Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the sticky on switch cleaning but nothing about the micro switch. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. So is it possible to do anything with it? I removed the wires and cleaned them and the switch spades but still the same. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
You could get lucky!
IF you were to spray contact cleaner into the slider/plunger opening, some of the cleaner MAY reach the electrical contacts and clean them, but MAYBE not???
Check to be sure the slider/plunger is operating correctly too..

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I may be wrong, but you might unplug both wires and jump them and see if the light works.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I may be wrong, but you might unplug both wires and jump them and see if the light works.
No, you're right. Same for the back brake.
I've had very good luck using WD40 for all the switches on the handlebars. Clutch switch, both brake switches, headlamp and turn signal switches. Some folks say to use contact cleaner but I feel that WD leaves enough light solvent/lubricant and some moisture displacement behind to really help.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I'll give it a shot and let ya know what happens. Ride on ride safe !

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Both!!!!

Contact cleaner and WD-40.... Contact cleaner solvents are designed to dissolve carbon deposits left by the gentle arcing that occurs as the switch opens and closes and it leaves no residue. WD-40 (Water Displacement formula #40), if I remember right, was designed by the military to spray into wet distributor caps to get vehicles running again. It has lubricating properties and won't cause problems with the electrical connection.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
So is it possible to do anything with it?
Sometimes they just go bad. Not really waterproof. Easy enough to replace. I got tired of trying to nurse mine along so I dropped the $12 (or so) to get a new one next time I ordered parts for something. 35340-MM5-600

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
As a TV technician, in the drum type contact tuners in TVs, we cleaned the contacts with cleaner, then lubed with lubricant made for electrical contacts...
Radio Shack still carries these products for switches and other contacts...
(last I knew anyhow)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

I still use these today

·
Registered
354 Posts
As a TV technician, in the drum type contact tuners in TVs, we cleaned the contacts with cleaner, then lubed with lubricant made for electrical contacts...
(last I knew anyhow)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

I still use these today
In 1985 I was a manager trainee for a retail Radio Shack store in Ft. Worth. I was told to always push the COLOR TV tuner cleaner rather than the regular tuner cleaner. They were really both the same but the color version had a better profit margin. Thankfully, I saw that I did not want a career in retail and went into REAL electronics. 25 years of industrial electronics I still cringe a little whenever I go to Radio Shack.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
(last I knew anyhow)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

I still use these today
servisol switch cleaner..

Wow..are you talking about the old rotary tuners with a tuned slug that they stopped using in the sixties.. not quite the same as the little plastic $2 type switch they use on handlebars.. I didn't realise you were so old..

People over 60 should not be allowed to ride motorcycles..

John.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
In 1985 I was a manager trainee for a retail Radio Shack store in Ft. Worth. I was told to always push the COLOR TV tuner cleaner rather than the regular tuner cleaner. They were really both the same but the color version had a better profit margin. Thankfully, I saw that I did not want a career in retail and went into REAL electronics. 25 years of industrial electronics I still cringe a little whenever I go to Radio Shack.

Yeah, being a family owned business, we cringed when Radio Shack opened in Sebring, FL too...
The contact cleaner we used had the lubricating ingredients = so it said on the label = cleaner - lube...
BUT we also used a wash to clean out the lubes that non smart do it yourself people sprayed into their tuners and made a mess...

AHH the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

When I cleaned the switches on my handlebars, I used an EJC paste type lube...
I`ve not had to go back inside since 08 :D

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Well then... it's a good thing that in two years I'll only be celebrating my 39th birthday (for the 22nd time) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
servisol switch cleaner..

Wow..are you talking about the old rotary tuners with a tuned slug that they stopped using in the sixties.. not quite the same as the little plastic $2 type switch they use on handlebars.. I didn't realise you were so old..

John.

I`m still 60 ;) for a couple more weeks you gotta let me ride :D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Front brake switches, nowadays, are priced at a dime (free shipping) for example, ebay, Amazon.com: Honda Brake Light Stop Switch Honda Shadow Ace American Classic 1100 800 700 500: Automotive"]amazon, search for your specific bike, fitment wise it's about generic for almost all Shadows & different brands of bikes too. Just simpler to buy new.

If you're interested in this kind of things, it's just a momentary push-button switch. A lever and fulcrum bridges the two prongs internally .... return spring shown at bottom of the pics. It's all mechanical. There's no mystery electrical board in there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm 57. ride the speed limit most of the time. Full stops at stop signs. Signals at lane changes and turns. Occasionally, just every so often if I'm on a deserted clear road with an unobstructed view in good conditions I wrap it tight and really horse down on it, ride like a bat outta hell until I see that conditions require me to slow and get back to normal.
The difference is that in 1974 I rode that way all the time.
Old age brings two things I see in my life a lot. Wisdom gained from years of doing things the wrong way. Also the liberating freedom of not giving a tinker's damn what other people think.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Turn 61 in April.
We be outlaws.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
You think them "protests" are bad in our country now?

Just wait till I tell my riding buddies that we`re Too Old to Ride...

I`ve worked hard all my life so I can enjoy life now :D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
61years of age in February. Still a 21 year old Hippie mentally.

You think them "protests" are bad in our country now?

Just wait till I tell my riding buddies that we`re Too Old to Ride...

I`ve worked hard all my life so I can enjoy life now :D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis
Amen!

Also: Old Age and Treachery will always win out, over Youth and Exuberance!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts