Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have alittle problem, I have been getting about 160 miles per tanks riding which is about 56 mpg filling up with about 3 gallons of fuel. I've noticed the past 2 times I've filled up I'm running into reserve now at 130 miles, still getting my 56 mpg but only topping off with 2.2 gallons, why I'm I hitting my reserve at 130 now????? whats in the tank is it a hose? 750 Spirit

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Numerous factors affect fuel economy. Before you refuel, make sure that you switch your fuel valve to "ON" from "RESERVE."
Also, fuel containing ethanol is poison for your bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since you're getting the same mileage, just having to switch to reserve sooner, you may have a clogged petcock screen. Not sure exactly how it's set up on your bike, but most petcocks have two tubes going up into the tank, one higher than the other. When the fuel level drops past the taller tube, that's when you switch to reserve. Over both of these tubes is a plastic frame with a mesh screen. If it gets gummed up, it could cause this problem. It's easy to clean, just drain the gas and remove the petcock. Don't use any carb cleaner or harsh chemicals, just a good stiff toothbrush and clean gas should work. If it's clogged up with rust, you need to take care of that by cleaning out the tank. There are some methods that won't harm your paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts