Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a point where I want to replace the original battery in my 1985 Shadow VT700C, and I want to go with a maintenance free battery. I would prefer a gel one because I hear that they take vibrations and abuse better than a regular battery. Does anyone know where I can get one? The battery is a "T" or cross style battery and I'm having a tough time finding one.

· Registered
1,308 Posts
No, you don’t want a gel battery, you want an AGM battery, like the Yuasa YTZ14-S. This also fits the Honda ST 1300.

http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery-details.asp?battery=724

You can buy other AGM batteries the right size cheaper, but probably will not get 230 CCA like the YTZ14-S.

A gel battery is just a sealed flooded cell battery with a gelling agent (silica gel) added to make it spill proof. Gel batteries need to be charged at a lower rate to prevent bubbles from forming in the gel.

AGM battery technology has only been around since 1985. Harley started using them in 1997. It is amazing how many people don’t know the difference, even people who sell batteries often don’t know.

For your 85 VT700, cut a piece of ¼ or ½ inch exterior plywood 6"L x 3 7/16"W to put under the new battery.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool I'll give them a call. I don't know why it's so hard to find a maintenance free replacement battery for Sally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.