Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a curiosity question: it seems like, in order to get proper access to the carbs and other wires\hoses, the fuel tank needs to be removed. but in order to remove it, one must drain it, which seems like a hassle (just me?). has anyone ever tried to mod, or successfully done a mode, where they ran some soft of cutoff valve from one tank to another, on each of the hoses? where all you would have to do is turn to cutoff valve off, then remove the tanks (with the cutoff valve attached), leaving a portion of each hose attached to the reserve?

just curious.

john

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
When i jetted the carbs on my Spirit i just flipped the petcock to OFF and removed the tank. On my Fury, i just flipped the tank over and let it rest on a stool. Not sure why youre over thinking it :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Gonna go out on limb here here but a bike that old likely has a pet **** to turn off the fuel under the tank. Turn it to the off position, disconnect the file line and take it. Most bikes with carbs come this way with only of lat the FI bikes do not have one. I didn't bother to try and fins what your bike has or came with as stock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gonna go out on limb here here but a bike that old likely has a pet **** to turn off the fuel under the tank. Turn it to the off position, disconnect the file line and take it. Most bikes with carbs come this way with only of lat the FI bikes do not have one. I didn't bother to try and fins what your bike has or came with as stock.
In my case, the petcock is between the aux fuel tank and the fuel filter, on the bottom of the bike. between the main tank is simply two lines, one main fuel line and the vent line. that is it. I'd love to find an easy way to remove the tank without having to disconnect the hoses every time..putting it back on is a pain in the posterior. the main line doesn't like t o slide over the "rib" easily. Some time of a quick connect that would seal would be awesome...

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
I don't think there's enough room on either line it's like the old magna. Too much going on in too little space. The trick is to not refill the main tank until you have your bugs figured out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I read this three times to make sure I understand. If it's got carbs, it's not fuel injected. If it's not, it will have a petclock.* I have a VTX which is fuel injected and there is no valve of any kind. The fuel doesn't drain outright when you disconnect the B-nut from the fuel rail. It just dribbles through the fuel pump and out the connector making a dangerous mess. I'm no stranger to gasoline. Been working on cars and bikes all my life. Washing parts with it, etc. But hell, a big puddle under the bike. One spark..... I've been pondering something as simple as a 3/8" automotive vacuum hose to siphon it at least.

* I didn't really mean "clock" but the forum's filter and all...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've been pondering something as simple as a 3/8" automotive vacuum hose to siphon it at least.
That's what I use to drain my VTX1800 tank, got a cheap siphon from Harbor Freight. Only takes a couple minutes to drain the vast majority of the tank.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
so what do I do? a funnel and fuel into the secondary tank?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That's about the only way. The fuel line between the main tank and aux tank is too large diameter for any petcock I've seen and it's in a bad place to even try rig a petcock. Probably one the reason's why Honda did a way with the aux. tanks. I still don't see why Honda decided to do a way with petcocks on the new fuel injected bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts