Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you have time on your hands,and some old wall warts, you can find diodes in them that should work fine.
There are different types and sizes but even the small ones should be fine for an LED bulb.
This will isolate the indicator bulb if that is all you need to do=
thanks swiftly. Over the years you have helped me out a lot. I ordered the kurklands(?) from Amazon. I am hoping this will help/fix this. Ugh. But I am sure I will be coming to ask about something. It’s never easy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That link would work, but it's $15+ for two 39 cent diodes and 20 cents worth of wire.
hi old guy. I just like to ask cpl more questions. just be clear. now according to the directions of:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TK7XMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the blue wire from diode goes to one of the blue from signallight(tree) the other blue wire connects to black which goes to a ground. Correct? the other 2 red wires from diode go to lb wire on wire harness(right signal light), then other red wire goes to orange(left signal light)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0847/8734/files/completeVLXdiagram.jpg?12525558290793905965

correct? thanks again

·
Registered
818 Posts
The 2 red wires connect to the left and right signals from the harness at the indicator bulb. Under the heatshrink are 2 diodes connected to the red wires. Other end of the diodes (silver band end) both connect to the blue wire, which then connects to one side of the indicator light. The black wire connects to the other side of the indicator light and goes to ground.

The indicator used to ground through the non-working side's turn signal bulb filament. (which only added a couple ohms resistance to the circuit) Your LED bulbs being diodes themselves, wont allow that backward current flow, so this setup still allows both sides to use the same indicator. The stock setup is also why you cant replace the indicator bulb with an LED as only one side would blink if you still had oem bulbs, neither side would blink the indicator with led turn signals. without using this mod to give the indicator a ground.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The 2 red wires connect to the left and right signals from the harness at the indicator bulb. Under the heatshrink are 2 diodes connected to the red wires. Other end of the diodes (silver band end) both connect to the blue wire, which then connects to one side of the indicator light. The black wire connects to the other side of the indicator light and goes to ground.

The indicator used to ground through the non-working side's turn signal bulb filament. (which only added a couple ohms resistance to the circuit) Your LED bulbs being diodes themselves, wont allow that backward current flow, so this setup still allows both sides to use the same indicator. The stock setup is also why you cant replace the indicator bulb with an LED as only one side would blink if you still had oem bulbs, neither side would blink the indicator with led turn signals. without using this mod to give the indicator a ground.
Thank you so much.

I did a lot of trouble shooting. The led's that on the rear. work. I ran a hot from battery on both left and right. Now on the fronts. I ran a hot from battery, and hooking ground from light to battery left and right. Nothing. I also, don't have neutral light on tree.

I hooked up my old FRONTS with 8w bulb like it was before. it works. but still no neutral light at tree, when I go to turn the signal on, both rears will flash.

I hope this diode thing will help. this is getting frustrating.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

it works it works. :) thanks so much for the help. learn something new everyday

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,721 Posts
Great to hear.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts