Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding my deal of the lifetime and getting everything the way I want, I went to the garage this morning and it refused to start (again). I fooled with the A/F screws, ran the battery down, then gave up.

I phoned the local bike shop, they're bringing a trailer. I told them to start at the front tire and go all the way through the bike, changing out all fluids, plugs, plug wires, clean, re-jet, sync the carbs, lube, oil, grease, do whatever it takes to make it run like new. Sick of the problems.

BTW, the repair person told me that ethanhol (sp) gas is his best friend? I asked him why's that, and he told me that it clogs up carbs and keeps his shop full of business year round. I said whatever - just fix my bike like new.

Said it'll be about 5-7 days: "approximate" price, including tow: 500-600 dollars.

Kirk Out

·
Registered
617 Posts
Interesting about the ethanol. When we picked up my bike, the guy at the dealorship was going on and on about not using ethanol. I was excited and did not pay a lot of attention to his rant...because it was sooooooo much more than " you shouldn't use it" he was getting all political...and I just wanted the bike.

·
Registered
776 Posts
So many pumps now say "MAY contain up to 10% Ethanol." I get that gas all the time and I do not know of any gas stations that do not use it. Is there a particular brand that does not? 10% poison sounds like a bit too much for my baby!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So many pumps now say "MAY contain up to 10% Ethanol." I get that gas all the time and I do not know of any gas stations that do not use it. Is there a particular brand that does not? 10% poison sounds like a bit too much for my baby!
You'll be lucky if its less than18-23%.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Yea it's a pain - but riding regularly should keep thing in good shape - use some berryman B12 occasionally to keep things cleaned up - Can't get away from Ethanol around here and if you ride any distance at all away from your home - -good luck finding fuel at all in Bum F#ck nowhere when you need it, much less being picky about the ethanol levels.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My bike is really finicky about ethanol. It doesn't like it one bit. I use premium gas and it seems to help. Usually Shell or Citgo. I've read the fuelology thread and I know it shouldn't make a difference; but if the bike runs a little better and the snake oil is only an extra $0.40 - $0.60 per tank I'll buy it for percieved peace of mind alone.

Also if the bike is slow to start or idles a little rough, I find a little bit of open road and a lot of throttle can help. TBH that seems to fix a lot of problems. ;)

Here's hoping it's wasn't anything serious, or perhaps that it was serious and the local bike shop is making it go away and you're getting your money's worth.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Most gas now can chum up your tank/carbs/FI in as little as 4-5 weeks.
If you're not going through a tank in that time, you're bike is probably starting to run like crap.

A touch of SeaFoam or other 'anti-ethanol' additive is just about mandatory with each tank....more so in the off season when you might ride occassionally or not at all.

Gas treatment is now a major pm / maintenance / storage item.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
My bike is really finicky about ethanol. It doesn't like it one bit. I use premium gas and it seems to help. Usually Shell or Citgo. I've read the fuelology thread and I know it shouldn't make a difference; but if the bike runs a little better and the snake oil is only an extra $0.40 - $0.60 per tank I'll buy it for percieved peace of mind alone.

Also if the bike is slow to start or idles a little rough, I find a little bit of open road and a lot of throttle can help. TBH that seems to fix a lot of problems. ;)

Here's hoping it's wasn't anything serious, or perhaps that it was serious and the local bike shop is making it go away and you're getting your money's worth.
Recently switched back to premium for the added cleaning agents alone. Bike seemed to run stronger on the regular but was short lived and began having issues. Problem seems to be getting better after only two tanks of the hightest.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Found an intersting site that talks about fuel additives and ethanol.
Is your gas additive safe with E10 fuel?

E10 Ethanol: Recommended engine precautions

As noted many fuel additives including SeaFoam contain alcohal as a major component. So does it make sense to add even more alcohal?

I don't have the answers but it would seem that many of the suggested additives on this site may actually make the problem worse.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The repair guy came and left with my bike in tow. He fooled with the carbs for about 10 minutes, he got it to idle for a few minutes, then it would die.

He was sure that some debris had clogged the piolot jets and where it had sat in the garage for 2 years, the old gas had formed a layer of varnish that the Seafoam & Carb/Choke cleaner had broken free and clogged up the system.

On the list of repairs are:

1. Remove, clean, rejet/sync the carbs
2. Change all fluids/filters (coolant/oil/re-lube all bearings)
3. New plugs and plug wires
4. New OEM filters, flush out all lines
5. Check compression, check for exhaust and any other leaks, drips
6. Replace any cracked/dry-rotted lines, gaskets
7. Finally a full detail

This is one of the best/top-notch mechanics in the panhandle area and he suggested that I go to one of the many boat marinas in our area to refuel my bike, as they sell pure gasoline because (normal gas station pump) gas will eventually cause the same problem(s), it's just a matter of time.

He's currently working on a 2010 HD bagger with only 1900 miles on the clock - same symptoms as mine, it was left sitting for 4 months with gasoline in the system.

I told him I only paid 2K for the bike, he was shocked and said even after the 500/600 repair bill, I still made out like a bandit :) and he guarantees his work for 6 months.

Now the long 2 week wait to get my ride back :(

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've been wondering about ethanol. As a boater I put a bottle of treatment in my tank every time I fill up (200 gallon tank). On average I'll use that 200 gallons in one to two weeks (yes, I use my boat a lot!) so the fuel does not sit for long periods of time. Ethanol causes a lot of problems in boats. I always use premium gas in the bike (as I do my Jaguar and my boat) and have had no problems with the bike. A couple of gallons of fuel in the bike only lasts 100 miles so I fill up 2 to 3 times per week (yes, I use the bike a lot too!) and the fuel does not sit. I am more concerned about winter. I'll plan on changing the oil and filling up with fuel (like I do the boat) before I put the bike away for winter but is there any particular fuel additive you guys recommend for winter storage?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
surf to pure-gas.org to find ethanol free gas stations in your state. there are other web sites too but right now I can't think of them. Do a search on this forum and you should find others people have listed in the past.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Recently switched back to premium for the added cleaning agents alone. Bike seemed to run stronger on the regular but was short lived and began having issues. Problem seems to be getting better after only two tanks of the hightest.
Do you think its worth it? i use regular, the wife uses premium... she gets WAY better MPG than me..

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
We just got the bride's bike back from the shop due to non-starting due to.....wait for it....drum roll...water contaminated ethanol in the tank and carb.

Since I can't find a water seperator small enough to fit in tight spaces, I will be adding Ts to the gas lines on the assumption that the water will drop into the vertical leg which I can open on occasion. All I need now is some clear plastic line or a glass tube for visibility and we give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
We just got the bride's bike back from the shop due to non-starting due to.....wait for it....drum roll...water contaminated ethanol in the tank and carb.

Since I can't find a water seperator small enough to fit in tight spaces, I will be adding Ts to the gas lines on the assumption that the water will drop into the vertical leg which I can open on occasion. All I need now is some clear plastic line or a glass tube for visibility and we give it a whirl.
is this a growing issue with ethanol-fuel? should i be looking into getting separators for our bikes?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I have been putting any old pump gas -- from "top tier" to no-name -- in cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, boats, lawnmowers and chain saws for as long as there has been ethanol in gas, and have never had a whiff of problem. And some of these machines spend months at a time in storage. Tens of millions of North Americans pump this stuff into their vehicles every day and drive off happy as clams.

I have taken apart numerous carburetors on these machines, and the only ill effect I have ever encountered is dried-out o-rings, and only then on bikes more than 15 years old. That may be due to ethanol, but I can't be sure of even that. The idea that ethanol can leave deposits of some kind has me completely baffled.

It's probably better not to listen to Bubba at the garage too carefully. If he charges $500-600 for a couple of hours work maybe he has ulterior motives.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.