Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the more I read the more bad reviews I find on the Fram 6017A!! And of course I find this out after I buy three of them! So what is everybody else using? I realize I'm going to get a vriety of opinions. My bike is an 02 SS 750. I change the oil every 1,000 to 1,500 and use Castrol GTX

Ron

· Registered
1,718 Posts
Well, just about any filter you could buy would be better than the Fram. I read the reports, yep, I've cut them open, yep, they will work, but they are not cheap! because they have that little motorcycle on the box doesn't impress me.
With the options of,
Wix,
Napa,
Purolator,
Bosch,
Mobil,
Super Tech,
Advance House brand for $2.48 (AA-6607)

The problem with the Fram filter is in the pressed paperboard end caps that are glued to the media, it can flake apart, its not likely and usually does not. The other lesser problem they have is in the pressure relief valve, and the anti back-flow valve.
MarkC

· Registered
369 Posts
How about these personal experiences with Fram

Moses said:
Nothin wrong with those filters. Some guys on the web cut them apart to see the inside. So what did that prove? Nothin, they're OK to use. Been using them for years.
Five years ago I was working for GM Service Parts on a filter consolidation team to reduce the number of filters that GM uses. After the team reviewed the manufacture/design of Fram filters it was decided that GM would no longer use Fram as a backup source for GM specific designs, only for those applications that AC Delco stocks for Ford, Chrysler, Etc.
At the same time I was evaluating every filter I was using on my cars, trucks and Motorcycle. I would disassemble every filter that came off and when I opened up the Fram 6017A from my Shadow the pleated filter media was not properly overlapped where the ends come together. This left a gapping hole wher the oil could bypass the filter media back to the engine. So basically, I ran the bike for 2,500 miles without a filter.

· Registered
4,689 Posts
I am thinking.....place on fence post shoot them with .357 mag, watch them jump.....at least they wouldn't be a total loss.

Actually if you are changing filters at 1000 or 1500 miles, I would just use them up.

· Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
I was riding with a friend who had a Fram filter spring a leak at the seam. We had to buy a new filter and some oil to replace the oil that leaked out of the filter.........
I used to think Fram filters were okay until I had to crawl like a worm on the side of the road to help change a defective oil filter on a motorcycle!

I'd use a Wal-Mart filter produced in some 3rd-world country and assembled by abused children who earn 3-cents a day before I'd use a Fram!
(actually I wouldn't use a Wal-Mart filter either, Sorry Mark)
Phil

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll use up the last two Fram's that I have which won't take long as I change oiland filter about every 1,500 miles. I did pick up a couple of the SuperTech filters to try. The SuperTech is a little longer then the Fram, the body wall felt a little stiffer then the Fram.

· Registered
1,718 Posts
A used Fram 6017A I cut apart, I flaked the paper ends apart for the picture.
The other thing about the paper-board ends is that the rubber anti back-flow valve can seal against the rough paper surface.

Now I have been looking at the Fram TG line of filters, (tough guard) from the outside in they look better than the standard Fram's but I'll have to buy one and cut it open to see how its put together.
If its better made then maybe the Fram filter lovers will have something that can use and feel a little better about.
I'm pretty sure I saw a Fram TG-7317, so I'll see about buying one and taking a hack saw to it.
MarkC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.