Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the ends are in the carbs and you pull back the boots on them, when the choke is off should the metal ends come out and when the choke is on should the metal ends be firmly in?

I am still fighting my air/fuel mixture. It's still too rich with the pilot screws turned out .5 turns :(

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
When the ends are in the carbs and you pull back the boots on them, when the choke is off should the metal ends come out and when the choke is on should the metal ends be firmly in?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but let me rephrase it in a different way and see if that answers your question. When the "enricher" is OFF, the little metal plungers on the end of the spring should seat all the way in the carb. When the enricher is ON, the plungers pull out of the cavity. How far they pull out depends on how much enrichment you apply.

So if the plungers are not seating properly when the enricher is OFF, that would cause your a/f to be more rich than if the plungers were seating correctly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I eventually got pissed off enough to pull the damn carbs out so I could get to the choke cables. I took them off and they open and close correctly. I cleaned them with carb cleaner and put them back in. My guess is this ******* bike will still run rich. Here it is an 80°F in Illinois and I can't ride because of this POS bike.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Stupid question, but have you checked the air filter?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am really puzzled. Why is my bike running too rich? I know it is running too rich because I can start it, let it run and give it throttle on and off for maybe 15 minutes, turn it off, take the spark plugs out, and they are blackened.

I have tried the air/fuel mixture screws. They are currently set to .5 turns from closed and it is still too rich.

I am going to lose this really nice day to ride over this bike :(

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Not a stupid question. Yes it is brand new. Bought it about 2 weeks ago and it is still brand new looking.
Ruled out vacuum leaks? Crimped or blocked air passages?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now I have the bike completely opened up to air. The entire air breather is removed. When I have the carbs on, the only things connected are the secondary air filter hoses, the breather tubes, and the fuel lines. It's the only way I can adjust the pilot screw on the front carb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check the vacum hoses

If you had the enrichment cables out, you almost had to take off the air box...it is really easy to crimp one of the vacum hoses when reinstalling the air box. Had one almost drive me over the edge.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So it runs fine on the road but still dies when you let it sit and idle for a while?
Yes and no. It was decent on the road, but I could feel the engine was not always firing on two cylinders. It's a little windy today, but it is still warm enough to ride. I am going to go out to the garage and inspect all four spark plugs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.