Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 97 vt600cd. I noticed a day or two after i got it that the left fork if your sitting on it was weeping a bit down the fork. Now i'm paranoid that the fluid level in there is low. The bike had basically been sitting for the last year or two, hardly ridden. Is there any easy way with these to check the level and refill if need be? I'm assuming if the level was low the front end would be really loose and have extra play in the suspension. Right now it actually almost feels a bit stiff.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I doubt seriously you'll feel all that much difference with a little oil weeping out.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Seal do dry out if left sitting for a long time. Your better off to ride it and see if it keeps leaking or if your lucky, it may stop. You may need to replace the seal if it continues to leak (do both at the same time)
You'll need to look in a shop manual for your particualr model to see how much oil you will need in each fork after replacing the seals.
If yours just dripped a couple drops, I wouldn't be too concerned about one side being to much lower than the other, so no big deal.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
One of the first things that I do when I get a new to me scoot, is change ALL of the fluids. That includes fork oil. Chances are it has never been changed, and it needs it. I have yet to see a leaking fork seal fix itself.

There is a reason both sides of the fork take the same amount of oil. The further away from even that the forks are, the further away from a well handling motorcycle you'll have. If the leak is so bad that the oil runs down the fork leg onto the brake components and the front tire, you 'll have an entirely new set of problems.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Now I gotta check my forking oil too.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
One of the first things that I do when I get a new to me scoot, is change ALL of the fluids.
+1 on changing all the fluids. After I got my used bike home this spring, I noticed some dried fork oil and weeping from the pressure valve on the differential. I changed out all the fluids (coolant, hydraulics, etc….). No leaks since I changed them (other than a long story on the synthetic motor oil that I won’t bore you with). It's inexpensive, provides some peace of mind and you can ensure that a good quality product is going in your bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I recently replaced the seals on my 97 VLX. It's actually quite easy if you have the tool to remove the fork piston, and a seal driver. I made a fork piston tool and used a piece of PVC pipe for a seal driver. Besides making the tools, it took about an hour for the first one, and about 30 minutes for the second. It was pretty straightforward, with no real surprises. Since then I've upgraded to Progressive Springs. That project took me a total of about an hour to do both sides, including making new spacers.

Have you downloaded the manual yet?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i downloaded the service manual. The only thing stopping me from just taking it apart is the lack of any way to support the bike.

The only reason i was concerned about the weeping is i dunno how long it's been weeping. I ran some 35mm film around there and it stopped.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
You hold the nike up with one hand and fill with the other. Or put a block of wood under the kick stand. Or lean it agains a tree or you wifes car. Good motorcycle jack can be built out of JUST a 6' long 2x8 and a piece of old pipe.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I replaced my seals before I got my jack. To take the tire off, I just blocked the front of the frame up on some bricks I had laying around. Just tip it one way, slide a brick under, tip it the other way, slide one under the other side. Back and forth until the front wheel was off the ground. It worked just fine. But, the 2x8 and pipe would probably have been easier if I had known about it back then.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take it from me,if u wind up replacen the fork seals dont buy aftermarket buy honda.i bought after market seals and every time i go for a ride then come home theres oil rings and dust on my forks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i just replaced my fork seals and i used my center stand and a car jack under the engine to hold it up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts