Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going to the Motorcycle Show next week and have my eye on the Shadow Spirit 1100. Could someone please give me their opinion on this model, how it handles, pros and cons etc. Would really appreciate any comments..thanks...:?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2 cents worth:

I have a 2006 Shadow Spirit 1100. I started riding street bikes in 1976 on a new Honda CB750 Four. I have owned Kawasaki 750 and the KZ650. After several years of non riding I bought my Spirit on my 50th birthday. After nearly 1 and a half years this is what I can say:

It is not a fast bike compared to my others. The gearing is a little too "tall". You've got to wind it out a little between gear shifts. The rear brake is a little weaker but not really a problem than I would like. That's all the negatives I have.

Here is what I like:

It's a little taller in the saddle than many of its 1100 cousins. That fits my 6'3" frame well. Many other bikes put my knees way too high. It accelerates smoothly and corners well. The stock seat is very comfortable for me. It rides as smoothly at 80-85 as it does at lower speeds. The gas mileage is around 42 for me and can get as high as 47-48 on back roads long rides. Arms, butt, back and legs do well for up to a couple hours of continous riding--then a short break and I'm good for another 2 hours.

In a nutshell, this is a nice cruiser with decent long distance capabilites and does pretty good riding double. There is very little maintenance required. Its price compared with some other manufacturers comparable models makes it a real bargain. Some folks wish there were more readily available accessories, but I found everything I want easily--but then I'm not into "bling".

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an 05 that I have tweaked a little which is about all you can do with the spirit...lol Not many mods available but there are quite a few accessories. Get it...dont look back. It is very well balanced, handles extremely well and the power is more than adequate :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
Joe, the Spirit is a great ride for the price. I have put some miles on my 06 and it has shined. I have changed the seat because I do tend to ride over 500 miles everyonce in a while. :D. The stock one started to get un comfortable after an hour or two.
I like the fact that it has not been back to the dealer since I bought it. It runs great in any kind of enviroment.
No, it isn't the quickest scoot around but it ain't the slowest.
If you purchase one I suggest you look into getting a windshield if your gonna to do any kind of extended hiway riding.

What ever you get, ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I went from an 82 cb750 custom to my 05 spirit. It took me a few minutes to get used to the fact that the pegs were in a different location. Man is this bike comfy to ride.

·
Registered
943 Posts
new owner perspective

I dig mine....especially the old school chopper look. my only complaint, and I seriously mean my only complaint. When you really get on er, it vibrates, you can tell its not a rubber mounted engine, again, old school.

but things I like ????????

you have an hour ?????

seating position is very comfortable, I like long distance rides, so I am getting a windshield, the seating position makes your body a sail, but its ohhh so comfortable.

the front is designed to let me stretch a little, again as was all ready said, some of the other cruisers I felt like I was being squished in a box, and I am onlt 5' 7".

The seat is long, my girlfriend and I said on a sportster, and we were cramped together.....this seat gives us some room not to be all over each other, plus, it comes stock with a backrest, very cool.

handeling, I was scared to death of getting a big cruiser ( hey my largest before this was a 700, so its big to me). This thing is so forgiving and easy to handle, I dont know why, but it made me get over my nervousness quickly.

acceleration is decent, you wont win a speed contest, but " Cruiser " means cruising, not laguna seca, and it seems to ride prety smooth and shine at highway speed.

The seat seems okay, but I haven't been in it for more than an hour at a time..so we shall see, but really, no bike comes stock with a great seat.

accessories are limited, but what do you need, engine guards and windshield are readily available....exhausts, a little limited,but there, chrome parts you can get too.

If you plan on saddlebags, keep in mind size, if you want any decent size, you have to relocate the turn signals, and watch how high the exhaust pipe is.

Overall, I am liking my bike more everyday, I have no desire to upgrade or more power, the only thing I want to do is keep building my spirt......

so buy the bike

·
Registered
932 Posts
I did a lot of research before I bought my Spirit 1100 and am glad I bought it. My criteria included the following:

water cooled engine
tubeless tires
high gearing for good highway cruising
drive shaft and hydraulic lifters for minimal maintence

Like Sonnybass said, the gearing is rather tall, and I don't like the wide gap between first and second gear, but it is livable. I think the engineers could have designed the first to second gear gap closer. The gas mileage is reasonable in the mid 40s mpg, which is better than many bikes. I like the styling and it weighs less than many other 1100 cc bikes.

If I didn't have a bike right now, I would buy a Spirit 1100 again.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wow, what can I say vs. what should I have.

I have a 05. So, coming from a virago I had bought in May because I had had six of them so far and all were good bikes. I saw this amazing colored Spirit 1100 in Candy red. The dealership had put on a set of drag pipes and the cheapest piece of saran wrap they called a windshield.

I picked it up today from my incompetent stealership after having it rebuilt due to an accident. It now has the Memphis Fats shield with a nice ruby lower tint and it looks very much better.

I love the parking lot manners of this bike. I love it’s cruising characteristics. It is happy to cruise around at 30mph as in a mass group ride like a PGR mission or the ride for kids. I commute 62 miles each way to and from work and it is very happy to sit at 80-85 MPH indicated. It is very sure footed when it comes to cross winds. The center of gravity is just right for me and the position of the pegs, after getting used to it. I over maintain it but it requires very little. I have put on 12700 miles since June 22nd and done nothing but change out the starter switch and oil changes.

The looks are incredible in my opinion. I like a ‘naked type look” and it is often confused with a HD, which I understand was the source of their inspiration.

If you like the looks, buy it, you will not regret you decision.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hey Dragoon, could you post a few pictures of your bike with the new Ruby Fats? I haven't seen any pictures posted of red spirit 1100 with the red shield and I sure would like to see it from a few different angles (Front, 45° and side) before I buy. I'm trying to decide between the Big Shot and the Fats.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
pixelpusher said:
Hey Dragoon, could you post a few pictures of your bike with the new Ruby Fats? I haven't seen any pictures posted of red spirit 1100 with the red shield and I sure would like to see it from a few different angles (Front, 45° and side) before I buy. I'm trying to decide between the Big Shot and the Fats.
For sure. Will do that this aft. It looks sweet for sure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ive got an 06' Spirit 1100 and I love most everything about it. Its a little more comfortable and fits me better than most of the other 1100s I tried out which were a little to short. Mine has a few bolt on goodies as far as performance and styling go and its a good looking bike in my opinion and the power is just fine the gearing is great for cruising. I've taken a few long rides and the factory seat is a little less than satisfactory but as most people, I'm planning on upgrading the saddle. The aftermarket for these bikes isnt huge but there are more then enough parts out there to satisfy most peoples taste. All in all it's a great bike and for the price you cant beat it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts