Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 amp cooling fan fuse keeps blowing, anyone have this issue, don't want to put an uprated fuse in there in case it Blows the fan, not cheap to replace.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Never had that problem. Sounds like it's time to start hunting down an electrical short.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Since you live in a hot place, if your fan runs constantly it may need replacing. Have you tried spinning it by hand? If the bearings are dragging, that would make it work harder and could trip the fuse. That is my guess since there is nothing else on that circuit per my wiring chart UNLESS you have a frayed hot wire grounding out somewhere.
If you put in a jumper with 10A fuse on it and it still pops, there is your answer.

Always use KT analysis: when did it start, when does it do it, when does it not do it and what changed?

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
Didn't someone have that problem and it turned out to be a small rock stuck in the fan somewhere? Just a thought.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the fuse was blown when I got the bike in march, replaced it and it has been great up until after a 200 mile ride on the 4th of july, replaced it and it blew within a couple of days.
So the short would be the curcuit after the fuse not before, so I should trace the wires back from the fuse to the fan, correct, I have a big ride comming up to prescott on the 5th Aug so will be hunting this down this weekend.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Have you heard the fan running at all? The fuse actually protects the wiring to and from fan all the way back to the source of power. Never replace a fuse with a higher rated fuse unless you want to roast marshmellows. Check to make sure that it is the correct fuse for the fan.

·
Registered
921 Posts
the fuse was blown when I got the bike in march, replaced it and it has been great up until after a 200 mile ride on the 4th of july, replaced it and it blew within a couple of days.
So the short would be the curcuit after the fuse not before, so I should trace the wires back from the fuse to the fan, correct, I have a big ride comming up to prescott on the 5th Aug so will be hunting this down this weekend.
Can't help you with the fuse, but I live just outside of Prescott. If you need anything... Jon

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try turning the fan by hand, there should be NO resistance, if there is resistance then you need a new fan.
Fan Spins freely. guess I'll have to blow the dust of my multi-meter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts