Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
That fuse box looks sketchy and a bar clamp bolt is missing!!

I had those glass tube fuses on my 83 Ascot and switched out the fuse box to the blade type fuses from a VT500c.
I simply butt spliced the wire ends from the ascot fuse block onto the wires of the newer blade type fuse block.
Here's my glass fuses:

I used the wiring schematic in the manual as a guide to doing the wiring mods.
You would be better off doing the same as the newer blade fuse type is much more reliable.
The actual cover is harder to locate than the fuse box, as most people don't know where the mounting screws are and simply rip the cover off.(like your pic)

These bikes are so cheap, often not running and most buyers are 1st time MC owners with a vision of "building" a bobber/bar hopper/etc.
They poke around with no prior mechanical experience, no manual, trying to get it running, without spending any money.

That, and the scarcity of parts, both new and used, becomes apparent real quick for new owners.
So some creativity is needed to find parts that will work, not necessarily stock/oem, a plug and play, and cannot just be picked out of a catalog.
Any of those fuse blocks I posted will "work" but are not direct replacements for what you have.

Sorry for the rant but new owners show up here every day in the same position as you are with a variety of problems/questions.

I hope you prove me wrong and get that bike running and get to enjoy riding it, soon.
Edit: I'll look around and may still have that old glass tube fuse block.
I'll post back if I find it and will send it to you if you think you can use it.

·
Registered
1983 VT 500
6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt 500c Shadow
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had those glass tube fuses on my 83 Ascot and switched out the fuse box to the blade type fuses from a VT500c.
I simply butt spliced the wire ends from the ascot fuse block onto the wires of the newer blade type fuse block.
Here's my glass fuses:
View attachment 292499

You would be better off doing the same as the newer blade fuse type is much more reliable.
The actual cover is harder to locate than the fuse box, as most people don't know where the mounting screws are and simply rip the cover off.(like your pic)

These bikes are so cheap, often not running and most buyers are 1st time MC owners with a vision of "building" a bobber/bar hopper/etc.
They poke around with no prior mechanical experience, no manual, trying to get it running, without spending any money.

That, and the scarcity of parts, both new and used, becomes apparent real quick for new owners.
So some creativity is needed to find parts that will work, not necessarily stock/oem, a plug and play, and cannot just be picked out of a catalog.
Any of those fuse blocks I posted will "work" but are not direct replacements for what you have.

Sorry for the rant but new owners show up here every day in the same position as you are with a variety of problems/questions.

I hope you prove me wrong and get that bike running and get to enjoy riding it, soon.
I'll post back if I find it and will send it to you if you think you can use it.
tis is my second mc after 30 yrs unfortunatly i didnt realize the issue about rarety of used stock parts until after i bought ive had to do fix the last owners failed repair attempts. but it runs now and all the lights work. fuse box has 2 with broken/missing fuse clamps. the only electrical problem left is the hand lever brake switch has no wires and there no empty connections to connect to even if it had wires.

·
Registered
604 Posts
tis is my second mc after 30 yrs unfortunately i didn't realize the issue about the rarity of used stock parts until after i bought ive had to do fix the last owners failed repair attempts. but it runs now and all the lights work. fuse box has 2 with broken/missing fuse clamps. the only electrical problem left is the hand lever brake switch has no wires and there no empty connections to connect to even if it had wires.
Good to know it's running/driving, that's 95% of the battle. (y)
Know that the glass tube fuse box I have has the wires cut off but may have the parts you need.
I'll be in the garage later today and I'll look for it.

Any bike beyond the 1st or 2nd owner usually has botched/hacked repairs, doesn't run, the owner has given up on it and claims it "just needs the carbs cleaned."
good luck on your quest,

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt 500c Shadow
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here's my glass fuses:
View attachment 292499

If it has the fuse holding tabs i can use it I can just solder a replacement holder on after removing broken peice , i hadnt even considered doing that. Just let me know how much if you fnd it. thank you

·
Registered
604 Posts
If it has the fuse holding tabs i can use it I can just solder a replacement holder on after removing broken peice , i hadnt even considered doing that. Just let me know how much if you fnd it. thank you
I've looked throughout my garage and have not found it yet.
I have a box with all Ascot parts in it and have not found that box as yet, but will continue to look for it.
sorry,
:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts