Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend just bought '06 Shadow Aero 750. Should he switch lever to "off" position each time he overnight parks bike?

Also, does anyone turn kill switch off when overnight parking?

Maybe dumb questions, but we need to know. Thanks guys.

Jerry
'84 Honda Elite 125

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I've never turned my petcock off. But I do kill the engine that way, immediately returning the kill switch back to run. I park on hills, thus I park the bike in gear too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I do indeed use my engine cutoff to shut off the engine, and leave it in the off position. I never turn off my fuel. I have gotten used to using the FINE-C method of starting, or at least checking each item using that method. As a Virgo, I like having a routine I guess. At least with that method, I touch everything. I never shut off my fuel, and I don't think it matters at all. Same for the kill switch. It's mainly there just so you can turn off your bike in case you dump it. Probably better to get used to just using the key. For the longest time I just left them both on, but trying to teach the misses how to ride, I want her to learn a routine of some sort because that is what they will teach her. FINE-C.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've never messed around with the kill switch when parking or otherwise. On the other hand, I've always turned my petcock off when parking the bike. I recently modded my OEM petcock to completely remove the vacuum function and converted it to a manual one. I also have an AFC-111 electric fuel shutoff valve on my fuel line that is activated by a hidden switch. When I cut power to the bike, fuel valve shuts down and no gas flow!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've never messed around with the kill switch when parking or otherwise. On the other hand, I've always turned my petcock off when parking the bike. I recently modded my OEM petcock to completely remove the vacuum function and converted it to a manual one. I also have an AFC-111 electric fuel shutoff valve on my fuel line that is activated by a hidden switch. When I cut power to the bike, fuel valve shuts down and no gas flow!!!
Crap Big Poppa... Every time I see that Valk... Every time man! I'm thinking the next time I am in SA you can let me ride it!! :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No and no

Furball, thanks man. I respect your answers. Personally, I've never used kill switch when parking/storing a bike. And, I would think, if no bad could typically happen (flooding carb), that my friend could just leave fuel petcock in the run position. Has anyone had a problem by doing this?

Any other opinions guys?

Sure do appreciate ya. Thanks.

Jerry

·
Registered
323 Posts
Furball, thanks man. I respect your answers. Personally, I've never used kill switch when parking/storing a bike. And, I would think, if no bad could typically happen (flooding carb), that my friend could just leave fuel petcock in the run position. Has anyone had a problem by doing this?

Any other opinions guys?

Sure do appreciate ya. Thanks.

Jerry
I think I tried to answer my friend. No, I have never had an issue, and no I have never turned the fuel off. In fact, LOL, I have never even had to put it into reserve. I have an 06 Shadow Aero 750. I never turn my fuel valve from the run position, and I start freaking out at about 80 miles looking for a gas station.

Yea Captain D! FINE-C! That stuff is made for Virgos. I fold my dirty cloths also.

·
Premium Member
4,593 Posts
well Id have to say Yes & Yes as I do shut the fuel off parking overnight and I do use the kill switch a lot to shut down the bike. " I feel its a Personal Preference type thing" :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct way?

Bd, you're right man. It's a personal preference (habit). Whatever works for ya. Thanks man.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I turn the engine off with the key in the ignition switch and remove the keys and put them in my pocket. It's a habit of mine to help prevent from leaving the keys in the ignition. Shutting off the fuel petcock is a personal preference with the new bikes. I grew up riding bikes with gravity feed so I always turned the petcock to the off position. With my Shadow I leave it to the "on" position unless it's going to sit for a long time or in winter storage. I'd recommend to at least work the fuel petcock from stop to stop once in a while to keep them from getting stiff and gummed up.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I use the side stand to kill the bike. Only time I use the actual kill switch is if I have a need to kill the bike while I'm on it, like to talk to someone or something. Doesn't happen often.

I never touch the petcock except when I have to go to reserve.

I think the answer is ... you don't have to, you can kind of develope your own thing that works for you.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
Typically I turn the petcock to "OFF" whenever the bike will be parked for more than 2-3 of hours. Sometimes even when it will only be 5 minutes. ALWAYS check it before starting because it's kind of embarrassing to find it in "OFF" a couple of seconds after rolling away.

The only valid ("Just in case" doesn't count.) reason for switching it to off is to be sure the thing is functioning. That's also why I try to ride "into" RES about half the time. Don't need to be one of the folks who finds out the circuit doesn't work when I need it.

As for the kill switch, I've turned it off accidentally more times than on purpose. Still check it before starting EVERY time. I use the key to turn off the engine as per the MOM. If I'm parking the bike in gear I'll use the sidestand. Border crossings, too.

Can`t come up with E & C though :D
E = engine. That's for what we call the kill switch.
C = choke. Sometimes there's an extra "C" put on the end for clutch or sometimes people say the "C" is for both. Or just clutch. Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Typically I turn the petcock to "OFF" whenever the bike will be parked for more than 2-3 of hours. Sometimes even when it will only be 5 minutes. ALWAYS check it before starting because it's kind of embarrassing to find it in "OFF" a couple of seconds after rolling away.

The only valid ("Just in case" doesn't count.) reason for switching it to off is to be sure the thing is functioning. That's also why I try to ride "into" RES about half the time. Don;t need to be one of the folks who finds out the circuit doesn't work when I need it.

As for the kill switch, I've turned it off accidentally more times than on purpose. Still check it before starting EVERY time. I use the key to turn off the engine as per the MOM. If I'm parking the bike in gear I'll use the sidestand. Border crossings, too.

E = engine. That's for what we call the kill switch.
C = choke. Sometimes there's an extra "C" put on the end for clutch or sometimes people say the "C" is for both. Or just clutch. Whatever works for you.
Shutting the petcock off doesn't prove anything other then it can be turned unless you start and try to drive a way with it off.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
FINE-C or FINEC and SFINEC are checklists for engine starting on a motorcycle

(S) - Side Stand Up
F - Fuel on
I - Ignition on
N - Neutral and checked
E - Engine Cut-Off ON
C - Choke as needed and Crank

·
Registered
152 Posts
I turn my petcock and kill switch off whenever I park it for more than a day. I kill it with the switch too. Yeah they taught my class FINE-C when I took msf course a few years back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts