Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi y'all! Well, knew it was going to have to be done, but was hoping it would wait till it got too cold to ride. Going to have to have my fork seals replaced...I got no garage and no knowledge to try to do it myself.

Was wondering if you all could give me some ballpark figures for a fork seal job? I don't want to get screwed over by some neanderthal mechanic because I'm a girl and this time, anyway, I don't have a clue!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I wish I could help you, but I did mine myself, for about $40. That included the seals, u\dust covers and fork oil. If you have a friend who would let you use his/her garage, it's not hard to do. Here's a write-up I did a while back if you feel "froggy". Which ever way you go, good luck. Don't let them take advantage of you because you're a girl. Also, don't think you can't do it yourself because you're a girl.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72...93361-replacing-fork-seals-84-vt700-pics.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could help you, but I did mine myself, for about $40. That included the seals, u\dust covers and fork oil. If you have a friend who would let you use his/her garage, it's not hard to do. Here's a write-up I did a while back if you feel "froggy". Which ever way you go, good luck. Don't let them take advantage of you because you're a girl. Also, don't think you can't do it yourself because you're a girl.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72...93361-replacing-fork-seals-84-vt700-pics.html
Awesome write-up! Unfortunately I don't have any garage friends at my disposal, or I'd definitely give it a go myself--I love working on my own stuff (when I have the tools and a good place to work)! The only thing being a girl has ever stopped me from doing is standing to pee ;-)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Well if you were closer I would do it for a case of beer. All in aboujt 2 hours worth of work if you have done it. I dont know what shop rates are down that but here it would run in the $150 area to get them replaced at a shop. did mine for $40 as well.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Awesome write-up! Unfortunately I don't have any garage friends at my disposal, or I'd definitely give it a go myself--I love working on my own stuff (when I have the tools and a good place to work)! The only thing being a girl has ever stopped me from doing is standing to pee ;-)

Don't let being a woman stop you from standing to pee... They make something for that (can't link it cause i don't want to chance finding something i can't view at work)....

But a fork seal job isn't too tough. I'm going to have to do that myself soon. Im sure you don't "need" a garage, but i am sure it would help.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I was at a party one time and the line up for the womens washroom was long. A female came in to the mens room and used the URINAL next to me. Funniest thing I ever saw.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You definitely do not need a garage to change out some fork seals. A few basic hand tools, a pair of snap ring pliers and some way to hold up the front end while you pull the tubes off is all you need. An extra set of hands would be nice too but not totally necessary though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Given the condition I find some public bathrooms in, I believe a lot of GUYS have troubles standing and peeing too! Good luck with the forks. One tool I do not have is the snap-ring pliers. Gotta get me one of those I guess.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would say most shops would charge about 2 hours labor plus parts, seals are in the $15-20 range plus fork oil. So about $150 or so would be an estimate. As mentioned above fork seals are largely a labor intensive job so thats why its not cheap to have a shop do it even though the parts cost is relatively low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.