Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the sticky, but I still have a small question. I began this winter storage in the Chicago area in the middle of November, there is a chance now in February I might decide to get the bike out and run around. I am wondering if the gas could be stale by now and if I should drain the tank and get new gas or if it should be ok to run through the bike, I know it might sound a little overkill but I want to treat her right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 1977 Bronco that only gets driven a few hundred miles a year. I do use StaBil as an additive but have never had fuel related issues. Even untreated gas should be fine for 10-12 weeks. Just my experiences. That being said, it can do no harm to drain the tank and put in fresh fuel. Be sure and properly dispose of the old fuel. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quick question on stabilizers: Sta-Bil or Sea Foam?
I use SeaFoam a couple of times per year to clean up any varnish and Sta-Bil the rest of the time.
I always have one or the other in my gas since I have several bikes and they may not get ridden for a few weeks.

Ride Safely,

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
I use a product called Startron. I buy it at Wallyworld in the boating section and it works great. If you didn't treat the gas before you put it away I would dump it. But if you didn't treat it the bigger problem will be gummed up carbs.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I just got done pulling the carbs off of a bike I bought 2 weeks ago. It is a 97 VT1100C with only 2220 miles on it. I have not tried to start it yet. The bike never had any fuel stablizer in it. It is also appearent that the tank was not kept topped off. The carburator bowls had plenty of red sediment in them. I have them clean and back on the bike. I pulled out the fuel petcock form the tank today after reinstalling the carbs, and my gosh what a mess. I was able to clean the petcock filter out, but I rinsed the tank three time an I'm not satisfied yet. I was able to get the old fuel filter under the breather box out without having to drop the swingarm (as suggested by the manual). I ran out and bought a new fuel filter, not an exact replacement, but it will do till I can get one in.

Just telling this story, cause stablizer works wonders, but condensation rusts near empty tanks. Keep them topped off before you park them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts