Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Its time to start thinking of some fun and interesting places to go on two wheels. After talking to friends and fellow riders alike, I have come up with a few fun destinations to share:

1) Sterling Clark Art Institute - This is a fun location and has one of the biggest art collections outside of NYC. They have some great programs and a wonderful venue for just about anyone. Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

2) Burlingame State Park, Charlestown RI. Some riders I know have camped here before. Biker friendly and overall a nice place to visit (so I am told). If anyone has first hand experience with this camp ground, please share your experiences!

3) Mohawk Trail - One of the greatest scenic drives in massachusetts. Rt 2 (to the west) takes you through Mt Greylock and some wonderful scenic views, right to the famous hair-pin turn. The link is for a driving tour...
Car Trips Western Mass - Scenic Driving Western MA - Tours through Western Mass Countryside - Car Rental Western Mass - The Mohawk Trail Region

If you have a fun location/destination please share! Let us know places we should check out (and those to avoid!).

Keep the shiny side up...

The Rev

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Its time to start thinking of some fun and interesting places to go on two wheels. After talking to friends and fellow riders alike, I have come up with a few fun destinations to share:

1) Sterling Clark Art Institute - This is a fun location and has one of the biggest art collections outside of NYC. They have some great programs and a wonderful venue for just about anyone. Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

2) Burlingame State Park, Charlestown RI. Some riders I know have camped here before. Biker friendly and overall a nice place to visit (so I am told). If anyone has first hand experience with this camp ground, please share your experiences!

3) Mohawk Trail - One of the greatest scenic drives in massachusetts. Rt 2 (to the west) takes you through Mt Greylock and some wonderful scenic views, right to the famous hair-pin turn. The link is for a driving tour...
Car Trips Western Mass - Scenic Driving Western MA - Tours through Western Mass Countryside - Car Rental Western Mass - The Mohawk Trail Region

If you have a fun location/destination please share! Let us know places we should check out (and those to avoid!).

The Rev
Mount Washington Auto road

Mt. Washington Auto Road

The Kanc
Kancamagus Highway in NH: Welcome to the Kancamagus Highway!

be sure not to cut this one short, beyond the famous route 112 contiues, bringing you to the VT border and some fantastic covered bridges nearby await you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
New England has a lot of beautiful and historical places. I have very good memories of the Kancamagus Highway and the Franconia Notch area in Hew Hampshire. I also remember growing up, my parents would take the old route 2 leading to the Mohawk Trail area leading out to Lake George area. Historical tidbit. General Henry Knox led the moving the cannons all the way from Ft Ticonderoga and delivered them to George Washington allowing him to drive the British out of Boston.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Mohawk Trail - One of the greatest scenic drives in massachusetts. Rt 2 (to the west) takes you through Mt Greylock and some wonderful scenic views, right to the famous hair-pin turn.

The Rev
I have to disagree, it's the greatest on the planet. Lived in Shelburne on route2 (no, not in the road) till I was 15. Grew up in this great old farm house built in 1863, cars would line up taking pictures. If you get to ride through there, swing into the town proper and take in the bridge of flowers and the famous potholes. Some of the potholes are ginormous, and I've spent many summers swimming there. But be forewarned, the water is freezing cold, polarbear club style.

Martin

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I have to disagree, it's the greatest on the planet. Lived in Shelburne on route2 (no, not in the road) till I was 15. Grew up in this great old farm house built in 1863, cars would line up taking pictures. If you get to ride through there, swing into the town proper and take in the bridge of flowers and the famous potholes. Some of the potholes are ginormous, and I've spent many summers swimming there. But be forewarned, the water is freezing cold, polarbear club style.

Martin

looks like they are on the Swift river to me. That is what I love about NH Mass, Vt, leave the state and city names off, and it's hard to figure out which state you are in

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have heard the Kancamagus highway was beautiful. getting my fiance to take LONG rides isn't easy... that and we only have one day off together a week.

I tried to get her to take a long ride for our honeymoon.. but nope.. she wants to get a trailer, drive the truck to where we are going, then use the bikes locally...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just turned on to a bike night held in Lowell MA every tuesday evening. I have never been, but when I get my new bike square with a carb rebuild, I am heading here to check things out.

Take a look... they have youtube videos and what not, if you want a flavor of what they have to offer.

Motorcycle Events, Rallys, Tuesday Nights, May through September in Lowell MA | Motorcyclenight

And as for the trip into shelburn, I finally took the new bike up Rt 116 through conway and into shelburn and had a fantastic ride... lots of twisty roads and a great destination, both for sights and a great coffee shop in the middle of town.

Keep the shiny side up,

The Rev

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I was just turned on to a bike night held in Lowell MA every tuesday evening. I have never been, but when I get my new bike square with a carb rebuild, I am heading here to check things out.

Take a look... they have youtube videos and what not, if you want a flavor of what they have to offer.

Motorcycle Events, Rallys, Tuesday Nights, May through September in Lowell MA | Motorcyclenight

And as for the trip into shelburn, I finally took the new bike up Rt 116 through conway and into shelburn and had a fantastic ride... lots of twisty roads and a great destination, both for sights and a great coffee shop in the middle of town.

Keep the shiny side up,

The Rev
a friend of mine (old co-worker) lives right across the street from the bike night in Lowell. I have been meaning to go up there. What part of western Ma are you in? I'm in Southbridge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
bike night in lowell

I have been and it was a fun night. They had a band playing that night. My husband hooks up with a bunch of M109r riders. He would go every Tuesday except he works the midnight shift and it rotates. I think the next time we can go is July 5. :grin:

·
Banned
3,795 Posts

Keep the shiny side up,

The Rev

Always wanted to get back there one day.

·
Registered
597 Posts
are they still allowing people to swim in the potholes these days? We would swim there years ago, but after all the ambulances they needed from kids getting hurt, swimming was banned, has it been re-opened?

New England has so many great places to cruise through. Once you are away from the city limits, the fun can begin. Route 169 through CT is really nice, but so is route 5 in northern VT. Route 9 from Bratt to Bennington can be fun without traffic, but with traffic..be careful.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a friend of mine (old co-worker) lives right across the street from the bike night in Lowell. I have been meaning to go up there. What part of western Ma are you in? I'm in Southbridge.
I am actually closer to central mass now, a few miles south of Orange MA. I am originally from points farther south and west, in the pioneer valley.

Now, our local hang-out is the Honey Farms, at the intersection of Rts 2 and 202. Almost any nice night there will be anywhere from 3-4 bikes to 15 or more (last night). And you can feed your caffeine addiction, they have a dunkin donuts and reasonably clean bathrooms too.

Have you gone to Rice-o-rama in north brookfield in the fall? A group of locals did a pick-up ride last october and in spite of the cold weather, it was a really fun time. So many pristine vintage bikes, it was really something. I don't think it made it above 55 deg that day as I recall.

My buddy in Amherst NH told me that Lowell is a fun time and they always have a great band. When I finally have the confidence level up mechanically on the new bike, I will be in touch and see if those interested want to meet up and say hey in person.

Take care all and keep the shiny side up...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been and it was a fun night. They had a band playing that night. My husband hooks up with a bunch of M109r riders. He would go every Tuesday except he works the midnight shift and it rotates. I think the next time we can go is July 5. :grin:

I mentioned to Chopped Shadow that at some point I would post a notice and see if anyone was interested in doing a meet and greet up there. Its almost a 2 hr ride for me, but once I get some confidence in the mechanics of the new ride, I intend on making an expedition...

Stay tuned for more info.

The Rev

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Always wanted to get back there one day.
We got a spare bedroom....

New England has so many great places to cruise through. Once you are away from the city limits, the fun can begin. Route 169 through CT is really nice, but so is route 5 in northern VT. Route 9 from Bratt to Bennington can be fun without traffic, but with traffic..be careful.
I drive/ride 169 every day to go to work. I commute from southbridge, ma to Newport, ri....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I mentioned to Chopped Shadow that at some point I would post a notice and see if anyone was interested in doing a meet and greet up there. Its almost a 2 hr ride for me, but once I get some confidence in the mechanics of the new ride, I intend on making an expedition...

Stay tuned for more info.

The Rev
Its just over an hour for me to get to Lowell. If we have a meet/greet let me know, i know i can make that (cause i work from home Wednesdays), and im pretty sure i can convince the lady to ride her bike up there too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will keep my eye open for meet and greet in Lowell. It is an hour ride for me too. Hopefully I will be ready to ride on my own by then. Just got my license in June and haven't done any highway riding yet. If not I will ride up with my husband.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This weekend was something else... beautiful weather and a bunch of friends to ride with... I started my sunday with a phone call at 9:30 am... lets go to the Vanilla Bean in Pomfret CT. That was such a fun ride, the only place it got a bit hairy was in Southbridge MA, there were so many funky stop-signs and nobody in cages knew when they should go, so they darted between bikes in our group. Not cool.

The rest of the ride was amazing... Rt 169 going down into CT was beautiful, peaceful and frequented by bikes of all shapes and sizes in both directions. At the crossroads of Rt 44 and Rt 169, where the Bean is located, it was great to just stand in the parking lot and watch all the bikes roll through the 4 way stop, let along the millions of dollars of bikes that came in while we were there.

In the hour we spend there, no less than 250 bikes came and went and the parking lot was near to capacity the entire time, with a rotation of everything from Harley's, to Benelli's, Honda's and every other shape and kind of bike. My only caution is that the food prices are typical of a CT hot-spot... $7 sorbet, $9.75 hamburger, $13 lunch specials... I think 2 beers and an ice coffee ran near 15 bucks.

We then piled on our bikes and road back to RT 202/RT2 and proceeded west on RT 2 all the way to the hair-pin turn going into Williamstown. What a breathtaking view! Its been too long since the last time I headed out there. I took a few photos and you can be the judge...

At the end of the trip, we had gone just about 280 miles in nine hours, this included a few pit stops, lunch on the road and dinner in Shelburn Falls center, a short walk from the bridge of flowers. This was my girl's first ride along RT 2 west and ever corner we went around as we closed in on the hair-pin turn was "Holy Expletive!" She was utterly blown away by the view from the back of the bike. I hope you all get a chance to experience this ride and that "Holy XXXX!" feeling.

The Rev

·
Registered
315 Posts
Was there an observation tower near there? I seem to remember one during my childhood vacations way back in the late 60's.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was there an observation tower near there? I seem to remember one during my childhood vacations way back in the late 60's.
On the way to the hair-pin, there is an observation tower on the right, but it was closed when we went through. I am not sure, it looked like the place was closed for good, not just closed for the day. The photos of the view that does not have guardrail (all but one), was shot from one of the other look-out sites.

your memory serves you well...

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
On the way to the hair-pin, there is an observation tower on the right, but it was closed when we went through. I am not sure, it looked like the place was closed for good, not just closed for the day. The photos of the view that does not have guardrail (all but one), was shot from one of the other look-out sites.

your memory serves you well...
Left at the age of 14 so memories are mostly within bicycle distance. But I do remember an observation tower on rt.2 overlooking Greenfield, is this the tower in question?

There is also the Poet's seat tower, not sure if it still exists though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts