Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 750CD Shadow Deluxe ACE has 15,000, and I'm told bounce in the front end might be fork related. Is it possible to check fork oil level w/o removing forks, and if needed can I fill while installed on the bike?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
gupper said:
My 2001 750CD Shadow Deluxe ACE has 15,000, and I'm told bounce in the front end might be fork related. Is it possible to check fork oil level w/o removing forks, and if needed can I fill while installed on the bike?
Possible fork problem but I would check the tire first, have it checked for out of round and balanced.

You can add fork oil, but, if it's not leaking it should have the same amount in them as when they were new. Forks don't use oil like a motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put new dunlops on Sept/06 and have less of a bounce than before, but still wonder if it might be forks! Is it possible to check the oil w/o removing the forks from the bike?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
gupper said:
I put new dunlops on Sept/06 and have less of a bounce than before, but still wonder if it might be forks! Is it possible to check the oil w/o removing the forks from the bike?
Yes- You will have to get the specs from a service manual or possibly in the MOM it should be a meaurement of inches from the top of the fork tube.

Lift the bike, remove the fork caps (under spring pressure so watch yourself) remove the pre-load spacer, washer and spring on both forks.
Compress both forks completely and take a measurement of the oil level from the top of the fork tube to the oil level, adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If the bounce is at lower speeds (or a certain speed band that is less than maybe 45 mph) then your tire is likely out of round on the rim, or the rim is bent a bit. If the bounce just keeps getting worse as you go faster and faster then your tire is unbalanced.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Check your tires. My 01 did this last year. it turned out that the tire was cupped. New tires took care of it.
I had the bike maybe 2 years. They still looked good to me but the problem went away w/ the old tires.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
gupper

Might be good idea to check your steering stem bearings for tightness.

Get the front wheel off the ground and grab both fork tubes next to the wheel bolts, see if it wiggles front to back. The stem nut sometimes loosens up, happened to me once. The repair manual should tell how to check this.

Gumpy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.