Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Shadow 750 ACE with 7,000 miles. Well cared for. This week I noticed after riding and putting the bike in the garage, when I go back to the garage in a few minutes there is a very strong gasoline smell. Nothing is wet, no drips, everything seems fine. Never did this before. I checked all the hoses, gas cap, etc. cant figure it out. I did recently fill the tank (few days ago) and it is about half full now.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where are you? Has the weather been warmer than normal this week? Is the gas tank warm when you smell the gasoline vapors?

My guess is that it is winter grade gasoline that is warm. Winter grade has a vapor pressure of 15 lb. compared to summer grade with a vapor pressure of 9 lb and some areas 8.5 lb. The gas tank gets heat from the motor raising the temperature of the liquid causing more vapors. The tank is vented.

Cars have the gas tanks under the car where it stays cooler, and a pressurized gas cap that keeps up to three lb on the tank to reduce vapor. Gas vapors from the tank go to a charcoal canister to absorb the vapors until they are sucked into the motor while driving.

One thing that may help is to fill the tank with cool gasoline at the nearest gas station before parking the bike. It that doesn’t do the trick, park the bike outside until it cools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Dallas. It was cold but warmed up to 70 degrees for some great riding. I dont know if Dallas has 'winter blend" gas or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just started noticing the same problem. '03 750 Spirit. It just started recently. Never noticed it during the summer, but I left the bike outside after riding rather than taking it right in the garage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stango said:
I am in Dallas. It was cold but warmed up to 70 degrees for some great riding. I dont know if Dallas has 'winter blend" gas or not.
Oh yeah, you have winter grade gasoline in Dallas. I don’t know when they switch in Texas, but in Kansas the refineries switch in April and September.

Found a Corpus Christi newspaper article about gas prices being affected by the switch last year. http://kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4614725&nav=menu192_2_6_11

BTW, winter grade cost less to produce than summer grade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know you said you said you couldn't see or find raw gas, but I had the same problem with a sportster. When I'd come home from a ride, everything seemed fine. But if I went into the garage a few hours later, I could smell raw gas. Thought it was the cars at first. I ran my hand under the bowl of the carburator and came up with raw gas on my hand. The leak was a bad O ring that seals the bottom gas bowl to the carb. I suppose there might be a possibility that it might just be loose too. The leak was so slow that when I'd pull into the garage and shut down, everything was dry. But after a few hours, there'd be enough gas to stink up the whole garage. It only takes a drop.

Good luck buddy, hope I've helped.

Bocco

·
Registered
41 Posts
My problem was a slow drip drip drip from the petcock... I replaced the valve (about $60) and no more stink in the garage.

I took the old valve apart and it was shot. The facing between the cover plate (riveted on) and the valve body itself was severly pitted. The pitting extended to the channel where the O-ring was seated preventing the O-ring from doing its job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your problem, I believe, is more common than you think. My bike does the same thing, and when I posted it on the vtxoa forum, numerous people replied with the same thing. On my bike it seems to happen when I'm out for a fairly long ride; 60 miles or more. Now, I just leave the bike outside for about 20 minutes, then bring it into the garage and then there's no gas stink.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem and sniffed around. I noticed it was coming from the right side of my bike (01 750 ACE). I noticed a tube hanging and just re-attached it. Afterwards I did some searching on this forum, and found the following:

Originally Posted by kcr
"I have the same bike as you. Your missing tube is the vent from the gas tank. It slips over the nipple on the rear right of the tank. Gas will drip from mine if I fill up with gas and leave the bike in the sun.

The tube slips onto the nipple you pictured and goes up and through to the right side below the tank. "

I'll find out tomorrow after I return from work and park it in my garage if the smell is gone . . . I hope so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts