Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2007 aero 750 should the petcock only let fuel out if there is a vacuum to it? with the tank off the bike i can turn the fuel on main or reserve and fuel will come out strong and fast. it was to my understanding this should only happen if there is a vacuum to it from the motor. if im wrong about this please inform me. if im right then that means mine is bad correct?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes there was a recall however when i got my bike back in april and spent a month trying to learn as much as i could about them i called the local honda dealer gave them my VIN and asked about it they said my vin didnt pull up any recalls. no i belive that was a load of BS but for the $80 for a new one my bike non-ridable due to my carb leaking the headace i save by spending $80 for a new one is WORTH it IMO also im so anal i get sick when someone works on my stuff instead of me drives me insane. lol but yes you are correct "Captain D"

now can someone explain what going on in there that makes it do what mine is doing? is it just a diaphragm or something that goes bad?

·
Registered
16,783 Posts
There was someone who ordered the internal parts to fix his back a month or so, he too got the runaround from his local dealer I think???

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I wouldn't go with an auto petcock again.

My KLR has the same vacuum setup. Basically all it is, is a diaphragm/spring/plunger. When there is no vacuum the spring seats the plunger and stops the fuel flow. Pull a vacuum and the diaphragm pulls the plunger off its seat and viola...gas flows. Get a hole in the diaphragm and no fuel flows, and the petcock leaks. Get a bad seat/plunger and fuel flows all the time. Break a spring and fuel flows all the time.

I gutted the petcock and used a custom made aluminum block off plate, made specifically for the KLR by a member of a KLR forum. I'll never have to worry about a petcock failure again. My petcock looked fine...but it wouldn't flow fuel 'till I gutted it.

It should be possible to do the same to the Honda petcock.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
yes there was a recall however when i got my bike back in april and spent a month trying to learn as much as i could about them i called the local honda dealer gave them my VIN and asked about it they said my vin didnt pull up any recalls. no i belive that was a load of BS but for the $80 for a new one my bike non-ridable due to my carb leaking the headace i save by spending $80 for a new one is WORTH it IMO also im so anal i get sick when someone works on my stuff instead of me drives me insane. lol but yes you are correct "Captain D"

now can someone explain what going on in there that makes it do what mine is doing? is it just a diaphragm or something that goes bad?
You are better off calling Honda america. My shop told me my bike was good, no recalls. I heard of a recall for one of the sensors and called honda america, they passed me to honda canada who confirmed a recall and then I had work done (by a different shop).

Dingo.

2010 Honda Shadow
Phantom Custom

This posted from my 'droid device.

·
Registered
16,783 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn`t take my bike into a shop that had done give me the "runaround" for them to get paid from Honda for warranty work neither!

Once Bit ~ Twice Shy
Screw me once shame on you Screw me twice shame on ME

·
Registered
100 Posts
There was someone who ordered the internal parts to fix his back a month or so, he too got the runaround from his local dealer I think???
Not sure if you're referring to me. I did this. I have a 2005 Aero 750. It's the same as the 2007. My local dealer and Honda both said no recall. I got new seals, diaphragm, screws, cover, and spring from partzilla in a kit. Total was about $25. The petcock valve is riveted and can't be dismantled, but the vacuum seal can be rebuilt. I boiled mine and used a liberal amount of carb cleaner. A small paintbrush, some pipe cleaners, and compressed air, the another good rinse. A good bit of work, but it's as close to new as possible now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts