Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been smelling gas since the bike was purchased, but today I found the leak.

If one were sitting on the bike, the right rear side below the air filter cover is an exposed nipple, it had just a small bubble of gas forming when I touched it...but this is where its coming from...is there a hose that is missing from this nipple? if so where does it connect to? the carbs were cleaned by the dealer and the smell started, did they forget to re connect a hose? What does that brass screw do?

here are the pics

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The brass screw is a drain screw for the float bowls. If it's loose it will leak. Try to snug it up with a screwdriver but don't force it.
It's possible that there is a piece of gunk in the drain. If that's the case you will have to drain the float bowl and try again.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
as he said if something is stuck it will keep if from snugging closed
put a cup or drain hose on the nipple open up the screw let some come out then close the drain plug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my boyfriend was away today so I tried to fix it myself, I found a screwdriver that fit and turned it counter clockwise and let the gas drip into a rag cloth that was placed to catch the gas. After it drained, I turned it back to the right and snugged it down (not to tight) after I started the bike and shut it off, the drip continued.
My question is if i remove the brass screw, is there a rubber gromit or somthing similar that is at the base that may have torn or deteriated?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Leaking drain plug may be caused by one of the following
Worn drain screw seal or damaged threads
Float bowl overfilling
Split (hairline)crack brass overfill tube (difficult to see)
Worn float bowl gasket
i would bring it back to the people that cleaned it and tell them that it is now leaking
and was not before they were cleaned maybe they goofed up

·
Registered
95 Posts
Barring that I would open it up, let the gas drain, dry and apply some Permetex RTV black liquid gasket to the threads. It will not be a permanent bond and it will stop the leak. I never found a reason to drain the fuel bowls using that screw anyway.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
my boyfriend was away today so I tried to fix it myself, I found a screwdriver that fit and turned it counter clockwise and let the gas drip into a rag cloth that was placed to catch the gas. After it drained, I turned it back to the right and snugged it down (not to tight) after I started the bike and shut it off, the drip continued.
My question is if i remove the brass screw, is there a rubber gromit or somthing similar that is at the base that may have torn or deteriated?

thanks for your help
Yes there is, number 18 in this photo
Motorcycle Tires, Discount OEM Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories, Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gloves
not sure what year yours is, so this is not necessarily your part #. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.