1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the scenario:
back block plugs in my opinion look great

front block plugs look mega lean!

idle sounds good, no skipping. Removed plugs to check compression, all four blowing fine. I have new carb boots, I have new carb boot clamps, carb went through the ultrasonic wash a month ago. Have checked for leaks with a torch.

another issue is that mega lean front block is spitting liquid:

these are brand new plugs and these results with the plugs are moving at 1/4 throttle in first gear for 2 minutes straight.

what do you think the issue could be? Ignition coil? I took the plugs out too and tested the spark on the engine too and all seemed fine.

Thoughts? Im

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’d go ride it for a half hour or so then reevaluate. 2 minutes of idling doesn’t tell you much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d go ride it for a half hour or so then reevaluate. 2 minutes of idling doesn’t tell you much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking about that. I got a dynojet needle and am in the middle of tuning it. I warmed up the bike for 10 mins and then did 1/8 throttle for 2 mins pulled the plugs. 1/4 throttle 2 mins then pulled the plugs and the above photos are the results.

here’s a photo of all the plugs after 40miles but the clip position was one richer than it is now.

the bottom two are the front block

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,144 Posts
Here’s the scenario:
back block plugs in my opinion look great
View attachment 289144

front block plugs look mega lean!
View attachment 289145

idle sounds good, no skipping. Removed plugs to check compression, all four blowing fine. I have new carb boots, I have new carb boot clamps, carb went through the ultrasonic wash a month ago. Have checked for leaks with a torch.

another issue is that mega lean front block is spitting liquid:
View attachment 289146

these are brand new plugs and these results with the plugs are moving at 1/4 throttle in first gear for 2 minutes straight.

what do you think the issue could be? Ignition coil? I took the plugs out too and tested the spark on the engine too and all seemed fine.

Thoughts? Im
How did the bike run before you decided to fix it by rejetting it?

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,847 Posts
It looks like to me that the first plug is dark and sooty which would mean it's running rich. The other plug might be a little lean but not much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did the bike run before you decided to fix it by rejetting it?
It was black black rich and would need to change plugs every 60-70km. That’s when it was 42 pilot , 45 main and stock needle with 2 shins. Got the dyno needle and it’s been a challenge with the super tapered needle. I’ve found that 35 pilot and 40 main have been a sweet spot so far

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,660 Posts
Can't you even get it running at a fair speed and nurse it up to full throttle?
Then look at the plugs.
Getting full throttle right is the first and most critical thing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't you even get it running at a fair speed and nurse it up to full throttle?
Then look at the plugs.
Getting full throttle right is the first and most critical thing.
I could do that. I just figured In tuning the bike i was suppose to start with pilots a work my way up.
I set the AF and idle nicely. Then moved on to1/8 throttle, then 1/4 and my next step was going to be 1/2 then wot but I stopped at 1/4 cause of this issue. I didn’t think it made sense to keep going when one block isn’t working properly

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
No, Main jets effect everything except the idle circuit so work backwards from that.
Go here and follow the proceedure for "Low RPM Engines" and you will be working in the right direction.
At some point you will probably end up with different size main jets front to back to make the plugs look right, but you have to get there first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, Main jets effect everything except the idle circuit so work backwards from that.
Go here and follow the proceedure for "Low RPM Engines" and you will be working in the right direction.
At some point you will probably end up with different size main jets front to back to make the plugs look right, but you have to get there first.
Ahhh. That doesn’t make sense to me. But if that’s the way you are suppose to do it. Then that is what I’ll do! My theory would be testing wot would be tough since you have to go through the other settings to get there and it would mix.

but I get you want top end to be perfect and then others can follow.

even with the front being lean it doesn’t make sense with all the liquid spitting out that exhaust? Like must be misfiring and pushing the liquid out?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Look at it this way.
The main jet size effects the needle jet flow as it is screwed into the bottom of the tube where the fuel is sucked up and the the needle jet and jet needle can't really be tuned until you get that nailed down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look at it this way.
The main jet size effects the needle jet flow as it is screwed into the bottom of the tube where the fuel is sucked up and the the needle jet and jet needle can't really be tuned until you get that nailed down.
That makes absolute sense to me now! And I did some reading after reading your post and I’ll be doing the steps that you recommend.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
That front plug looks not too bad, the back one looks either fuel wet or oily which is strange.
What does the other rear plug look like? Is it oil or gas? Does it spark?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That front plug looks not too bad, the back one looks either fuel wet or oily which is strange.
What does the other rear plug look like? Is it oil or gas? Does it spark?
All four have good spark. At least when I take them out and test them on the block.

it’s a dry soot. The pic above does look wet. But maybe it was a weird angle at which I took the pic.

It rides great. When new plugs are in. But after going for a 10 min ride and gunning it from 1/8 to 1/2 it sputters like a vacuum leak. But have checked with a unlit torch and have found nothing. I could gun it before the 10 mins and no spudder

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I always check for boot leaks with spray carb cleaner, it might be worth a check after it has warmed up for those 10 minutes to eliminate that.
A mechanic I learned a lot of stuff from used to use a acetylene torch.

If that check doesn't show anything unusual I'd up size the pilots to 38's and reduce the main jet on the rear cylinder by one step and see what happens.
You have boot burner or backdraft pipes on that don't you?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts