Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new proud owner of a 2009 shadow Aero. embrassing to ask but in the absence of a any fuel gauge, how do you know it's time to fill up with petrol during a ride? thanks,

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Tripmeter, reset at each fill-up - you will get a feel for how far you can go prior to hitting reserve.

Some people just ride until they hit reserve, I find it a bit dangerous having to fiddle with the petcock while passing a tractor trailer at 70+mph as the bike starts to stutter, or while turning left in front of oncoming traffic.....better to just fill up every 120-130 miles.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
sammy7133 said:
Hi, I'm a new proud owner of a 2009 shadow Aero. embrassing to ask but in the absence of a any fuel gauge, how do you know it's time to fill up with petrol during a ride? thanks,
Hi Sammy:

No, it isn't an embarrassing question at all. Fill up the fuel tank. Reset your trip meter. Drive about 75 miles and refill your fuel tank. How much fuel did it require? Now you can do some simple math and discover what kind of fuel economy you are getting. I am currently getting about 32 MPG and I have 4 gallons of fuel capacity.

Hope that helps!

regards,

·
Registered
944 Posts
+1. This is why you have the trip odometer.

I agree with Phil, that riding until you hit reserve isn't usually the best idea. But you could do this once, in an area you're familiar with, that has plenty of gas stations around, just to find out a starting point for your range.

My 06 1100 Spirit gets between 42-45 mpg. I'd expect yours to get at least 50-55 being an 750.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drive 100 miles on your full tank then get gas. Note how much it takes, like for example, 2.2 gallons. If that's the case, now you know you get around 45 mpg (yes I'm sorry, there's math involved - lol).
So you have a 3.7 tank with a .9 reserve... So a 2.8 regular tank ... Times 45 mpg = 125 miles before needing your reserve.
Mind you these are all estimates.
Now you just need to remember to zero out your trip odometer every time you get gas.

Sounds like a hassle, but my last bike had a fuel gauge, and I still always tracked it this way. I like knowing how many miles are left on the tank.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Agreed you can try to run it until you need reserve once to get an idea of how much range you got but I don't think it is a good thing to make a habit of. Imagine traveling along with a cement mixer on your tail at 65mph, the bike stutters, almost dies, you go to flip the valve, it coughs and sputters a couple times, the bike loses 20 mph and the truck driver was gazing at some seat covers going the other way. Bye Bye
Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use the trip meter. Will fill at about 130 miles. I just don't like fiddlin with the reserve valve in traffic. One time I accidentally reset my trip miles....then forgot to refill. I was sitting at a light with my tunes playing. The light turned green.....and I turned red :oops: when I realized I had just run out of gas. I did switch to the reserve and rescued it. But don't need that to happen again! :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Glennrae said:
I use the trip meter. Will fill at about 130 miles. I just don't like fiddlin with the reserve valve in traffic. One time I accidentally reset my trip miles....then forgot to refill. I was sitting at a light with my tunes playing. The light turned green.....and I turned red :oops: when I realized I had just run out of gas. I did switch to the reserve and rescued it. But don't need that to happen again! :oops: :oops:
Of course the other side of that mistake is to forget to set the petcock from reserve back to main after filling up - that's really out of gas.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Cbjr said:
Of course the other side of that mistake is to forget to set the petcock from reserve back to main after filling up - that's really out of gas.
Yep, that's another bad one. That's why I've made it a serious habit to turn the petcock off every time I turn off the bike. Every time. Even if I only go inside for a minute. It's automatic now, so I'm not likely to make this mistake, if I even ever hit reserve (which is rare, in and of itself).

·
Registered
932 Posts
Of course the other side of that mistake is to forget to set the petcock from reserve back to main after filling up - that's really out of gas.[/quote]

You mean that I'm not the only one who ever did this :oops:

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey not to hijack the thread....but if my bike does turn off on the highway....what do I do to turn it back on once I set it to reserve? Do I have to just give it gas or actually try turn it "ON" on the highway?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
All you have to do is switch it to reserve as the carb fills with fuel the engine will re-light on it's own as the engine will still be turning over as the rear wheel is spinning over the engine. You will be slowing down fast just as if you cut the throttle and engine braking slows you. It's the same.

If you pull in the clutch as the bike slows then you will either need to release the clutch so the rear wheel will spin the engine or pull to the side of the road, take it out of gear and use the starter after switching it to reserve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sammy:

No, it isn't an embarrassing question at all. Fill up the fuel tank. Reset your trip meter. Drive about 75 miles and refill your fuel tank. How much fuel did it require? Now you can do some simple math and discover what kind of fuel economy you are getting. I am currently getting about 32 MPG and I have 4 gallons of fuel capacity.

Hope that helps!

regards,
Thank you, I am a proud owner of my first bike Honda 1100 saber and I dont have a fuel gauge and that information helps, I have a 4.5 gallon tank. Do you know how many miles you get on the reserve?

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
You have been caught in the old thread trap. 10 years ago and these folks are pretty much gone.

Reserve may be about 1/2 gallon so figure about 15-20 miles safely. Check your average mileage first to know what your bike can deliver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts