Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its maybe a stupid question but what is the different between the front and rear cylinder?:-?

·
Banned
821 Posts
the front cylinder is... in the front.... the rear is located somewhere towards the aftmost region of your engine cradle.
also, the rear runs hotter on a v-twin than the front

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Your bike is a v-twin. It has a front cylinder and a rear cylinder. Depending on the year and model of your bike they are either 45 degrees or 52 degrees from each other. Judging by your username, it looks like you may have a 1985. They are 52 degrees apart.

Edit: I see you have a 1983 shadow.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
821 Posts
maybe he took his bike apart and got confused as to which is which.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the cylinder itself different or only the mounting?

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i compared them and they look the same, except there is number 1 and 2 written in the cylinder head so i guess 1 is front and 2 is the back :roll: i checked the manual but theres nothing specific for front and rear.

·
Banned
821 Posts
hmm.... in your case i'd flip a coin. more than likely you wont be able to put everything back together if you've got it backwards.
worst case scenario, your throttle becomes reverse and you've got yourself a nice new breezeway in your garage

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know which is front and rear n i put them back together but i mixed up the cam chain tensioner :) can somebody tell me which one is which?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nobody a idea???? I got a long one and the other one is like 1 inch shorter, i dont wanna put them in and **** something up :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i already tried to figure it out with that one but i t doesnt help. Thanks anyway :)

·
Banned
821 Posts
hmm.... if I were to construct a bike......
a longer cylinder.... it would suggest a longer stroke.... if there was a longer stroking piston on a dual cylinder engine, where would I put it.... and why?

i'd put it in the front because it has a longer distance to travel than the rear.
I still say things wont fit right if it isn't assembled correctly. do you mean cylinder as in jug or a piston ring?

·
Registered
986 Posts
He's talking about the chain tensioners not the cylinders sparrow.

They should not be different at all. They are the same length and the same mounting position, with the same mounting points, and the same part numbers. One is probably different from the other due to the PO using another one off of another bike, since these are discontinued parts.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Part number in case you are wondering

14510-ME9-020

·
Banned
821 Posts
ah, my bad. it was late last night when I got back from the shop, high as hell on bondo lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you were right they are the same length, one was stuck so it was a bit shorter lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts