Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I got up before dawn and rode for a few hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was nice and chilly up there. Stopped for gas afterwards, filled up the tank and then ran to the store which was 2 minutes away. When I came out of the store, I noticed a puddle under my bike, sniffed it and was dismayed to discover it was gas.

After thoroughly checking it over I figured out the leak is coming from under the tank from a teeny tiny little metal tube (I don't know what else to call it) at the very, very back of the tank closest to the seat (right side of the bike if you're on it). Sorry, no pic, because I had my bike transported to the local shop.

I've been looking over the MOM (2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750DC) and all I can find is that it *might* be missing a fuel breather tube?

Can someone with the same model look under their tank and see if there is a tube or just the little hollow metal post, please?

If I took the gas cap off the intermittent stream of gas slowed down. And it slowed down to a steady drip with the cap on.

If there isn't a tube missing, is that little hollow post a vent? On the BRP I was up at higher elevations (6000'), plus the temps were in the 50's, then I came down to about 2500 feet with temps in the 70's to low 80's when I got gas. Then the bike sat in the hot sun for about 30 minutes.

Any connection between all of that, ya think?

Thanks for any insights.

...Barb

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you certain is was coming from the gas tank vent tube? I just recently had the puddle-of-gas syndrome and it was caused by a worn out fuel pump. The pump has a
drain pipe coming out of the end, when the pump diaphragm gives out gas will drip out of the drain pipe and leave a puddle.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Well, if it's anything like the '03 Shadow ACE, yes it's a breather tube (pic 1). Should not have been leaking gas though. Did you check the tubes coming from the petcock on the left side of the bike (tank removed; hoses disconnected in pic 2)? Also down by the fuel filter?? Pretty simple fixes to do yourself. However if your "tank" is leaking ... yeah, better leave that to the pros. ;) Oh, and +1 on the fuel pump.

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I put my finger on the tiny metal post located underneath the back corner of the tank (which is where I believe a tube *should* be connected), gas comes out onto my finger. Can't find a leak anywhere else though.

But leaking gas is just too serious to mess around with. You're right, I'll let the pros look at it tomorrow. I just didn't want it to be something simple and overlooked it.

Thanks for the precision pics, Aced It! I appreciate the details.

Well, if it's anything like the '03 Shadow ACE, yes it's a breather tube (pic 1). Should not have been leaking gas though. Did you check the tubes coming from the petcock on the left side of the bike (tank removed; hoses disconnected in pic 2)? Also down by the fuel filter?? Pretty simple fixes to do yourself. However if your "tank" is leaking ... yeah, better leave that to the pros. ;)

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you certain is was coming from the gas tank vent tube? I just recently had the puddle-of-gas syndrome and it was caused by a worn out fuel pump. The pump has a
drain pipe coming out of the end, when the pump diaphragm gives out gas will drip out of the drain pipe and leave a puddle.
I'll make sure they check for that possibility tomorrow. Thanks, number13! I'm learning a lot.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a pic of what I mean. Not of my tank, but of the underside of the tank from another bike (gotta love ebay) like mine and I've pinpointed the metal post/tube where the leak came from. I am so OCD, it was driving me crazy not to be precise. :roll:

031.jpg

Still going to have it looked at, to be safe, but at least now I can sound more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Found a pic of what I mean. Not of my tank, but of the underside of the tank from another bike (gotta love ebay) like mine and I've pinpointed the metal post/tube where the leak came from. I am so OCD, it was driving me crazy not to be precise. :roll:

View attachment 2320

Still going to have it looked at, to be safe, but at least now I can sound more knowledgeable.
Well, that is the breather tube area, which should not be leaking fuel. Maybe something somehow splashed up into there; maybe overfilling the tank or some sort of vacuum/pressure issue? I just don't know; I've never had that happen on any of my bikes. The other side where the bigger opening is, is the petcock connection.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
That is the gas tank vent and as stated there should be a tube attached to it. It sounds like you may have just over filled the tank.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Barb, you should have a hose connected to that part and it should run down to the bottom of the bike. Make sure there isn't a hose in the area that came off and might be tucked under something out of site.

With you just filling the tank full of gas with a hot engine and letting it sit in the sun for a while you probably just had the gas expanding.

Heres a parts picture for your bike from Bike Bandit. The site shows you what hoses (red arrow) you should have and how much they cost.

2001 Honda VT750CD Parts, 2001 Honda VT750CD OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Good luck

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
with temps in the 70's to low 80's when I got gas. Then the bike sat in the hot sun for about 30 minutes.
With you just filling the tank full of gas with a hot engine and letting it sit in the sun for a while you probably just had the gas expanding.
This would be my first guess. If your bike is going to be out in the sun for any length of time right after filling the tank, you may not want to fill the tank completely full. Or better yet, just make sure after filling the tank to go for a ride. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
301 Posts
This would be my first guess. If your bike is going to be out in the sun for any length of time right after filling the tank, you may not want to fill the tank completely full. Or better yet, just make sure after filling the tank to go for a ride. :mrgreen:
+1 ! There's really nothing the dealer can do for you, just make sure you don't overfill and gas just before you go if you need to park in the hot sun. Just confirm that the hose is connected to the bib that comes out of the tank.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Yep! I have a tendency to FILL my tank. Anytime I get carried away, ride a bit, park...I will come out and there is always a small puddle under it from the breather tube. Then there is always some "dick" that says, "Oh...it's gas. Figured it'd be rice." :lol::lol::shock:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
:shock: Yep! I have a tendency to FILL my tank. Anytime I get carried away, ride a bit, park...I will come out and there is always a small puddle under it from the breather tube. Then there is always some "dick" that says, "Oh...it's gas. Figured it'd be rice." :lol::lol::shock:
if the said dick is on a Harley, I would want to reply "I'd rather it be gas then oil". :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the helpful and detailed info, AZ. That's what I like, so I can figure stuff like this out more easily.

I went by the shop after work and one of the mechanics and I looked at my bike and he confirmed that there should be a breather tube there. I couldn't see yesterday, and he couldn't see today, whether or not it's tucked down out of sight or just totally gone. He and the other mechanic are going to look at it more closely tomorrow and let me know.

I was looking at my friend's Aero this afternoon and his breather tube from the fuel tank leads to a Y connector. It might be a diff in the models but it's something else for me to ask about. The guys at the shop are super nice and are willing to share knowledge without treating me like I'm clueless. I always appreciate that since I think how my bike works is fascinating and do all the maintenance myself.

We ran it at the shop for a bit, and it was sitting out in the sun (today was 86 - ugh) and it did start to leak a tiny bit from the tank tube connector. It's always nice when you tell a mechanic what you think is wrong and the faulty part actually cooperates. :-D

It'll be good to have peace of mind once it's officially checked out and repaired. I'll let cha all know what they say tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Barb

Barb, you should have a hose connected to that part and it should run down to the bottom of the bike. Make sure there isn't a hose in the area that came off and might be tucked under something out of site.

Heres a parts picture for your bike from Bike Bandit. The site shows you what hoses (red arrow) you should have and how much they cost.

2001 Honda VT750CD Parts, 2001 Honda VT750CD OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Good luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Endy, isn't that just the best answer to everything? :D I use that one a lot with my husband. Ummm....I need to go for a ride because [insert excuse].

I'll just add yours to my repertoire. :wink:

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
Yup, it's a good excuse... until you end up taking a long enough ride that you need to stop and fill up the tank again. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All fixed. Yay!

It was the missing breather tube. They checked it out, replaced the tube and only charged me $19.50. Their posted labor fee per hour is $65 so I figured it would be at least that much. Super nice guys at the Waynesville Cycle Center.

The mechanic figures it leaked so much because of the combination of the temp changes, sitting out in the sun and having just filled up. [The closest gas station to my house is 10 miles away, so I never fill up and then let it sit in the sun, as I did on Sunday.]

I'll all set! It felt soooooooo good to ride my bike home.

Thanks again for helping me pinpoint the problem! :D

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Awesome! Great price for peace of mind, as well!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thats good news for sure. Looks like you found a good honest mechanic too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts