Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 honda shadow spirit 750dc 21800 miles......so my front caliper was hanging up perdiocally so I took it cleaned everything replaced all the seals lubed and put it back together....so now im bleeding it and cant get the brake pads to close down onto the rotor any suggestions

· Registered
110 Posts
It took me a very long time to bleed mine and then even longer to find pressure...my manual told me that if the brakes were still spongy to depress the brake lever and leave it that way for an hour or so. It seemed to help.

· Premium Member
3,028 Posts
2002 honda shadow spirit 750dc 21800 miles......so my front caliper was hanging up perdiocally so I took it cleaned everything replaced all the seals lubed and put it back together....so now im bleeding it and cant get the brake pads to close down onto the rotor any suggestions
When you say the pads won't close down onto the rotor, do you mean when you squeeze the lever the pads actually don't make contact on the rotor? Or, do you mean the pads won't grip while the rotor spins? Did you rebuild the caliper, or just replace "seals"? I ask because it's possible your caliper pistons are hung up.

Now, if it's a bleeding issue where you have little to no pressure at the lever, here's a simple tip: let it sit. Yep, fill the brake fluid reservoir, let it sit while periodically checking the fluid level and depressing the lever. Gravity will work out all the bubbles over time, sometimes overnight. I've used the MightyVac, and had no luck ... some have, I did not. We're fortunate with the vertical design of a bike's brake lines as compared to those of a car, in that gravity can be our friend. :mrgreen:

· Registered
110 Posts
Great! I got discouraged when I did mine as well. Thought, at first that I was going to have to order a new master cylinder. Just takes a while sometimes.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,487 Posts
Well after I good bleeding where I drained the master thru twice and then letting the bike sit over night with the brake handle zip tied down I now have the pads moving and stopping
Zip tie? Overnite? :???: You better hope all the air bubbles did escape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.