) says he filled it many times in the past but he dont remember what oil he used or how much, all we know is that the front fork is losen. so i am thinking i should drain the old oil but first i need to know if theres a drain plug on this bike hehe.. or just refill? i need some advices thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Should be about a 10mm drain plug on the bottom of each leg. Just unscrew it and put a bucket in a position to push down on the forks and it'll squirt right out,do the other side the same. Then jackup the bike somehow to get the weight off the front and get the wheel barely off the ground then remove the fork caps. Watch for the spring tension,if yours is like my bike the springs stick up out of the tubes about 1/2" so theyre under compression when the caps are down tight. Get your spec for how many ounces you'll need for each leg and replace the drain plugs. They sell PJ or Spectra 15w or 20w fork oil in any most shop. My manual called for transmission oil so I used it and it works just fine although a good quality fork oil wont foam as much like transmission oil.JR

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm pretty positive that honda did away with the drain bolts on the vlx sometime in the mid-90's. In which case, you're supposed to remove the forks and empty them - but I know some people use a mity-vac or similar device to suck the old fluid out. Use the search button and you'll find several threads on how to change fork oil without drain bolts. You should also get the honda service manual if you don't already have it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
oldtoys1961 said:
Man that sucks literally. No drain bolts? Did they do away with the air caps on the forks too? JR
why honda would get rid of the drain bolts is totally beyond me. None of their cruisers have them anymore and I just can't figure it out. I'm so glad I've got them. They make an otherwise difficult job, exceedingly easy.

Ha! air in the forks - they stopped doing that in '87! That's one I don't mind so much - I think the oil and springs are enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your answers and your time guys.. but i do not need instructions to change the oil, i already know how to do it, what i dont know. is how much oil it will take.. we dont have the manual for this bike and we dont know the specs... well its kinda late. there is no drain plug thats too bad , we just added a quart of a kitchen cup those with measurement lines. we used castrol GP engine oil, my friend was a cheap ass and didn't wanted to pay for more oil since we changed the oil on his bike and we got left like a quarter of a bottle. the springs were not big deal but its it ended to get a bit hard.. i rode it and feels fine. only feel the hardness if you go into a hole or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm pretty positive that honda did away with the drain bolts on the vlx sometime in the mid-90's. In which case, you're supposed to remove the forks and empty them - but I know some people use a mity-vac or similar device to suck the old fluid out. Use the search button and you'll find several threads on how to change fork oil without drain bolts. You should also get the honda service manual if you don't already have it.
I have a 99 VLX it has drain plugs ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts