Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride with a full faced helmet on the cruiser, just wondering how many also use that type of helmet and who use a helmet just covering the top of your head. I use a full faced on the street bike I have, and when I got my cruiser, I just bought another full faced, I find them comfortable and also for protection. What do y'all use?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I wear a high visibility full face 95% of the time for the reasons you mention (safety and comfort). A bee sting in the face last season convinced me also. When it is above 90*F in the summer I'll wear a 3/4 occasionally. The half helmets are a poor excuse for any kind of protection and are mainly worn by guys who wish they didn't have to wear any helmet at all, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I wear a full face modular as it's more aerodynamic at higher speeds and very-Very rarely I'll wear a 3/4..

Helmet threads - you will get as many opinions as people who post them, but, it's your head, do what you will with it. ;)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Full face in the winter and bare minimum DOT half helmet in summer to keep the wifey satisfied.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
I wear whichever fits the ride...
Half hat, most of the time, with full coverage for just that > FULL coverage protection from cold, rain, highway debris , and interstate traveling...
When traveling I choose from both...

Free Choice states are best!!!

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I wear a full face modular as it's more aerodynamic at higher speeds and very-Very rarely I'll wear a 3/4..

Helmet threads - you will get as many opinions as people who post them, but, it's your head, do what you will with it. ;)
I prefer 3/4 and ff helmets, usually the temps determine which I wear, if its below lower 50's upper 40's then its always full.
Now I'm going to wait for 99AeroLongShots to ask about motor oil:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Don't let my moniker fool you. I just replaced my Shoei RF700 with a new RF1100.

For some reason I do not like the modular helmets, but I think they are a good idea - if not just to give the rescue crew better access and easier removal. I also like the idea of the RF1200 with emergency pull out padding.

I am, however, quite sure that I'd be taking a spin around the block naked if the law allowed. Eventually, ATGATT will be law and you'll have to wear dot approved boots, pants, jacket, and gloves to go along with your helmet - it's the American way...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I wear an HJC full face. put maybe 200mi on a half shell and just hated it, wind bugged my eyes no matter what glasses I had on.

went full face pull the shield down and love it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the half shell on my head. I feel its more comfortable than the full face, feels better in the wind as I ride, easier to talk to buddies when I ride in groups and makes me look extra cool ;-)

·
Registered
471 Posts
And to Add, in the winter I've used a fullface which is fine, but I don't like how my face gets squeezed in there, i've used a Balaclava and my halfshell plenty of times to ride in the cold and it works :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
No mandatory lid law in Kansas yet, but I wear 1/2 helmet usually. Picked up a modular a couple of weeks ago for colder riding. Does the job, but looking over my shoulder(s) to check blind spot, visibility and the ability to turn that far just aren't there.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Eventually, ATGATT will be law and you'll have to wear dot approved boots, pants, jacket, and gloves to go along with your helmet - it's the American way...

Nah, don't ever see that happening. If it did, I'd have a bike for sale. If I had to put a hard shell over my body to ride, I'd just take my suv.

Oh, and I wear a 1/2 novelty helmet, unless I'm in a free state, then I go "topless" ;).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I always have a full face helmet. I did a swan dive over a Pontiac station wagon that turned left in front of me back in 1980, landing on my face. I got a stitch in my eyebrow and a world class shiner, but my chin was still attached properly to my face. That experience forever sealed the deal for me. I've never seen a race rider without one and they have less to hit than street riders.

That said, I'm not a fan of mandatory helmet laws. We are adults and the decision of what level of risk we choose to accept should rest with us, and especially not with a bunch of legislators most of whom never put a leg over a bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Helmut dijour

I ride cruiser full, Burgman with 3/4 and ruckus with 1/2. I do believe that riding with anything other than full is probably unwise but I do it anyway. It's sometimes too hot to ride full.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Rode a dirt bike in my teens, went down face first with a full face helmet on. Scratched up the face shield so bad you couldn't see out it. That could have been my face so I decided then and there to always wear a full face helmet. That being said, as someone who used to free climb (no ropes, chocks, pitons or wedges) 1000 ft cliffs, I say we should all have the freedom to make our own choices.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
I use both, depending on the weather. When I am wearing the half helmet, I use my 7eye transition glasses with wind gasket.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wear a full face when I'm riding alone unless it's over 90 degrees then I go half helmet. If it's nice and I. Riding with others, I usually will wear the half just because it's so much easier to communicate with other riders. For road trips, I typically go full face just for the comfort on the highways. I really like the half so I have to convince myself to wear the full face whenever it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Half shell, here.
Just my opinion, and Your Mileage May Vary....

Couple months ago, I decided to try a modular in 2XL, and got a full face in XL for younger Brother Bill.
Amazingly, both fit well.
Felt strange putting them on, but they fit well.

Took us 5 minutes riding two lane highway & backroads to realize: this ain't much fun.
Took us 20 more minutes to realize: this really ain't comfortable.
Took us 30 minutes to realize: these are miserable.

Took us under a minute to find a safe pulloff so we could shuck them off, and strap them onto the bikes.
Never again.

Took me less than a week to sell mine,here.
Still have the other one for sale here, in XL. It's white. Used once for 30.5 minutes. Has an extra tinted faceshield + the clear one it came with.

And the first member here who posts "I'll take it!" here, then PM's me that he will PayPal me a grand total of $20 for shipping it anywhere CONUS is gonna find it at his door, by 1JAN2015.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I've been wearing the 3/4 helmet style in all of my riding years. Great visibility and wind noise protection yet I can still hear my engine. I've been looking for a modular that offers a wider and fuller view that I get with a 3/4 helmet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts