Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kust bought a 03 750 spirit this week and didnt notice until it was delivered that there is no gas gauge. i understand the whole reserve thing, but does anyone know if there is a after market gas guage, say maybe a gas cap with some tube hanging down and a floater of some type on it to give it a gauge also? i have looked all over the net and cant find anything, but it seems like there should be somewhere with all the customizing that is done anymore. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry...with so many different shapes of tanks...I've never seen an aftermarket gauge.

You're just gonna do what the rest of us have gotten used to....drive by the odometer...learn where your bike hits reserve and gas up somewhere before that point.

My 1100 gets about 44mpg, so I generally hit reserve at 150 miles...I usually stop for petrol every 110 to 120 miles, if only to stretch...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yep it's drive by the odometer time. I start looking at 130 miles to fill up on my Aero. I've hit 145 without using reserve.

If you do hit reserve, DON'T forget to switch it back to on after you fill up.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yep, I hit reserve on my 05 750 Aero between 120 & 130 miles. Depends on how I'm riding.

Bruce

·
Registered
949 Posts
I got a fix for you if interested.

It will require you removing and draining the tank for installation but it is a fairly accurate gauge when the bike is straight up.

After emptying and removing the tank you must drill a hole in the lowest part of the tank that contains fuel. Then drill another in the top of the tank.

Attach a 90 degree threaded hose coupler to the tank at each hole and seal them very well.

Run a clear chemical resistant hose from one coupler to the other. You could plumb in a fancy glass tube. make this tube vertical along either side of the tank, your choice, and then you can monitor the level of fuel in your tank.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Odo for me. About 110 miles before reserve on my ACE 1100 w/ aftermarket pipes, K&N filter, & rejett

·
Registered
295 Posts
I too have learned to drive by odometer and fill up at 120 miles whether I hit reserve or not. I have only hit reserve 3 or 4 times in 15,000 miles. One trick to remember is when you switch to reserve, flip down the keyhole cover on the gas tank to remind you to switch it back when you fill up.

I was riding with a friend whose bike started to sputter and when he went to switch to reserve found that he was already on reserve :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts