Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NAIAS in Detroit. HUGE auto show. I went there today and had a ton of fun drooling over things that are a few years out of my reach. There were two bikes being shown off as part of the companies' displays. Suzuki had an M109 and BMW had a K1200R. I fell in love with a couple of cars too.

I had to fight off a bunch of little kids, but here I am on the BMW.

Suzuki was funny because they make a big deal about the bikes in their new commercials but the M109 was basically in a dark corner, whereas BMW had it right out there.

Who has experience on the BMW? It stuck out when I was looking at rental prices for a possible trip to Germany, and it seemed like it would be comfortable but this is the first time I'd seen one up close. I like the looks of it more than the Suzuki. Can anybody compare it with other BMW models?

The speedo is marked up to 280 mph.

·
Registered
188 Posts
BMW

Kid , you are on a dangerous path.
What i know about BMW bikes is from BMW owners. They come from all bike brand and the end result is: once you go BMW you never go back on an other bike.

Speed is not an issue for them( i think the speedo was more in Km/H so it would come to around 165 mph), but you can go 800 miles a day on them no fatigue. engine is loosing-up around 50k miles and you will pass 90k miles before you have to open up engin. Comfort and reliability is their field (not as comfy as the goldwing but a bit more reliable, altho GW is still ahead of BMW in the touring department)

Some models are down right ugly like their cruser attempt, but some others are realy nice. Got to have money that goes with it. Tune-up are expensive and parts are money-grabbers (heatted grips, hand guards, mirors, bags, plugs e.t.c.)

In the cruser field, i think Suzuki is not there yet. It is the cheapest of all and there is a reason, finish and comfort is not at the rendez-vous (ride one and you will see) But they are affordable and can go the same places as a BMW in the same time too. The differance will be how you feel after the ride. With the BMW you will go party after a long ride, with the Suzuki you will look for a hot bath and your bed after a long ride.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I don't know if I completely agree with Bwadife - I rode a BMW GS1150 (granted that is not a K series) for 10 days and a V-Strom 650 for 10 days (comparing similar bikes not cruiser to tourer). Not much difference except the BMW was a bit happier at highway speed above the 70mph mark it settled in for the day nicely.

Both are exceptonal bikes, but at less than half the price I would take the Suzuki, actually I would take a 650 and a 1000 for the same price, as a beemer and be quite content.

I am tall - very tall, and I saw no comfort difference other than the fact that I could hang my leg out on the beemers crash guard when I needed a stretch. But I was also very comfortable standing on the pegs at 60mph while riding the strom if I needed a stretch. Seats (stockers as far as I could tell) were both comfortable and the steadiness during cross winds were comparable - engine power was comparable, although the wee-strom needed some additional rpms to launch.

Other factors to consider, would be chain vs. shaft, maintenance and repair costs, dealership availabilty in remote places, aftermarket accessories, etc.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you may be right about the speedo being in kmh. I just read that Hayabusas are governed at 186 mph :shock:

I was helping a guy work on his Suzuki 750 crotch rocket and while I was on the thing it really didn't feel comfortable. I had to put a lot of weight on my wrists and the tank hit me in the stomach a bit, and this BMW didn't have either of those problems.

I hear the same thing about BMW's, once you get one you don't get rid of it. I almost bought my first bike from a guy who was selling his Yamahas after getting a Beamer, and I ran into the handyman at my friend's place after a ride and he went from Harleys to BMWs and never looked back either.

EDIT: An ungoverned Hayabusa set an AMA record for open wheeled bikes by going 252.832 mph (406.894 km/h).

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
downinit25i said:
I was helping a guy work on his Suzuki 750 crotch rocket and while I was on the thing it really didn't feel comfortable. I had to put a lot of weight on my wrists and the tank hit me in the stomach a bit, and this BMW didn't have either of those problems.
Different riding styles.

Sport bikes have an aggressive lean-over position for several reasons; less wind resistance, better sport-oriented weight distribution, center-of-gravity, etc.

One should NOT be holding one's self up via his arms on a sport bike. One should train himself to use his core muscles, relying on abs and glutes to maintain the seating position. Arms should be loose and free to move about, never holding up the rider's weight. Wrists should be straight when following the line down the forearm. It's all about training the muscles and body to work a certain way - just like any other physical activity.

·
Registered
949 Posts
chornbe said:
downinit25i said:
Different riding styles.

Sport bikes have an aggressive lean-over position for several reasons; less wind resistance, better sport-oriented weight distribution, center-of-gravity, etc.

One should NOT be holding one's self up via his arms on a sport bike. One should train himself to use his core muscles, relying on abs and glutes to maintain the seating position. Arms should be loose and free to move about, never holding up the rider's weight. Wrists should be straight when following the line down the forearm. It's all about training the muscles and body to work a certain way - just like any other physical activity.
Of course all that "muscle training" will also prepare for the position you'll take in jail after getting busted doing 186 MPH!!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
shrek said:
Of course all that "muscle training" will also prepare for the position you'll take in jail after getting busted doing 186 MPH!!!
And thank god you slowed down that much before the cop pulled the trigger on the radar gun. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
The main difference between the Ks and the Rs in the BMW lineup is that the Rs use BMW's signature boxer twin engine while the K's are all 4-cylinder. My experience is that Rs give a torquey, lively ride around town or on twisty roads but can also handle themselves well at highway speed, with quite a bit of juice left over for high-speed passing (just don't try racing any corvettes). Ks on the other hand are quiet, smooth and a lot more powerful esp. at the top end, making them better on the highway or the track.

Its difficult to compare the K12R to an M109. K12R is much closer in size, ride position and handling to a Gixxer or Busa while M109 is a cruiser, thus more comparable to models like BMW's R1200C (although the M is much larger and more powerful).

If you're looking to do long-haul, your two best bets are:

R1200RT (their sport-touring model) - torquey but also quick, good on twisties, but also highway, plus sufficient storage for your personal items. Has all the toys, like heated grips, electro-adjustable windscreen, even has GPS and a stereo available as an option. You're riding in an upright-forward position i.e., like a sport bike, but somewhat more upright and relaxed so its easier on your wrists. Its also fairly light, only about 500 lbs or so.

K1200LT (their answer to the Wing) - less torque but much more powerful engine, which unfortunately translates to about the same HP as the R1200RT due to this bike's size (over 800 lbs). Its a touring bike, so fit is more like a cruiser. This one's got all the toys too, plus a lot of extra room for your gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think my suzuki cruiser is very nice, and I'm pleased with it! Last summer I took mine on a trip to Trondheim and back. Drove 320 miles up, only doing very short stops, and drove back home again a few days after. I almost froze to death, but that was because I was stupid and didn't dress properly. The bike was really comfy.

I'm not saying I don't miss my VLX, because I do, but the VOL is a nice bike too... until I can afford the VTX1300, hehe... 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts