Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - New Member - New Rider - Be Gentle.

I have a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero VT750 - 2300 miles. The petcock valve (fuel shutoff valve) is leaking badly when its running. I want to replace the entire thing, but I've heard the Honda OEM valves are junk and I should use a third party shut off valve. Can anyone recommend one? I just want it to work (and last) ... looks is important but secondary to being functional! I can handle draining and removing the tank, etc. I've been on eBay looking for valves but just haven't make the jump yet. I'm driving my son's Ninja in the meantime so yeah ... please help quick!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I looked at the Pingle site and thought to myself how pricey those things are. Then I went to an OEM site and see why. I guess petcocks have gotten very expensive since I've purchased one. I looked on Ebay and there are quite a few to choose from. Have you got the tools and ability to disassemble and rebuild your old one? It's gotta be worth a try considering the difference of the cost of a couple of O-rings compared to an assembly.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If it wasn't for the aesthetics of the OEM petcock with my chrome engine hangers, I would have switched out to a power-flo Pingel a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Hello - New Member - New Rider - Be Gentle.

I have a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero VT750 - 2300 miles. The petcock valve (fuel shutoff valve) is leaking badly when its running. I want to replace the entire thing, but I've heard the Honda OEM valves are junk and I should use a third party shut off valve. Can anyone recommend one? I just want it to work (and last) ... looks is important but secondary to being functional! I can handle draining and removing the tank, etc. I've been on eBay looking for valves but just haven't make the jump yet. I'm driving my son's Ninja in the meantime so yeah ... please help quick!
Check out this site for OEM parts. Metric Parts Outlet | Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Arctic Cat USA, AR Contact Via Email Just plug in your bike's info, etc.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You can usually take them apart and fix them yourself, not like you're going to f it up more than it is now. If my bike is down I always try to fix it myself before giving someone else money. That being said, if you are just worried about getting back on the road you can do this.

If you can remember to keep an eye on your mileage per tank then just buy a cheapo shutoff valve to supply the main and cap off the reserve. If you do run out of gas, just switch the line from main to reserve and switch the cap to your main.

OR

First, buy 2 cheapo fuel shutoff valves from somewhere like your local parts store or ebay - Maxpower 339134 Fuel Line Shut Off Valve 1 4" | eBay

Second, run your reserve to one and your main to the other, then Y them together after the valves in to your main line again.

May look crappy, and you'll have to remember to shut one and open the other when you run out of gas.

BOTH OF THESE ARE JUST SUGGESTIONS FOR A SHORT TERM FIX UNTIL YOU EITHER FIX THE ORIGINAL PETCOCK, FIND A BETTER PRICED REPLACEMENT, OR BITE THE BULLET AND BUY THE HIGHER PRICED ONE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.