Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to find fork extensions for my 05 aero for a long time now and I can't find them anywhere... Anyone have suggestions of where I can find them? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,252 Posts
Were the long forks on the old choppers solid special made tubes or extensions? Seems safer if they were all one piece tubing. I remember seeing them flex a lot on rough roads.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,428 Posts
Solid, special made tubes. They also required a new neck angle. Without it, the bike would just sit higher without any increase in rake and it would be a death machine since the trail and offset would be radically different.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,593 Posts
Im pretty sure they ban ed the sale of fork extensions due to safety concerns but they may just be in canada

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,074 Posts
I have +6” Franks forks tubes on my 750, don’t go with extension slugs IMO, you’re adding a weakened point to the fork tube when they’re installed, spend the $$$ on the longer tubes.

Solid, special made tubes. They also required a new neck angle. Without it, the bike would just sit higher without any increase in rake and it would be a death machine since the trail and offset would be radically different.
Actually, you don’t need to rake the trees out and handling is completely fine, I guess you only know when you ride one. Honestly I like the front end high look and I even lowered the rear a bunch to exaggerate the look, I love it and it handles completely fine. Rode it 90 miles today just because it was nice out.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I have +6” Franks forks tubes on my 750, don’t go with extension slugs IMO, you’re adding a weakened point to the fork tube when they’re installed, spend the $$$ on the longer tubes.

View attachment 286463

Actually, you don’t need to rake the trees out and handling is completely fine, I guess you only know when you ride one. Honestly I like the front end high look and I even lowered the rear a bunch to exaggerate the look, I love it and it handles completely fine. Rode it 90 miles today just because it was nice out.
Actually, I do ride one, and we'll just have to politely disagree about the handling characteristics and the front end geometries having an adverse effect on handling.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Actually, I do ride one, and we'll just have to politely disagree about the handling characteristics and the front end geometries having an adverse effect on handling.
You ride an extended fork, raked tree Shadow? Pics please!

My ‘07 DC chain drive is smooth as silk on stock trees and 6” over tubes, not a single hiccup in the bars or any amount of wobble at any speed. So, perhaps your “death machine” moniker was a bit over zealous?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
You ride an extended fork, raked tree Shadow? Pics please!

My ‘07 DC chain drive is smooth as silk on stock trees and 6” over tubes, not a single hiccup in the bars or any amount of wobble at any speed. So, perhaps your “death machine” moniker was a bit over zealous?
8" over tubes, +14 degree rake (over stock) Suzuki Intruder, actually.

Can take my hands off the bars at top speed (north of 110 mph) and it will steer itself. No diving at either full lock left or right.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hot damn, what are those like 10” over?! I see where you’re coming from lol I wouldn’t run those without raked trees. What is that, a chopperkitusa setup? The OP was asking about slug extensions, which thread into the top cap threads of the fork tube(and aren’t made anymore because they’re not safe) I’ve never seen those over 3” long for a Shadow so stock rake would be totally fine.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,252 Posts
Chuck that is a beauty !
Pop that into the BOTM contest.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Hot damn, what are those like 10” over?! I see where you’re coming from lol I wouldn’t run those without raked trees. What is that, a chopperkitusa setup? The OP was asking about slug extensions, which thread into the top cap threads of the fork tube(and aren’t made anymore because they’re not safe) I’ve never seen those over 3” long for a Shadow so stock rake would be totally fine.
Those are 8" over tubes. The tree was custom made in Germany and consists of basically a setup like a ball joint that adjusts itself to the ride height and keeps the same trail and offset. Cost me a fortune for the damn thing, lol. I did the whole thing myself, including the bodywork and paint. Then to even things out, I used a shorter Honda Rebel shock in the rear to slam it to the ground and keep it parallel with the rest of the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Chuck that is a beauty !
Pop that into the BOTM contest.
Thanks Swifty. I already have a trophy for it. Took second place at a bike show with it. Never entered it in the bike of the month club because I think that should be reserved for Hondas. I just wanted to be the first kid on my block with a chopped Suzuki Intruder. :D

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,915 Posts
Chuck, any bike is able to enter the contest, and your's is an absolute beauty.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,252 Posts
That's what i was going to say too.
I worked for Toyota and Nissan and as one guy said= " All the Japanese cars come out of the same factory building, just a different door". :unsure:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts