Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stopped at a red light and it didn't sense my bike. So I decided I'd turn right and got around the light since it's a pretty long cycle. I turned the handlebars right and eased up a bit to make sure it was safe to go and I stalled. The bike went right over. :oops: Luckily I managed to balance it on the peg and no damage was done. I went to stand it up and man that sucker was heavy. I had to get off the bike to lift it. I don't know how much being pointed uphill affected the weight trying to pick it up or if that's how I managed to balance it on the peg. I finally got it up and back on it but I was too concerned about my sore back to come up with a "I meant to do that look".

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I laid mine over and couldn't lift it "before I heard about that put your back to it lift thing" I blamed it on the fact my knee hurt was why I couldn't even budge it. :oops:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mine got knocked over in a parking lot early last year and my knee was sore for two months after lifting it and I did it correctly. Which brings up a sore point with me. Ever notice how on those video's people sell they always show some teeny-tiny girl lifting a Gold Wing or Glide but have you noticed those bikes are never ever flat on their sides? I suppose showing someone blowing out their knee wouldn't sell very well.... :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
My bike is A tad heavy also :shock:

Jack

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Interesting ... just this afternoon I had a brief conversation with a guy who had a Goldwing Trike. That's not something I'd want, but he was well pleased with it. The main virtue of it, according to him, was precisely what you're alluding to here -- the weight of the bike in the event it ever goes over on its side. He owned a two-wheel Wing before ... he said: "Compared to this trike, the two wheel Wing was work. This is just fun."

Again, I wouldn't want one. But a trike does eliminate at least one element of concern: lifting the bike back up. Of course it eliminates a slew of other things, such as aggressive cornering and scraping pegs.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
beowulf said:
I think I'll just try to avoid dropping it rather than going for a trike. I'm not that old.
I hear ya ... I wasn't suggesting you should consider a trike. I just thought it interesting that I have this converation with a trike owner -- something I've never done -- and then there's your post.

But, that said, I understand a Goldwing Trike is a real chick magnet. That's what they say down at the retirement center. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
The more I hear about this, the happier I am I bought a VLX :) I've dropped it twice, once each way. Both times I was turning on a hill with a passenger. Both times I caught it on the peg and it wasn't too bad to lift it back up. The second time was a little harder though because on the way down the passenger peg caught me in the ankle and I had to lift the bike with that throbbing ankle taking the bulk of the weight. Luckily for us both my wife proved she has feline blood by jumping clear off before the bike hit the ground and landing on her feet...if I was holding her up too, I'm not sure I would have been able to catch the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, maybe this is just cause i'm only 27, but the bikes aren't that hard to pick up! Yeah, you gotta put some back into it, but i also say, act like you got some f'n balls!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm 37.... 117 pounds--- at the gym 1 hour/1.5 hours EVERY DAY, weight training and cardio. I consider myself fairly fit.

Let me assure you-- unless I drop my bike out in BFE... I will don the most pitiful look on my face you've ever seen and have the first "gentleman" that responds help me lift that bike back up.

I'm all for being "tough", but I can only imagine that any bike is easier to pick up using 2 people versus 1.

P.S. If anyone here in NC sees a bike down and a biker w/pink helmet-- that would be me, please stop and help!!! :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rickbb said:
Have had to pick mine 1100 up a cpl of times, :oops: , your 750 would seem like a feather compared. 8)
LOL
Yeah I imagine your's is a wee bit heavier.
Really once I got off and backed up to it it wasn't too bad. I was affraid though that in getting off I'd lose that balance on the peg. And then once I started lifting all I could think of was it going over the other way. Next time perhaps it'll occur to me to put the kick stand down first.

Denise, I'll be sure to stop for a pink helmet.
Actually, I always stop to offer a hand if I see another biker with trouble. Helped load a Road King onto a trailer once after a wreck, the front wheel wouldn't roll, man that front end was heavy!

·
Registered
310 Posts

Five-Hundred-Fifty-Three pounds. It's a light weight! Here are some other #'s: VTX 1800 - 753#, VTX 1300 - 709#, Shadow Aero 1100 - 660#, Gold Wing 1800 - 881#, Valkyrie Rune - 887#, VLX - 484#

One of the things you learn in the MSF is to ALWAYS stop with the handlebars squared up. Begining to turn and then having to stop for traffic or ?? will often result in dropping your bike!

·
Registered
335 Posts
So will turning at slow speed and NOT slipping the clutch...that's what happened to me, I was just creeping in 1st gear and lugging the engine (didn't realize it then, now I know). The RPMs got too low and the engine hiccuped... it was all over before I could squeeze the clutch, and I had the clutch covered!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I had a brief conversation with a guy who had a Goldwing Trike. That's not something I'd want, but he was well pleased with it. The main virtue of it, according to him, was precisely what you're alluding to here -- the weight of the bike in the event it ever goes over on its side.
Actually the 'Wing is VERY easy to get up, using the ass-to-the-seat method. Also a BMW r-bike with those big jugs sticking out. Anything else, including a Shadow, is difficult to impossible for a normal mortal unless it has engine guards that keep it up off the ground. I don't know what the hell you'd do with a VTX1800 -- just call a tow truck, I guess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts