Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for fork seals on my 93 VT600C. Is it worth it to have a shop do it or easy enough to do on your own?

Also, does anyone know a part number so I can find them online?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
51490-MR1-671 for the set of seals.
Mother

·
Registered
407 Posts
That Vid is OK, but it aint even for a Honda Shadow.... Check these included Vids...
Here a cut from a previous post specific for Honda Shadows, its for a VT750 but your Honda VT600 wont be much diff if not almost exactly the same - Hey Its a Honda... and Two Wheel Rocco's Shadow Replace Fork Seals VID is the Greatest! It aint a dufficlut job at All...

I just did my fork seals (exactly like Rocco) for <$30 ($12 - 2 OEM forkseal & dustcover kits, + 1 liter Belray 15W fork fluid, all shipped to my door!)
And while I was doin the forks and had the calliper removed from the forkk I totally cleaned, inspected the caliper and and changed the brake fluid.
Not a tuff job at all (and from what i've read there only one o-ring in the caliper that can leak![and it's easy to replace])

Two Wheel Rocco! - he makes the job so simple - It's a beautiful thing...
(*and use a 1 1/2" Thin wall PVC pipe instead of the PVC pipe part# referenced in the vid!)
Part 1:
Part2:
Two Wheel Rocco, the absolute best vid i've watched on fork seaks!
All others i've watched (including my local honda shop), get the fork off, and wrestle it around on a bench, have trouble with the bottom bolt, clamp it, impact it, need special tools and make a simple job a real chore!
Now the secret to the whole job is:
As soon as ya get the front wheel off (while the fork is still champed int the triple tree) - reach up into the bottom of the fork with your extended hex socket and POP THAT BOTTOM BOLT LOOSE! while it's still clamped in the top tree - and its all down hill after that!
(and ya never have to wrestle that fork around on bench or floor!)
(and always work on the fork in a Bucket! No mess!)

Hey, if your any kind a wrench , and follow Rocco's vid - It's easy and a Beautiful Thing... (ya gotta watch the Vid to understand: Its a Beautiful Thing)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links guys. I have the seals kits on order and should be at my door tomorrow. Looks like I will be doing some learning this weekend.

Does anyone know what size allen bolt is on the bottom of the fork?
@KaBob Iv'e been wrenching professionally on diesels for 20+ years. The wrenching part is not an issue at all but.......I'm new to wrenching on bikes.

Should be interesting.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
OEM seals! All Ball brand aren't as good quality as OEM.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think that bottom allen(hex) plug requires is a 6mm hex (allen) extended reach socket
(easily available at Harbor Freight in a 7 piece extended metric hex socket set ~$!3.95 -
I only paid $5.99 for my set last November! )

And for that piece a PVC pipe Rocco used to seat the seals thats a piece a 1 1/2" Class 200 (thin wall) pvc pipe - NOT 1 1/2" Schedule 40 (thick wall) pvc pipe! ( it wont fit right!) - and most local Home Depot's/Lowes dont stock thin wall any more - best shot at gettin 1 1/2" Class 200 ( or CL200 - thinwall) pvc pipe is an irrigation supplier - they'll have it, probable give ya a couple feet for free...)

Tis really a pretty easy job - "It's a Beautiful Thing..."

and +1 for OEM seals/bearings only! - All Balls (Double) Thumbs Down!
Per fork oil - I've only used Honda and Belray - both good - honda recomends 10W - Rocco used 15W Belray, so did I, Oh Yea, I like the 15W, just subtly firmer and still smooth action - You gonna like the new seals, oil and ride - Nice!
https://www.amazon.com/Bel-Ray-High-Performance-Fork-Oil/dp/B0045LCE6S - Five Star Stuff...

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
YES oil weight is critical! Oil amount is critical.
If the springs are original, BUY NEW, do the job right, new seals and springs.
If you don't, go with the heaviest fork oil you can find and hope it helps. But new springs(progressive is highly recommended) and new oil, the bike will be like a new bike to you.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
10w Belray and Progressive springs for all Shadows!

·
Registered
407 Posts
As mentioned, Oil amount/capacity is Critical, ya need to know your specific yr/model capacity & level. To that end ya gotta get your specific OEM service manual, thats easy...
Goto: Shadow VLX 600 Service Manuals - VT600VLX.com
, open and save your 88-89 91-96 service manual pdf on your computer! (links have a way of disappearing) -

Now your 93 is a strange bird! Lotsa changes in those yrs - make sure your bike really is a 1993 per your serial# and label on the bike! Fork level and capacity is diff thru those yrs! - and even diff levels/capacities for each side! - Plus there's this thing called a leaf valve that only goes in left side fork on pre 94's - See the Attachments...
And research indicates that some late 93's are really 94 models, and some 94's are really late 93 models! - depending on shipment and delivery in the US. Oh Yea! See there's this guy mamed Murphy that's alive and well: and Murphy's Law states: "If there's something that can go wrong , it probably will". Like per your 93 - "Model year MisMatch" is possible...

Now, the bad part is: perhaps I spoke too soon per Roccos Fork vid being representative of most Shadow's fork seal repair and the job being easy... - Ya might wanta reconsider lettin honda or someone else do the job rather than gettin into possible unknowns...

But the good is: ya got the whole complete 88 thru 96 OEM Vt600c service pdf that got all specs and detailed removal, disassembly and assembly of everything for your bike - including front suspension and forks! Ya might wanta read around Section/pages 12.16 Fork Assembly and procedures...
It aint all that diff from Rocco's vid - check it out and see what ya think...
Another good thing, just 1 liter(33.8oz) of fork oil will still do ya (but ya cant spill any at all!)

Hey, It'll be an Adventure, but ya got the guide book and OEM Bible...
Whatcha Think?
(What's a Leaf Valve? - guess ya gotta get inside to find out - edit: OK I looked it up -"A leaf valve is a one-way valve (check valve) consisting of a diagonal obstruction with an opening covered by a hinged flap." - huh, Why on just one side" - An Adventure for sure... )

Since your a DieselDoc perhaps ya use/know some better wrenching gloves, but i've been using these lately while wrenchin, Good gloves, Tuff, Good sensitivity, can last many days and jobs - https://www.harborfreight.com/7-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-50-pc-large-68505.html

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was watching some youtube videos and found one had a guy who left the forks mounted to the wheel and removed and replaced the seals without tearing down the forks.

Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I started this project and found the previous owner broke one of the bottom pinch bolts off and used the bolt cover to hide it. So now, I get to deal with that.

Also the hex plug at the bottom of the fork seems to just spin with the internals. Is it safe to use an impact to try to break it loose?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also the hex plug at the bottom of the fork seems to just spin with the internals. Is it safe to use an impact to try to break it loose?
2 / 2

Yes, use the impact. If that doesn't work you might have to compress the fork and use the impact.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am reassembling a fork. I have not added oil since it has not been delivered yet. I wanted to put the fork cap back on to keep the internals clean but it is very hard to compress the spring far enough.

Is this normal since there is no oil in the fork or did I do something wrong?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts