Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,242 Posts
How cold is it where you are?
Do you have conventional (not synthetic) gear lube in there.

I'm a chain guy, but I seem to recall that depending on those things it might be sorta normal or at least not unusual.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,637 Posts
That looks more like the drain screw at the bottom of the differential. The vent is on the top. You may need the new washer under the drain plug. Probably time to replace the fluid and install a new washer.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,973 Posts
I once fill my rear housing while on the side stand which overfills it. On a hard left turn oil would fling up high enough to come out of the breather. On a cold day It would do it all the time.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I once fill my rear housing while on the side stand which overfills it. On a hard left turn oil would fling up high enough to come out of the breather. On a cold day It would do it all the time.
You are supposed to fill it on the side stand.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,246 Posts
It may be from the vent since there is a drop on the axle nut. Some guys have used synthetic and they say it fixed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the memphis area. It's been cold. 40 the day I rode. Never thought of thick lube being pushed up out the vent. It's all original from 04. Probably time to change it even though it looks clean.
It may be from the vent since there is a drop on the axle nut. Some guys have used synthetic and they say it fixed it.
To my knowledge it's never been serviced. I planned on it but never did. Bike has 11k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As soon as synthetic gear lubes became available I switched my bike's final drives to them, over 30 years ago. I rode BMW bikes for years and currently have two Hondas with shaft drive and have never experienced any problems using synthetic gear oil. Warm up bike, allow oil to drain until none drips, refill with bike upright and level. Torque drain and fill plugs to specified values.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As soon as synthetic gear lubes became available I switched my bike's final drives to them, over 30 years ago. I rode BMW bikes for years and currently have two Hondas with shaft drive and have never experienced any problems using synthetic gear oil. Warm up bike, allow oil to drain until none drips, refill with bike upright and level. Torque drain and fill plugs to specified values.
So not on the kick stand?

·
Registered
2 Posts
On center stand or supported level and flat with a jack if center stand isn't installed.

Service manuals of both factory type and after market are valuable resources of information with descriptions of service procedures. Also searching forums will lead to discussions and solutions of most service questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts