Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I HAVE done a search, and read up a lot on this subject, but thought I would ask advice.
I have Cobra highway bars and highway pegs already, with stock controls.
I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam. I find myself shuffling my feet quite a bit on the pegs, and using the highway pegs, but am constantly moving back and forth, because I am a new rider, and do not feel totally comfortable with my feet away from the controls.
One option is floorboards, but with my crash bars, I am still limited in room.
Second option is forward controls, and I am looking at these: http://www.geocities.com/tribalimage/45ACE_Forwards.html
The price is right, and I can polish, or have locally chromed.
I realize that I would have to lose my crash bars/pegs, but I think I would be much more comfortable.

Does anyone have any input on this that can help me please?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am interested in those also, but I don't yet have a set. I read on this forum somewhere that one rider did not like them as they were too flexible, but I really don't know. I've talked to one of the guys at tribal image and he was real helpful, even though I have not yet purchased anything from them (I was gonna have them design my own idea.) And yes you probably would have to lose your crashbars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I will lose the crashbars, can sell on Ebay or here.
The guy from tribal emailed me back, very helpful.
I will be very curious to know if anyone here has them, and if they flex?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a set of Tribal forwards on my '00 ACE. The design of the extensions is nice and moves your foot position forward about 7 inches. The brake rod extension is a joke. It works but looks like crap. I bought a length of 1/2" steel rod and welded it into my stock brake rod. It now looks like it came from the factory.They do flex somewhat so I bought a 3/4" solid aluminum rod and cut it to fit between the two rear footpeg bolt holes. It fits snug just in front of the radiator cover and takes all the flex out. The bolts they send are total crap. I replaced them with grade 8 socket head screws. I wouldn't have gone to all that trouble but they were already cut and drilled and they put my feet just where I wanted them. They also allow me to run Vance and Hines Straightshots which are designed only for the 750 Spirit. I love tweekin on **** anyway so it's all good. BTW I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. Bottom line for me..they are not worth $125 but compared to Mapams and Jardines (had them too, hated em) it's the best deal so far. Almost forgot. There was no way I was going to have my brake switch sticking out in the wind. Just looked, yes that's right, like crap. I fabbed a simple L shaped bracked and kept it in it's stock location.

·
Registered
74 Posts
These are a much more affordable alternative to buying expensive forward controls, which I think don't look any better for all the money they cost. I also liked these because they let you use your existing pegs, which matched my grips and other pegs. norcalace is correct about the flexing on the brake side. I have no problem with the shifter side, but there is some flex on the brake side. Is it enough to rule these out? No. You may not have a problem with it, but you will notice it. I have gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me much anymore, but I'm looking at a solution similar to norcalace, and have PM him for pics of his brace. Overall, these are a great solution, especially if you're 6' or over.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be ordering these in the next few days. I will post my observations and pictures.
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
225 Posts
i bought the tribal image units monday night, Jan 22. I got them in the mail, thursay, jan 25. I installed them last sunday.

It took a while to polish them out, they are cut on a water jet, and the edges have a "broken shear" appearance. I had to sand with several grits before i had enough of a surface to actually polish.

the installation literally took less than an hour at the outside.

the brake extension is pretty rediculous. it works, but is not pretty (luckily, it's hidden by the stock exhaust).

i've noticed the flex as well, and i plan to fix it the same way as others have, namely a threaded rod between the front or rear peg holes. however, I notice it when parked....i don't notice it when riding.

the shifter feel is a little different to me. the throw seems longer, but i can't really explain why. possilbly the minor change made to the angle of the assemblies, and possibly my adjustment of the extension rod.

the hardware quality doesn't bother me, but i'll probably move to factory style stuff as soon as i unpack my garage.

the feel is better than anything i can explain.

at 6'1" with a 36" inseam, i was WAY TOO TALL for my 03 750 ACE. it was getting to be uncomfortable, but now, it's way more useful. i'll end up holding onto the bike longer because of it.

i could have fabbed up this exact setup in steel, and saved a bit of coin, but i personally think it was worth it. however, it would have taken me a bit of design to get the same setup (the angle change on the pegs is helpful), and i don't wanna do that in this weather.

(and, when the bike gets cut up...as all my vehicles eventually do.....i'll build the forwards i want.)

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40980

1 - 7 of 7 Posts