Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I noticed something, perhaps always there, I dont know, but my newly acquired 07 Sabre has a "rattle" like feel sometimes when riding. I feel it only on the left peg. Not always. I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me, but today I noticed it after hitting a couple of bumps.

I kept thinking maybe its the road, but I only felt it at times on the left peg.

I checked and nothing seemed loose. I continued to ride and all was fine, but at times, I could still feel a rattle like feel on the left peg.

So, when I got home, inspected more. I felt things by hand. No wrenching as I just didnt want to be tightening things unless there is reason too.

I noticed that the gear Gear shifter/tie rod/spindle have a little free play, to the left and to the right, about 1/16 to 1/8" (if that).

Does your Sabre have this "Free play". I mean, grab the Gear shifter/tie rod/spindle and move side to side by hand.

I am now wondering if that was rattling I felt in the left peg, when road is rough, and that rattle is what I felt in the peg?

If not, then what else could it be?
Tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,095 Posts
My Spirit has the same play there. Recommendations from this wonderful site was to drill out and put in new bushing. Currently looking for a bushing that will fit so I know what size to drill.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle chain Motor vehicle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping others with 2000-2007 Sabre's would chime in. I am curious on freeplay on Sabres

·
Registered
45 Posts
Afaik, there shouldn't be too much play in these shifters.
I once had that issue with a 50cc café racer after i dropped it softly on the side, probably bend something somewhere in there that gave it more play.
Cut up a fizzy drink aluminum can and rolled it around the bushing twice and then shoved the shifter back on. the play was virtually gone, and it felt better shifting gears.
no more sliding left and right.
my shadow has the slightest play, my Magna has none, and my yamahaxj600 has no play either.

I'd advise to try a fix up or replace the bushing

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am hoping others with 2000-2007 Sabre's would chime in. I am curious on freeplay on Sabres
Hey Kezug,

I just checked my 2001 Sabre with 40,000 miles and:

Shift peg pivot side to side - .013

Splined shifter spindle shaft - .018

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts