Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,781 Posts
Fram are not a quality filter anymore. Look for a cross-reference number.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,815 Posts
Any of these will fit your ride. I've used Bosch filters for years now.

Blue Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
19,191 Posts
I use NAPA Pro-Select 21365 for $5 or so...
Coming up on 175,000 miles oil change in less than 400 miles, I bought (GN4 10w 40 @ $5.99 each) oil & filter yesterday...

I change every 5000 miles,
Dennis

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,781 Posts
My choice nowadays is genuine Honda GN-4. Can't go wrong.
There are other good oils too which can start a 3 month discussion.
But make sure what ever you use is a motorcycle oil rated for WET CLUTCHES. MA ratings are best.

Reactions: theblooms

·
Registered
38 Posts
GN-4 is competitively priced, so I use that as well.

Whatever you do, DON'T use any type of regular car oil at all. Like Swifty said above, you have to have get motorcycle specific oil made for wet clutches.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,075 Posts
one thing i hate to ask. whats a good oil from advance auto to use on the bike? on my harley i just use the v twin oil.
I believe Advance has Mobil 1 and maybe Castrol. I wouldn't use Valvoline dino but finding Honda GN4, nobody but bike shops would carry it. Walmart carries their Supertech brand but not familiar how good it is.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
3,816 Posts
I have run Rotella T4 I’m my bike since it was new and Wix and Bosch filters. I have not had any problems with these items in seven years.

I have seen many posts stating that Rotella has changed their formula. The next oil and filter change I will be going to the Honda GN-4 oil and Honda filter. I may do one oil change a year so the time researching what is good to use in the bike is just really not worth it for me.

You don’t need a dealer just get online and order what you need.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1994 GL1500SE Goldwing
1,042 Posts
Fram is fine.
Don't listen to those stuck 20 years ago. Fram had issues a long time ago, but it has been addressed and they work just fine.
Everybody seems to have a story of a buddies friends cousins sisters dog that had a Fram issue, but seems there are no first hand recent bad experiences.

The 6607 is the same as the recommended PH6017A, but orange instead of black.
The 7317 is the same filter, just a bit longer, and a 9688 is longer and fatter than the 6607. A 3593a is very similar in size to the 9688, but is harder to find now days.

I have a PH7317 on my Goldwing and a XG3593a on my Nighthawk (and have used Fram for a long time on other vehicles).

If you are doing a flush, find the cheapest 15w-40 diesel truck oil you can find and use that.
You can even use it for your regular oil change as well.
I am currently running Supertech 15w-40 in my Goldwing and Peak 15w-40 in my Nighthawk, and have used several other brands of 15w-40 oils in all my bikes with good results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts