Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,286 Posts
@Chuck_Michigan that is a great looking piece of work.

@Digitaltoad slugs or extensions are a poor investment if the bike will actually be ridden, I've seen the threaded portion cracked right off a fork tube by fatigue from using them.
There is good reason that they will get you a vehicle defect ticket if a cop notices them in a lot of places on earth.
I'm not a chopper fan and I've ridden a few reasonable handling ones and a couple of just plain scary ones, but if you must do it fork tubes are the way to go.
They may seem expensive and a lot of work to install, but are a far safer route and if one takes into account the value one places on one's self and potential medical ramifications of a failure then they may actually seem a bargain.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fork tube screw in extensions were called "fork slugs".It was just a threaded tube that screwed into the fork tube to make it longer. They were made for a while in the early 70's. Very dangerous idea as some forks broke in half. Now longer fork tubes are still around and for sale. No problems there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quite a few years(late 80's) ago the local jap bike salvage yard got a Harley Sportster custom chopper in that looked to have been a "show bike". Called me to see if i could get it running as they were not harley guys. Took a couple hours and it cranked and ran fine. It had stretched frame, extreme rake and very long girder fork. It was about twice as long as the original sportster. No one else wanted to take it for a ride so i volunteered.The fork just kind of flopped back and forth under 20 MPH and only got stable about 35 MPH. I quickly started looking for a place to turn around. Finally found a parking lot big enough.I think i made about a 50 ft radius turn and brought it back. No one ever tried to ride it after that. You can carry some things just too far.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,286 Posts
That brought a smile as it triggered a memory. (-:
I rode one like that once and if you tried to hurry it in a slow turn it would just "push".
I can relate to the hunt for a parking lot to turn the damn thing round.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I've been trying to find fork extensions for my 05 aero for a long time now and I can't find them anywhere... Anyone have suggestions of where I can find them? Thanks for the help!
If you're still looking for the extensions, they're available from VTX-Treme's website. I spoke with the owner twice on the phone and he assured me the VTX1300 fork tube extensions that he makes would fit my Aero 750 (2005). I got them in the mail yesterday and will install tonight or this weekend. They're both 41mm and he said the threads would match up. Only person I've found who makes them. (Other than getting ripped off by Scoot works/621 Cycles or getting new tubes from Frank's)

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,085 Posts
If you're still looking for the extensions, they're available from VTX-Treme's website. I spoke with the owner twice on the phone and he assured me the VTX1300 fork tube extensions that he makes would fit my Aero 750 (2005). I got them in the mail yesterday and will install tonight or this weekend. They're both 41mm and he said the threads would match up. Only person I've found who makes them. (Other than getting ripped off by Scoot works/621 Cycles or getting new tubes from Frank's)

in
Extensions aren’t the right way to extend forks, the reason they’re hard to find is because people who know better won’t buy them so the market is reserved for cheapos and suckers... plus the cost of the 4” extensions are nearly half of what brand new extended tubes cost, which is the only correct way to extend forks more than an inch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Extensions aren’t the right way to extend forks, the reason they’re hard to find is because people who know better won’t buy them so the market is reserved for cheapos and suckers... plus the cost of the 4” extensions are nearly half of what brand new extended tubes cost, which is the only correct way to extend forks more than an inch.
I agree with you, but Frank's has been closed for a few months now due to them moving their shop, and (as I'm sure you know) there are no other sources for extended metric fork tubes. If I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know of another source for them - I'll order a pair right now! I love the stance of your bike and when Frank's is open for business again I'll be going for at least 6 overs. (I'm leaving the factory rake alone, I dig the upward stance)
But, until I can get my hands on some full tubes, I'm trying out the extensions.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,085 Posts
I agree with you, but Frank's has been closed for a few months now due to them moving their shop, and (as I'm sure you know) there are no other sources for extended metric fork tubes. If I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know of another source for them - I'll order a pair right now! I love the stance of your bike and when Frank's is open for business again I'll be going for at least 6 overs. (I'm leaving the factory rake alone, I dig the upward stance)
But, until I can get my hands on some full tubes, I'm trying out the extensions.
You may want to try and contact the folks over at chopper kit USA

Find them here : Delivery Allow 2-3 weeks Fork Tube Sets

They sell metric extended forks and I believe they may source them from Frank’s, there is a chance they could have something on the shelf in stock still. Other than that, Frank’s is the only source I’m aware of for Metric tubes.

I’m a huge fan of the front end tall raked look, some people want the bottom frame rails level with the ground but I really enjoy the “didn’t rake the trees” look with extended forks and the added benefit is that I never even come close to dragging my boot heels or pegs any more, if I could go back in time I’d buy 8” instead of 6” because I’m silly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may want to try and contact the folks over at chopper kit USA

Find them here : Delivery Allow 2-3 weeks Fork Tube Sets

They sell metric extended forks and I believe they may source them from Frank’s, there is a chance they could have something on the shelf in stock still. Other than that, Frank’s is the only source I’m aware of for Metric tubes.

I’m a huge fan of the front end tall raked look, some people want the bottom frame rails level with the ground but I really enjoy the “didn’t rake the trees” look with extended forks and the added benefit is that I never even come close to dragging my boot heels or pegs any more, if I could go back in time I’d buy 8” instead of 6” because I’m silly.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I assumed because they sourced from Frank that they'd be on hold as far as accepting orders as well. Didn't think they MAY have some still in stock. I'll contact them tomorrow.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts