Honda Shadow Forums banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
spiritoftheshadow, Interesting info, but do you mean -45 degrees F ? = 45 degrees below zero? That's cold stuff and it seems it would not vaporize that cold. Is that correct? Or maybe just a typo.

·
Registered
127 Posts
spiritoftheshadow, Interesting info, but do you mean -45 degrees F ? = 45 degrees below zero? That's cold stuff and it seems it would not vaporize that cold. Is that correct? Or maybe just a typo.
thats right below -43 degrees Celsius and -45 degrees f it will not vaporize or 43 degrees below zero C and 45 degrees below zero F this is why gasoline is the fuel of choice especially in colder climates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a 2004 Shadow Spirit 1100 that I just bought... It did not come with an Owner's Manual, so I downloaded one off the 'Net.
I can't swear if it's for the US version or not, but this OM recommends Premium fuel for the 1100.
Most of the posts I've found here say use 87... Can I get a clarification?

Tanks! ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will throw in a bit of history about gasoline; in days of old when knights were bold and the world was ruled by engines with carburetors and fuel injection was VERY rare, gas was a bit different than today.
Compression was being increased in engines giving more power (perhaps you have read about the horsepower wars of the 1960's) oil companies had an easier time of it. If you needed to fuel a higher compression engine all you had to do was throw in some more tetraethyl lead and load up your tanker truck because everyones engines would work just fine with it. As you might imagine, no one wanted to sell "high test" fuel that would allow an engine to knock so more detergents were added to correct or prevent carbon deposits.
Then came along fuel injection in the mid '70's (I know VW had EFI in the '60s but it would play well with the same fuel that carburetors used) that could get gummed up and good lord no more lead in the gas? Now it was a brand new ball game and ever since refineries have been chasing after a fuel/additive package that would be appropriate for the engine's compression needs, keep the deposits off of the back of intake valves and the combustion chamber and not gum up the works inside the smaller and smaller passages in your fuel injection system.
Now days, compression requirements and regional needs are what define fuel. Gone are the days when high compression engines are the only ones that need a ton of detergents, all engines need them. And yes, some of their changes mean that fuel "goes bad" faster than ever.
Bottom line is only use a higher grade of fuel if you can detect a real benefit not just "because".

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 HONDA SHADOW 750 SPIRIT and I've been fueling up at Costco and noticed that it says 10% ethanol. Is that safe for my bike? Is ethanol bad for our bikes and if it is should 10% be okay? Or is that too high of a threshold for ny bike. I've been using 87 with 10 ethanol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 2003 HONDA SHADOW 750 SPIRIT and I've been fueling up at Costco and noticed that it says 10% ethanol. Is that safe for my bike? Is ethanol bad for our bikes and if it is should 10% be okay? Or is that too high of a threshold for ny bike. I've been using 87 with 10 ethanol.
Your in sunny CA so probably not an issue for you. As long as you ride often. It's more of an issue for us that may not be riding for a month or two because of weather. From what I understand is Ethanol will separate from gas over time and ethanol will attract water.
I've ran 10%ethanol most of the time I've had my bike and haven't had any issues. I only try and get non ethanol when I may not be riding for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
785 Posts
.......It's more of an issue for us that may not be riding for a month or two because of weather. From what I understand is Ethanol will separate from gas over time and ethanol will attract water. .....
I forgot which ones they are but there are additives that will reblend the ethanol or ethanol + moisture back into the gasoline and allow it to combust better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had to add my 2 cents..I ran standard gas through my 1985 VT110C since I got it. Backfired occasionally, got OK performance. I had one instance of gummed up carbs, and after draining the nasty yellow sh!t out the bike was fine again. Then recently I saw where a local gas station offered the ethanol free gas, and I figured why not? What a difference! NO backfiring, better gas mileage, started quicker and better. For me, this was a no brainer. They weren't exactly putting a lot of ethanol in gas in 1985 and it showed in the performance and in every aspect of my bike. That's what I'm going to run.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had to add my 2 cents..I ran standard gas through my 1985 VT110C since I got it. Backfired occasionally, got OK performance. I had one instance of gummed up carbs, and after draining the nasty yellow sh!t out the bike was fine again. Then recently I saw where a local gas station offered the ethanol free gas, and I figured why not? What a difference! NO backfiring, better gas mileage, started quicker and better. For me, this was a no brainer. They weren't exactly putting a lot of ethanol in gas in 1985 and it showed in the performance and in every aspect of my bike. That's what I'm going to run.
I blend gasoline for a major oil company & I can tell you ethanol is crap, it has way less BTUs than gasoline itself so that means less efficiency, like you I notice a power & fuel mileage increase on my bike

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried reading through as much as I could, but I'm not understanding how to know the proper grade to use. I just filled up for the first time and put 87 in by habit. I could figure out a way to drain it if necessary.

What are the basics? Go by manufacturers recommendation for grade and avoid additives/ethanol?

I talked to my uncle today who told me ethanol will prevent rust in the tank... not sure what to make of that.
Ethanol will make rust. Has more water vapor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your owners manual will tell you what minimum octane to use.
As long as the octane of the fuel you use is equal to or above, you're fine.
Yes, you can use premium if you want, but unless you're running one
of the older Shadow's, it's not doing anything except emptying your wallet faster.

Yes, unless you have your bike sitting for long periods of time or have
fuel system clogs, there is no reason to run fuel additives.
Most of the fuel additives are nothing more than a detergent with
an octane booster (which does nothing for you if your engine isn't pinging).
Avoiding ethanol is a personal choice.
Running ethanol is fine, it won't hurt a thing.
You will notice a drop in MPG and a little power loss simply because
ethanol doesn't contain the same amount of energy potential as gasoline.
It's not a super power loss, but in many cases it is noticeable.
In older vehicles, it can cause problems.
Older vehicles actually have "rubber" seals which the alcohol affects.
Vehicles made within the last 20 years have seals made from Nitrile,
which is resistant to harsh chemicals and isn't bother by them.

No offense, but what your uncle told you about premium being best for "motorcycles" in general is bologna.
In some motorcycles, premium is needed because they run high advance ignition or run high compression.
The older Shadows (80's) use premium.
Modern Shadows (early 90's and up), premium is a waste of money.
The early 90's and up Shadows are low compression engines
and are generally not prone to pinging.
If you want to run premium, it won't hurt anything.
People will tell you that it burns slower and burns dirtier in engines
that aren't built for it... but they are wrong. It doesn't.
Octane has nothing to do with the burn speed or cleanliness of the gasoline.
Octane is nothing more than a resistance to detonation by heat.
From my 2002 VT600CD VLX
20191118_110916.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Octane 87 in Colorado for Shadow Spirit Vt1100C

I have 35700+ miles on my Shadow Vt100C and I tried 85, 87 and 91 (the only choices in Colorado All with 10% Ethanol(Mandated). I consistently run with 87 now. I usually try to stay with a local King Soopers for convenience and discount but have always found Shell and BP( got out of the state about 5 yrts ago) 87 be really great for mieage, smothness + power. I have Drilled + punctured stock exhaust. Stock jets. I usually try to add chevron Progard Fuel Injector Cleaner, I get Cheap from CostCo. I don't bother to calculate fuel mileage. I just zero out my Mileage and I fillup near 140 mi. Most of the time I can make it to 150 Mi before I hit reserve with 87 and additives. 145 on average without additives. I can tell when a Gas station is cheating on the octane 87. I also notice on hot days It runs as if I had 85 in it. So the previous discussion has told me to add some 91 or an octane booster when above 90 degrees. (1 makes the bike engine vibrate. Maybe I need to check my Carb sync? Anybody in CO got a setup I can rent/donate or borrow?
I hope this helps someone in Colorado or the high country cope one of MC Shadows biggest questions.
We only found 85 and 87. No 91. My Lincoln Navigator requires high octane. I know there is less o2 but I could really tell a difference in my car. I know, wrong thread. We were just talking about fuels..

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,541 Posts
We only found 85 and 87. No 91. My Lincoln Navigator requires high octane. I know there is less o2 but I could really tell a difference in my car. I know, wrong thread. We were just talking about fuels..
The recommendation listed on your Honda states "91 RON". Not sure why unless your bike is originally from Europe or Japan. In the US the Pump Octane Number is the number posted on the pump and is RON + MON / 2 . MON is a much lower octane than RON and typically a RON of 91 would equate to a Pump Octane Number of 87.

G.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The recommendation listed on your Honda states "91 RON". Not sure why unless your bike is originally from Europe or Japan. In the US the Pump Octane Number is the number posted on the pump and is RON + MON / 2 . MON is a much lower octane than RON and typically a RON of 91 would equate to a Pump Octane Number of 87.

G.
Thanks for the reply G! interesting. I don't know much about the bike but I wouldn't think it was a Japanese model because everything is in English unless it came from Europe which I also doubt but you've got me wondering now. Gonna find that hole and dive in headfirst ;). By no means am I disputing what you are saying or what honda recommends but everyone I know with a bike runs 91+. Like I said this is my first bike so I am new to motorcycles but I've been a mechanic darn near my whole working career. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '03 Spirit started running poorly, I determined the fuel system needed cleaning, so I tried some fuel system cleaner. No luck. I take it to the local Honda dealer for a fuel system clean out and they told me the fuel system will get clogged more easily with the new ethanol gas blend then the previous MTBE blend. The tech didn't explain all the chemical reactions, but just boiled it down to the ethanol turning into a white substance similar to the aluminum oxides formed when aluminum corrodes. He stated that this stuff will clog the carbs and isn't as easy to burn off as "bad gas" clogging was in the past.

He stated that if the bike sits for more then a week or so, if one doesn't ride it that often, it will result in a dirty fuel system. He also said to keep the gas level as fill as possible if leaving the bike sitting for a while, and to put fuel stabilizer in it also.

The dealer's repair order states "Due to ethanol in todays (sic) gasoline fuel system cleaning is only warrantied for 14 days after completion of work! It is your responsability (sic) to keep fuel stabilized or drain the fuel from the unit per the manufactures recommendation."
I usually run ethanol free gas just for that very reason. The ethanol will gunk up the system if it sits

101 - 120 of 122 Posts