Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This only started recently. I heard it faintly a couple weeks ago but it got very noticeable with rain the last two evenings. Once the bike's been running for awhile (so the brake's been used a few times) it seems to go away, or at least lessen ... but the first few stops it sounds like I'm rolling through a sitting puddle of water when I hit the brake - and ONLY when I hit the brake. If I let off the lever, the sound stops immediately.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
What bike? How many miles? Where do you live? Do you store it inside or outside? You say lever, so is it the front disc? How long does the bike sit before the sound happens again? Car rotors can form a rust haze overnight if left outside in the damp. They make a rubbing sound until the haze is rubbed off the rotor by the brake pad. I'm not sure if MC rotors are as prone to rust, but that's all I can think of that would go away after a couple of squeezes and then recur the next time you ride ans stop as soon as you release the lever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
600 Shadow, 1996. 43,700 miles I think. Arizona, so its typically dry, but been damp and light rain the last few days.

Yes, its the front disc brake I am talking about. Doesn't seem to matter if its parked inside or out, it happens either way. It's just been real noticeable the last couple days with it being damp outdoors.

Doesn't seem like a rubbing sound, its a sloshing water sound.

My back brake also squeals when its damp out, but that's another issue... I'm worried that the front brake noise is something potentially dangerous. If there's something seriously wrong I'll make haste to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
With 43K+, 18 years old, and unknown storage conditions, could be a dragging brake or perhaps a front wheel bearing. Get the front end off the ground, have someone hold the handlebars firmly or lock it in place, grab the front wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and twist it back and forth. If you feel a lot of play or clunking, wheel bearing. If not, clean and inspect your front brake and hydraulic system.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Noise is Typical of disc brakes as Air is trapped in the cooling holes passing through the pads...
I`ve not heard of this noise being referred to as sloshing though...

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it might actually be the forks now. I was in a parking lot this afternoon with a few speed bumps and the noise would occur while riding over those. It makes sense that it would happen when braking because of the pressure moving forward, and ends when the brake is released as the pressure is released.

What could cause this? I did just have the forks resealed a few thousand miles ago...

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Brake dust will cause a squeal in the rear drum. I would visually check the rear shoes.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
I think it might actually be the forks now. I was in a parking lot this afternoon with a few speed bumps and the noise would occur while riding over those. It makes sense that it would happen when braking because of the pressure moving forward, and ends when the brake is released as the pressure is released.

What could cause this? I did just have the forks resealed a few thousand miles ago...
Did you by any chance call and ask whoever did your forks why the hell your forks make a noise like "I'm riding through a sitting puddle of water"? If someone's been into your front end, that should be the first guy you talk to.:roll:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Makes me wonder if the sloshing sound could be a sucking sound. Forks can make that sound sometimes. Some do it if they're low on oil and air/oil mixture passes through the damper valves, some just do it all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brake dust will cause a squeal in the rear drum. I would visually check the rear shoes.
It's had the issue for awhile, and I took it apart once to take a look and clean up anything I found (which was nothing), and recently had the whole bike apart and (amongst other things) replaced the brakes and cleaned everything in there real well. The rear wheel squeal only happens when the bike is cold and especially in damp weather. It eventually goes away, usually after one or two stops. :-?

Did you by any chance call and ask whoever did your forks why the hell your forks make a noise like "I'm riding through a sitting puddle of water"? If someone's been into your front end, that should be the first guy you talk to.:roll:
I haven't had a chance to call them yet, with the hours I'm working, and the fact that I usually think to call on a Monday (when they're closed). The forks were done by a shop I trust and I don't doubt they'd fix anything wrong and/or do a good job if this is something else... but since I have not gotten in touch with them yet and I'm not quite sure what the problem is, I thought (pardon me!) I would see what the people here thought, so maybe I could give them a more accurate description when I do call.

Do forgive me for asking a question. Maybe next time don't bother wasting your time with a reply if its such an annoyance to you? :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Wow. If you had mentioned all the work you have done with your bike in your first post I would have not said a word.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
WOW!

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

On my second cup, so excuse my sleepiness...

My rear squeals after I clear away brake residue until it builds up again...
Yeah, I`d be asking the fork repairer, what about warranty, on this noise???

But I wear a patch which reads > don`t shout at me, I`m a volunteer...

Laptop diagnostics and reading ones replies can be taken wrongly...

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Originally Posted by smilie

I haven't had a chance to call them yet, with the hours I'm working, and the fact that I usually think to call on a Monday (when they're closed). The forks were done by a shop I trust and I don't doubt they'd fix anything wrong and/or do a good job if this is something else... but since I have not gotten in touch with them yet and I'm not quite sure what the problem is, I thought (pardon me!) I would see what the people here thought, so maybe I could give them a more accurate description when I do call.

Do forgive me for asking a question. Maybe next time don't bother wasting your time with a reply if its such an annoyance to you?

No need to get your knickers in a twist this is a forum where people try to help each other..smilie, was trying to help..none of us can see your bike or hear the sloshing sound and you did start off by telling us you had a problem with your front brake, at that point I would have suggested that you might have reassembled the front brake incorrectly and that you strip it again..The last thing worked on is a good place to look for any connected faults and even the experts can make mistakes..

If you haven't had time to call the person who did the last repair and you have had this issue for some time then you are possibly not going to have enough time to act on any suggestions any of us might make..

So maybe you are wasting our time..

John.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
It's had the issue for awhile, and I took it apart once to take a look and clean up anything I found (which was nothing), and recently had the whole bike apart and (amongst other things) replaced the brakes and cleaned everything in there real well. The rear wheel squeal only happens when the bike is cold and especially in damp weather. It eventually goes away, usually after one or two stops. :-?

Do forgive me for asking a question. Maybe next time don't bother wasting your time with a reply if its such an annoyance to you? :roll:
Sorry to offend your sensibilities, but when you perform a dozen different operations on a bike, come on here and ask why does my bike go thump, clatter, boom, without any background on what you've done, my crystal ball just locks up. Maybe it just needs a tune up. Good luck with your issues.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I'm sorry, you asked a question???
I'm sorry you asked a question!!!!

Same words, different meaning. It's hard to sense a 'tone' through text. Not always, but most of the time if you actually heard the person say something that annoyed you, you might take it differently. Emocons are another problem sometimes, one mans :roll: could be annoyance, another man's :roll: could be confusion or questioning. I try to always assume the best and when I'm wrong, well they can go to you know where!!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
260 Posts
When my fork seals blew out it sounded like a "sloshing" in the front end... I thought it was the breaks at first, but when I stopped I pushed down on the handle bars to move the forks up and down and I realized the fork seal had blown on the right side. Call your shop and take it in. Even though they may have done work correctly they could have had a bad part go into your bike. It is not uncommon for that to happen.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Ahh .. but can you spell guarantee?

And colour, and armour, and night, and tyre?

John.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts