Honda Shadow Forums banner

Fuel System-Fuel pump

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Eddie Davis 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone I am new on here & Have a problem, Thank You for Letting me Join, I have a 2000 Honda 1100 Shadow/Spirit, The Bike runs great in town, Get on the Hiway Can't get it over 70 Mph. Thers plenty of throttle gets to about 1/2 thats where it wont go any faster It dont spit sputter runs fine, just wont go faster, I was told it was the Fire box, Thats not it, I was told the Fuel Pump, Does anybody on Here Know what the volume per Min or Pressure is supposed to be, Thanks to Anyone that can answer

#2 ·
These are only 2-4 pound pumps. If you take off the output hose and run the pump it should have a solid stream and pump about 1 pint in 20-30 seconds.
Do a plug shop test to see what the plugs look like at the failure speed. That tells if too rich or lean.
Did you alter the air intake system?

#5 ·
These are only 2-4 pound pumps. If you take off the output hose and run the pump it should have a solid stream and pump about 1 pint in 20-30 seconds.
Do a plug shop test to see what the plugs look like at the failure speed. That tells if too rich or lean.
Did you alter the air intake system?
I did a pump test for 5 seconds and got 5 oz,. The plugs were white little brown tips like they should be. Have done with the intake.

#4 ·
Diaphram would be one of the things to check,.

A bad fuel pump cutoff relay could be suspect and easy to test.. It's purpose is to stop the pump if the motor dies in a crash, so OK to bypass for testing. Not 100% sure on Spirits, usually a 3 wire plug with a black, a black/blue and yellow/blue wire.Could be under a side cover or under the seat. Just jumper the black (12v) to black/blue (power to pump) in the harness plug with half a paperclip and tape it up.

3rd thing and seems to be somewhat common could be plugged tank and/or carb vent hoses. If the tank vent is plugged, the pump may be able to pull enough or gravity feed to run at lower speeds until it can no longer override the vacuum in the tank. On a warmer day, the fuel vapor pressure build-up in the tank can counter-act the vacuum to an extent. (The plugged carb vent hose usually causes a fuel vapor pressure build-up in the float chamber and forcing fuel out, causing flooding as can the plugged tank vent just sitting in the sun in hot weather..). .

Reactions: Eddie Davis
#7 ·
Diaphram would be one of the things to check,.

A bad fuel pump cutoff relay could be suspect and easy to test.. It's purpose is to stop the pump if the motor dies in a crash, so OK to bypass for testing. Not 100% sure on Spirits, usually a 3 wire plug with a black, a black/blue and yellow/blue wire.Could be under a side cover or under the seat. Just jumper the black (12v) to black/blue (power to pump) in the harness plug with half a paperclip and tape it up.

3rd thing and seems to be somewhat common could be plugged tank and/or carb vent hoses. If the tank vent is plugged, the pump may be able to pull enough or gravity feed to run at lower speeds until it can no longer override the vacuum in the tank. On a warmer day, the fuel vapor pressure build-up in the tank can counter-act the vacuum to an extent. (The plugged carb vent hose usually causes a fuel vapor pressure build-up in the float chamber and forcing fuel out, causing flooding as can the plugged tank vent just sitting in the sun in hot weather..). .
Thank you, I have had the carbs. off the Diphaghram is good, I will look at the Vent Fuel lines A make sure there not Pluged up, That could be, So far nothing has worked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.