Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend is perfectly fine with me riding but isn't completely sold on riding 2 up. The other weekend I had her come down and just sit on the back while it's still in the garage on the dolly. First she jumps on it when I had my back turned and starts bouncing around which freaked me out because it's not entirely stable on the dolly unless you're holding the brake, etc.

Anyways, I get on and have her behind me and I'm just kind of bouncing the bike in place and she's joking around making vroom vroom noises. Everythings going great so I turn the key, pull in the clutch, make sure it's in neutral, kickstand up and start it up. Response is still positive at this point and I rev it up a few times for real vroom vroom noises. Then the most boneheaded move I could make.......

I reach my foot out and pop the gear shift! Bike pops forward a few inches at most and dies (hand still on the brake). She death grips me around the torso. Mental check at what I did and I start laughing at myself....she finally joins in after a few nervous moments.

So......2 up riding goes on the back burner for a little while longer.....haha..... No idea why I popped that gear shifter without pulling in the clutch. Just excited I guess......

· Registered
5,354 Posts
I have to be honest.. You sound like a terrible rider,

You need a lot more riding experience before you take a young girl on the back, and you need to get her a full set of racing leathers and gloves and helmet, If you cripple her by bad riding you will ruin the rest of both of your lives..

In this country we are not allowed a pillion rider unless we have insured them.

John.

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
So my girlfriend is perfectly fine with me riding but isn't completely sold on riding 2 up. The other weekend I had her come down and just sit on the back while it's still in the garage on the dolly. First she jumps on it when I had my back turned and starts bouncing around which freaked me out because it's not entirely stable on the dolly unless you're holding the brake, etc.

Anyways, I get on and have her behind me and I'm just kind of bouncing the bike in place and she's joking around making vroom vroom noises. Everythings going great so I turn the key, pull in the clutch, make sure it's in neutral, kickstand up and start it up. Response is still positive at this point and I rev it up a few times for real vroom vroom noises. Then the most boneheaded move I could make.......

I reach my foot out and pop the gear shift! Bike pops forward a few inches at most and dies (hand still on the brake). She death grips me around the torso. Mental check at what I did and I start laughing at myself....she finally joins in after a few nervous moments.

So......2 up riding goes on the back burner for a little while longer.....haha..... No idea why I popped that gear shifter without pulling in the clutch. Just excited I guess......
Sounds like you need to do some solo riding first so you get to know your bike and learn it before taking on a passenger. No laughing matter:roll:

· Registered
118 Posts
I learnt to ride on my Shadow and had carried my wife for a few quick rides on it even while I was practicing! Wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it was done on private roads and at low speeds (<30mph).

We both had dreams of taking long cruises together, so I ordered up fully safety wear for her.. gloves, jackets full face helmet.. and immediately after, I found out I was going to be a daddy! So much for those dreams.. :lol:

· Registered
15 Posts
You guys may have jumped the gun a bit on being hard on him... I've only been riding for a few years, but I have my gf on the back of my shadow every now and then. it sounds like they we're just goofing around a bit and he made a stupid rookie mistake, which everyone can say they do from time to time... Just make sure you get her the proper gear before you take her out on a ride, and my suggestion is to start in a parking lot and let her get used to the bike at slow speeds first.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Sign her up for a motorcycle training course as a gift. It will serve to make her more comfortable around bikes and also become a better back
seat rider, she may even want her own bike.

· Registered
1,479 Posts
Sign her up for a motorcycle training course as a gift. It will serve to make her more comfortable around bikes and also become a better back
seat rider, she may even want her own bike.
That is great advice. I have to take the safety course this year to get my NJ bike license (long story) and I intend on having my wife go with me.

When I bought a bike again 5 years ago I hadn't ridden in +/- 20 years. I first bought a VLX. That bike was too small for us to ride one up and I wanted to take a summer to get used to riding again. The next summer I upgraded to a VT1100. My wife rode with me a few times but wasn't really comfortable on the bike. It had hard bags that were mounted high. She is short and the hard bags kept her from getting her feet fully on the floor boards I had installed. I rode that for almost a full summer then moved to a Harley 1200 Sportster. She was even less comfortable on that and only rode with me once or twice.

This will be my 3rd summer with my current bike, a Harley Road King. She loves this bike, is very comfortable and rides with me all of the time. In fact she suggests we take the bike more often than I do. She is also comfortable riding with me because she knows I'm safety first and she has seen me get us out of a few close calls. We've been boaters for 10 years and she knows my attitude towards safety.

My point is take your time and make sure she is comfortable on the bike. For my wife and I that made all the difference in the world. The safety course suggestion above was a great one. Take her on short rides and get her feeling good about it. Make sure she knows you all about safe riding and show her that she can be comfortable in your ability to ride safe and handle the bike.

Good luck. In my opinion riding a bike becomes much more fun when your significant other is as passionate about it as you are.

· Registered
1,479 Posts
I have to be honest.. You sound like a terrible rider,

John.
Because the guy mistakenly put the bike in gear without pulling in the clutch? I'd bet there is NO ONE here who can say they haven't F-ed up and made a mistake. I guess it's awesome for you if you are perfect and haven't made a mistake.

I have. When I first bought my current bike I had my wife one up and we parked in a gravel parking lot with a slight incline. When my wife went to get off the bike my foot slipped and we both went down. That certainly doesn't make me a terrible rider.

I may not be the most active member of this forum but I've been here for a while. I hate watching newer people come here and get slammed. We were all new once.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
It 'appens.. :) ... You can be riding for a while and still do daft stuff like that.. Your mind gets one step ahead and, if you ever forget any step, the next thing you know... :shock: ..you are sat there feeling like a goofball.. :lol:

Sounds like, eventually, you are going to be riding two-up with a Great Gal, anyway ;)

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thank goodness I don't take the opinions of strangers on the internet to heart....lol That horrible rider comment might have hurt my feelings. I've got 10 years in the saddle but the ex was not a fan of bikes so she never tried. My current gf is much more open minded.

And I agree on the motorcycle course as a gift. That would be a wonderful way to get her used to the feeling of having that balance and how to lean, etc. I'd always prefer to ride alone and get her a bike of her own. And she's not a "young girl"....unless you're 80 or something....then comparatively speaking you'd be correct....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.