Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this e mail, BE AWARE

As many of you know, the State of Georgia received $70,000.00 from the
NSTB for Motorcycle ONLY Safety Check Points. They will stop all Motorcycles at these Check Points.

We were informed by unnamed sources that the Check Points would start in early March to coincide with The Daytona Bike Week Event. Most points of entry to Florida will be involved.

We are anticipating them to start March 3rd in order to take advantage
of the additional flow of Motorcycle traffic thru our State.

I was told that the officers conducting the safety check points have
been trained in what to check for so be sure you, you paper work and your bike are in order.

We understand that this is just a way to increase revenues so do all
you can to avoid adding to the state funds.

There are many who Trailer into Georgia and ride into Florida from here.
You may wish to change your
plans and trailer on through to Florida

Dan Forrest,
State Director of A.B.A.T.E. Georgia

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Looks like I'll be staying out of Georgia! I always ride legal, but I absolutely despise being HARASSED by law enforcement for any reason.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Here is a link to let the Governor know how you feel about it. I did and make sure to let him know you will go out of your way to avoid Georgia which will hurt their economy and tax revenues by not buying gas or lodging in their state. It is unfair to single out a group such as Motorcycles for unreasonable stops. If we all contact them and speak with our dollars by not spending them there it is one way to let them feel the effect. If 100,000 or more bikers got to Daytona by not passing through Georgia it might hurt them a bit.

http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contac...563415,00.html

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I didn`t comment yesterday, I only had time to post it...at all the biker forums I visit, you do the same please...
ABATE GA is fighting these checkpoints with a letter to the Governor...
GA residents, you can get a copy of this letter through ABATEGA, you ain`t gotta be a member to attend ABATE events or meetings in your area...
We had a meeting with legislative reps at the capitol yesterday, I hope this done some good...
Visit Welcome to YOUR NEW ABATE of Georgia! to get a copy...
ABATE GA wants to know if you encounter one of these checkpoints, keep track of when, where and what the officers check, send the info to ABATE GA
If you ride a motorcycle you should be a member of ABATE, AMA, NCOM or any other Motorcyclists Rights Organization...
We are being discriminated against as to our choice of mode of transportation...
I`m begging GA residents to get on the list... ABATE GA membership list...

Yeah, and Thank You fer that Link Beermand

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I did too, to the effect that our Constitutional Rights as American citizens are being infringed upon...
I hope everybody who reads this does the same...
Oh yeah, tell him WHY you ain`t spending your money in GA too...

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I`m an impatient one...
I think everybody should drop what they`re doing and beckon to MY request...
What`s the argument??? I reckon I aughtta go see... ;-))
Thanks Y`all, Dennis AKA Crank

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I actually was planning a southern run this spring and was going to go thru GA, Fl. and see some kin I know.

Looks like I'll be going thru Tenn. now. And Yes your Gov knows my change of plans. Now. :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sent the Gov'ner the message Cap'n!

Hopefully we will see this program shot down before it gets off the ground!

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Here is what I sent!

I live in Kansas but frequently, during the summer, take trips on my motorcycle. It appears I will be avoiding your state from this point on so as not to be unnecessarily harassed by your Law Enforcement Officers. I'm not into being stopped for no particular reason...just to check. Are you going to put up checkpoints for...let's say minivans? No? Why motorcycles? Think about it. I won't be staying in your hotels. I won't be eating in your restaurants. And I won't be spending any money in your state at all. I am not the only one. You and your state might rethink your gestapo methods and your obvious disdain towards certain populations.
Yours...not truly,
Charles

:-D And I just got an email from his office and it appears I will get a direct response from him shortly! Will he call? Will he write? Come see me personally? Can't wait! :lol:

Governor Deal has received your e-mail and appreciates hearing from you. You will receive a direct response from him shortly. With the very high volume of messages and mail, we hope you will understand if there is a delay in responding. If this is an urgent or time-sensitive matter, please call us directly at 404-656-1776. Again, our thanks for your comments and input.

Please do not reply directly to this message. Thank you.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, this is good, several websites I belong to have had several bikers send these messages. They may or may not care but speaking with our dollars and re routing our trips to Florida to miss Georgia will hurt their states pocket book!

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Y`all!!!
ABATE is our freind!!!
We need you to join MROs of your choice...
NY SC GA Who knows where else we are being discriminated against unless we post here on the internet, there is NOT much media on the motter through news or other than Biker publications...
I`m looking fer our senate and congressional reps e mails now...
Any help??? (Link ?)

I`m going riding this afternoon, to AL, I hope NOT to be stopped fer a "Safety Check" while enroute...
Thanks again Y`all, keep up putting out the heads up to everyone who Rides...
Dennis (AKA Crank)

Just an added note;
I`m an ABATE D-13 Safety and Awareness instructor...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Painter, I wrote the governor a direct, to the point letter, outlining the biased harassment this indicates, and let him know that I shall not include Georgia in mt cross country trip this year. -----Metalguy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts