Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to get an LED into my 2012 Shadow Spirit with no success. The housing is too small.
The best option I found is to replace the stock bulb with a high-intensity bulb. It's about $40.
Now thinking about the brake light and if there is a similar option for the back.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I have been trying to get an LED into my 2012 Shadow Spirit with no success. The housing is too small.
The best option I found is to replace the stock bulb with a high-intensity bulb. It's about $40.
Now thinking about the brake light and if there is a similar option for the back.
I've put 2 in my 1100 spirit and one in my wife's VLX. The Opt7 in my spirit was a challenge because it has a ballast but it will work. I've replaced it and put one in the VLX with one from superbrightleds with no ballast. Very easy plenty of room in both buckets.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts

The bolded above does not say anything. Need more information on what you are referring to.

I have a "high-intensity bulb" in my Suzuki cruiser that would melt the start button switch (very expensive to replace) and possibly the wiring if I used it on my Honda Shadow Spirit. That's because it pulls 100 watts.

If the bulb you have your eye on is what I think it is, that's exactly what will happen to your Honda.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Silverstar is what I use and have gotten as much as 50,000 mi. I travel at night a lot but my Valk headlight reflector is far superior than the average Shadow headlight. Silverstar Ultra are brighter but don't hold up as long and $30 a pop..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed a better bulb, 50 watts. Meh. It's certainly brighter than the stock, but probably not enough to significantly increase visibility during daytime.
I wish LED's could be put in there, but so far no one has come up with a solution.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Is there a type LED unit that the ballast is separate from the bulb ?

My 1983 vt750 bucket is very full of wiring also and I wondered if there is an alternative LED set up?
Many of the HID types have a harness out to the ballast.

Here is one I found but it still has a big piece on the tail end. But I read that is a cooling fan so it may be necessary that way.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-led-headlight-conversion-kit

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Is there a type LED unit that the ballast is separate from the bulb ?

My 1983 vt750 bucket is very full of wiring also and I wondered if there is an alternative LED set up?
Many of the HID types have a harness out to the ballast.

Here is one I found but it still has a big piece on the tail end. But I read that is a cooling fan so it may be necessary that way.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-led-headlight-conversion-kit
Look at this one. I put it both my spirit and my wife's VLX. works great!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-high-beam-and-low-beam-headlight-bulb/motorcycle-h4-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink-2000-lumens/3930/8566/?make=32&model=3533&scc_id=1940&year=2002

Good guys ride black bikes!!!!

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Great idea !

·
Registered
346 Posts
Alec where in LA are you? I put LED headlight on my 1100 ACE with no problem. I'll try to find thread where I put instructions but if you want maybe we can meet up.

EDIT:

Here's the thread where I had put instructions and link to opt7 bulb.
https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-bike-discussion/565680-headlight-driving-light-suggestions-2.html

I will add, my low beam went out after about 3 or 4 months (used daily), I emailed them and they shipped me one right away free of charge. I think they have a 2 year warranty. Good customer service.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I installed a better bulb, 50 watts. Meh. It's certainly brighter than the stock, but probably not enough to significantly increase visibility during daytime.
I wish LED's could be put in there, but so far no one has come up with a solution.

Do you run in high beam during day light hours? I do. That makes the headlight brighter without blinding people, at least during the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
CoreyP
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing