Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, my vt700c is riding great , but I noticed a strong smell of gasoline. I have looked all over and can not find any leaks or anything. No spots on the driveway, where I always park it. I don’t want to pull anything apart, before coming to you guys and see if any of you have had this problem before. Any help will be greatly appreciated, TIA.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
My 1983 750 was doing that about a year ago too. I noticed wet gas as I rubbed my hand along the right bottom edge of the tank, I found the welded bracket for the front mount was seeping on the inner side of the tank. Probably the weld cracked a little over the years,. So I took it off and resealed it with Rod Kote and it works fine now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the gas smell there all the time...or only after a ride...or only with a full tank? It only takes a drop or two to get a strong gas smell.
Thanks for replying, the is usually when I start the bike, and once is going it stays. I don’t see any leaks , or anything wet. Some time this week I’m going to take a look at the petcock, just to be sure it’s not that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you talking about the smell of liquid gasoline, or the smell of the exhaust?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the smell of liquid gasoline, or the smell of the exhaust?
Yes , I’m talking the smell of gasoline. I had my son rev it up , and it’s not coming from the exhaust that’s what has me confused. I could smell it from the left side of the bike, right around where the petcock is, but like I said , I don’t see any leaks or wet???????whatever helps. Also, the bike runs as perfect as a bike this should. Oh I forgot to tell you , it is a 86’ Honda Shadow vt700c, all stock, btw.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Could Possibly be the tank vent allowing fumes to get out...
I`ve hunted for gas over the years, because, Mine smells like gas too...
I ain`t found no leak,
Dennis

·
Registered
29 Posts
Use process of elimination. Remove the gas tank and petcock and attach a fuel bottle directly to the carburetor gas port and start the bike. With the tank and petcock out of the picture, do you still get the gas smell. Also, it is easer to find leaks without a gas tank. I use the one in the pic to test carburetors for leaks before putting them back on the bike. Many times I have hung it from the handle bars and went for a short ride with no gas tank.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
The early bikes like that have a vented gas cap. On a hot day you may smell that venting.You should also look at the hoses between the main tank and the reserve tank, they may be seeping where you cant see it. If you pull the seats you can see all that.
And look down below where the fuel shut off valve is, filter and pump.
And the carb bowl vent may have a hose running down and behind the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The early bikes like that have a vented gas cap. On a hot day you may smell that venting.You should also look at the hoses between the main tank and the reserve tank, they may be seeping where you cant see it. If you pull the seats you can see all that.
And look down below where the fuel shut off valve is, filter and pump.
And the carb bowl vent may have a hose running down and behind the engine.
Thanks , I will check all of that . It’s been raining we’re I’m at(PA.) but as soon as it stops I’ll get on it. I really appreciate your help , thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own that same bike except mine is red. When I kept smelling gas i checked all over the place and could not fine a leak. I rebuilt the old petcock and problem solved. I know on that bike fuel lines will sometimes get tiny pin holes in them that are hard to find. Also swifty is right about that vented cap. On a hot day I can sometimes get a whiff of gas smell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts