Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just purchased a vt750 shadow 2005 carby shaft drive. it hasn't been started for about 12months. I put fresh fuel in, cranked it over, to have fuel coming out breather on top of rear cylinder directly into air box. does any one have suggestions on why this is happening?

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,129 Posts
It sounds like it wasn't prepared for the 12 months of storage and now the carb is gummed up and the float valve is stuck open.
It will need the carb cleaned, at least you only have one to worry about.
You probably won't need a carb rebuild kit just some aerosol cleaner, suitable screwdrivers, small sockets and wrenches and some time.
Tke pictures, where all the cables, wires and hoses go, so that you can put them back where they belong.
Go find the service manual for the appropriate model number here: Manuals

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,398 Posts
Sometimes a few solid raps on the carburetor float bowl with the butt end of a screwdriver is enough to unstick the float. It's worked for me many times over the years.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
IF the "Float Sticks" it sometimes causes the gas to get into the crankcase, CHECK THE OIL for Gas present...
Does it Smell like Gas (?) it probably IS contaminated,
Dennis

·
Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
10 Posts
I agree that the float/s are stuck open. Be prepared to remove them and give them a good cleaning. My wife's 05 VT750 Spirit sat only 6 months and 1 carb needed cleaning. Now both our 05 and 06 750 Spirits have sat for nearly 2 years and I didn't prepare them, so... I'm going to buy a can carb cleaner to soak them in after disassembly of course.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Mine sat for a spell when I hit that deer last year, and it cranked right up with no issues from sitting April - what? Dec...
BUT I don`t normally let her sit that long neither...
John did crank it up and ride to see IF she still tracked straight and was worthy of buying it back from the insurance company having been classified as total loss......
Today was the first "real" long ride I`ve had with it, 186 miles through rural GA...

Carb problems Ain`t fun,
Dennis

Yeah that 186 miles took her over the 166,000 miles mark today

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like it wasn't prepared for the 12 months of storage and now the carb is gummed up and the float valve is stuck open.
It will need the carb cleaned, at least you only have one to worry about.
You probably won't need a carb rebuild kit just some aerosol cleaner, suitable screwdrivers, small sockets and wrenches and some time.
Tke pictures, where all the cables, wires and hoses go, so that you can put them back where they belong.
Go find the service manual for the appropriate model number here: Manuals
Appreciate help, i will let u know how i go, Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, I have just purchased a vt750 shadow 2005 carby shaft drive. it hasn't been started for about 12months. I put fresh fuel in, cranked it over, to have fuel coming out breather on top of rear cylinder directly into air box. does any one have suggestions on why this is happening?
I just read the 6 posts left by other riders. They are all correct. Now, why did this happen? The answer is ethanol. Ethanol absorbs water and the inside of a carb, or any other part of the fuel system, is not where you want water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found issue, fuel coming out breather on top of engine to air box. puleed carby down, all clean, cleaned internals and put back together, cranked motor, fuel still coming out. because carby may have been blocked, excess fuel went into engine. There was no water in carby either. i checked oil, only to see petrol in crankcase. i drained cranked and replaced filter. at least 8 litres of petrol came out of sump. lucky i didnt keep running engine, ticking time bomb! thanks everyone for input.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,014 Posts
Glad you got it working now enjoy the ride.

Reactions: cw750
1 - 12 of 12 Posts