Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions
01 shadow spirit 1100,stock minus baffles,8000 miles
How many miles per gallon should I get driving like a grandpa?
How many gallons is the reserve?
If my bike won't start within 10 seconds of cranking twice......the battery won't start it,is this normal or is my battery weak?,starter?valve adjustment

I was riding today and the fuel was on the on setting,at 60mph she died,no sputter or signs of fuel starvation
Tried to restart,after one attempt battery wouldn't crank
Bike wasn't hot and the oil pressure light came on after the engine died.
I tried to push start but I weigh 150lbs so that was a no go,lol
I pushed for about a mile,took a break and put the fuel on reserve just to try it,no start but it cranked,pused another 1/4 mile,fuel back to on and she fired up.drove her to the gas station,refill was 3.1 gallOns,put the fuel valve back on reserve and she's running fine for the 1/2 mile home.
I just had the local Honda dealership do a full carb clean,flush and clean the tank,I performed a fresh tune up and oil change 300 miles ago

I just don't feel like pushing again....what's ur thoughts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Every 2oo miles? What the **** am I doing wrong. By myself, the best I get is 46 mpg, with my woman on, 42. Sounds possibly electrical. Usually, unless your sitting at a red light, you know when the gas runs out.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's possible you have a pet **** problem. Make sure you are not mistaking the "on" and the "reserve" position.
My particular bike has about 3.1 gal in the "on" position, and about another 1 gal in the "reserve" position.
When you run out of fuel, there will be very little warning, it just sputters out. That is why I never like to hit that point, you never know who is behind you or where you will be . So once you figger it out, you can just refuel before you get to that point.
I get about 40-42 mpg, and have to refuel every 125 miles or so.
Welcome to the forum.
Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol we'll I'm new to the shadow,my last bike was a cbr600
If say 150 miles on a tank is normal I'm cool with that I just need a starting point to know the bikes limit
So 3 gallons on reserve.....it's a 5 gallon tank

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So petrooster with the arrow pointing to on means that it runs 3 gallons till she stops
When you switch to rooster arrow to reserve it allows the remainder of the 5 gallons to be used,if so that makes sense why it ran when I put it in reserve,I thought that reserve ment on sucked the tank dry,what's up with my battery

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
OK I see a few things in the Original Post that pose questions....
If the bike died due to Fuel Starvation why not switch to reserve and restart?
when switched to reserve it is a good idea to use the choke until it smoothes out fuel needs to get back to the carbs and thats the best way to do it. Works for me every time.
If I am riding smooth and steady I get zero warning of hitting reserve level. The bike will quit in short order. If I am in the twisties I will be alerted. Switch to reserve pull the choke on for 3 or 4 seconds the turn it off and carry on.
I was leading 9 bikes on a ride last weekend and were cruising along at 90Km/h and I looked at my ODO and thought "hey not bad mileage today" I waited and it kept on going. As I went into the next turn the engine QUIT...Dead. I pulled off to side of road switched to reserve... Waited 20 or so seconds. Pulled on Choke (fuel enrichment) cranked engine and she fired up after about 4 or 5 seconds.
Off we went.
My bike has a fuel pump which can take a few seconds to prime hence the wait after hitting reserve. Gravity fills the filter and the pump does the rest. Cranking the bike fills the bowls.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
1 Tank is 4.2 gallons if a Spirit. 3 on main and 1 on Reserve. I get gas every 100-125 miles, fill are from 2 to 3 gallons.
2 If I am going above 60 when Main fuel runs out. It will usually shut off with maybe a slight cough. While still rolling, clutch in, at 60 you should be able to coast almost a mile, I switch over to res and release the clutch. Drive to the next Gas Pump. lower speed or when in twisties it will sputter and cough as warning.
3 I would have battery tested. replace with YTZ14. Should fire after 1-3 seconds of cranking. Long crank times offten caused by weak battery. If battery dieing out after only 10 seconds, its bad.
4 If you think carbs are dirty, get some fuel system cleaner Seafoam or Lucas, run that for a tank or 2. Clean and replace fuel filter. There are 3 filter used, 1 on petcock, 2 inline, 3 carb fuel inlet. Some bikes only have 1 or 2.
5 Check wiring between Stator and Rectifier for signs of overheating. Early shadow are prone to MELTING these wires and the rectifier.
6 valves are hydraulic, no adjusting

·
Registered
269 Posts
My owners manual says my 97 spirit 1100 holds 4.2, like 93gc40 said. I have run it dry several time, when gas was not available. I can only get 3.8 gallons in it when dry. When I travel in areas with few stations (much of the west) I will stand the bike up at the stations & fill it to the top instead of on the side stand. I know some will say that the extra space is needed for expansion, BUT having run out, alone in the desert near Mexican Hat & finally getting a ride after dark, I am willing to take that risk, as I will be using the fuel up within minutes of leaving the station. I now travel with a 1 ltr fuel bottle that I bought at REI. It will get me 10-12 miles, which is a long way if you are pushing. You don't have many miles for a 10 yo bike, I would try the carb cleaner & check your battery as well. I have run out of fuel on the main tank position dozens of times while riding & have never had a problem reaching down & switching to reserve & the bike is running fine within a couple seconds.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here's my mileage for the last few fillups. Usually it takes about 2.5-2.8 gallons. I usually fill up several miles after I switch to reserve.

Most of the time I get 115-120 before I have to switch to reserve. A few times I filled up early because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop for gas.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Here's my mileage for the last few fillups. Usually it takes about 2.5-2.8 gallons. I usually fill up several miles after I switch to reserve.

Most of the time I get 115-120 before I have to switch to reserve. A few times I filled up early because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop for gas.
What app is that? i use Gasbuddy..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Moto Minder
Kinda cool. When I bought the bike I entered in all sorts of repairs that I did and at what mileage I did it at. By recording it every fill-up, it documents my mileage and shows how many miles left for service on stuff like my fuel filter, air filter, oil change, grease points, fluids change all from when I replaced them. I'm a document wh0re, so it's cool that I can email whoever buys the bike with every piece of info of what I did and when, and what my gas mileage is.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Filling the bike ABOVE the filler neck is absolutely fine if you are riding. If you fill it and park it in the sun you will spill fuel for sure. I always fill mine until I can't get any more in. It takes some burping. I always use it faster than it expands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would kill to get 187 on one tank!!!

I have 2006 Spirit 1100 with less than 10K and my mileage sucks... I run 50 miles r/t to work on the freeway and get about 32-36 mpg. IMHO I should be getting 40+. I do get 45 when riding slower mountain twisties, but I only get to do that once or twice a year.

I've had the carbs cleaned by the dealer twice, but it doesn't seem to get better. In fact it started backfiring after the last time. I'm going to run some cleaner through my next two tanks to see if that works, and I'm looking into someone else to do my carb work.

Any feedback for my similar problem is welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought an 01 spirit 1100 about a month ago, the guy i got it from said he fills it after 150 miles. i ran out at 132 a few weeks ago so now i fill it when i hit 115 or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a '98 Spirit 1100, Cobra Slip-On's, jetted properly.
Lately, I've been shifting at 20-25, 35-40, 45-50, 50-55 (cruise in 5th at 45+) and over the last 11 tank's of "normal riding" (not jumping on it hard) I'm averaging 49.88 mpg (75% of miles on open roads @ 45-60 MPH).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me clarify
I ride 32 miles to work and back traveling at no higher than 55 mph on flat highway,that's why I'm getting 60mpg
So don't think something is wrong with your bikes cause your getting 40 something

1 - 20 of 26 Posts