Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got the bike running good and I enjoy riding it everyday. I had to pull the carbs and clean the float valves when I first got it since they were stuck and gas was pouring out. Well got that done and thought all was well. After using two tanks of gas from the same station I had no problems, until I had to switch to the reserve and go to another station the other day. Well since then I have had to pull the carbs three times to clean the floats....... getting really agrivated and still have about a half tank. I am going to drain the tank and never buy gas at that station again. What is the best way to clean out the tank? I have ordered an inline fuel filter and extra fuel line and I am going to take the pitcock aprt to clean the screen but I would like to make sure that what ever was in the gas or tank is gone. Need advice...

83 Honda Shadow vt500c

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
How do you know it's the gas from the other place. My bet would be since you had to hit reserve, you picked up garbage laying in the bottom of the tank. If you saw sediment inside the carbs, it's not from the gas, it's from the inside of your tank. If you are going to completely disassemble the tank, just take a garden hose and flush it. Shake the tank around to help dislodge any trash left in the tank. If you have access to compressed air, then blow the inside of the tank to dry it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with Big B, you have residual dirt in your tank. Take a god look inside with a mirror and a flashlight and make sure there is no rust. Flushing the tank with a garden hose after inspection is exactly what we did when I was a tech. We would flush it afterwards with some denatured alcohol to dry up the water and let it stand in the sun for a few hours. If there is rust in the tank you will need to coat it with a Kreem tank sealer kit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no fuel filter on the bike as they didnt come with on back then, but I am putting one on. When I originally looked at the bike the tank looked clean inside but hard to say what it looks like at the other end, I havnt seen anything in the carbs when I clean them. I just pull the bottom covers and pull the floats and float valves out an spray them with carb cleaner blow dry and reinstall. I will try the garden hose trick and look for the kreem sealer. How long does it take for the sealer to dry before I can resintall the pitcock and add gas?

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
There is no fuel filter on the bike as they didnt come with on back then, but I am putting one on. When I originally looked at the bike the tank looked clean inside but hard to say what it looks like at the other end, I havnt seen anything in the carbs when I clean them. I just pull the bottom covers and pull the floats and float valves out an spray them with carb cleaner blow dry and reinstall. I will try the garden hose trick and look for the kreem sealer. How long does it take for the sealer to dry before I can resintall the pitcock and add gas?
E-bay
eBay Guides - How to use the KREEM Gas Tank Sealer Kit

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If your bike is gravity fed (versus fuel pump), you need to be mindful of not interfering with the flow too much (hard acceleration) or creating other flow issues with long tubing. Other suggestions:
  • Mr. Funnel protects from gas station water and junk
  • A 'T' fitting with vertically oriented leg to capture water before it hits your carb

·
Registered
256 Posts
Before I went to resealing my tank, I would consider flushing it (running it through with gasoline) with the petcock out a few times. Some even pour a package of bb's into the tank and swirl it around to loosen the debris.

Get one gas can full of gas, a bunch of coffee filters and a large aluminum roasting pan. Remove the gas tank. Fill the tank half-full of gas. Remove the petcock and cover the hole with a thumb or large cork. Shake the tank and drain the gas through the open petcock hole into the roasting pan. Repeat until either your gas can is empty, or your tank empties clear, or your roasting pan is getting full (whichever comes first). You can put several stacked coffee filters into the opening of the gas can (held in place by a rubber band around the opening) to filter the gas from the roasting pan back into the gas can so that you can continue flushing the gas tank.

If the tank is really bad, use some bb's in the tank when you are shaking the tank. It will hasten the removal of the crud in the tank. Once the tank empties with clear gas, you are done. Of course make sure all of the bb's are out.

Tank sealing has its own problems and should be use as the course of last resort. Try the cleaning route first. It is basically free and is easy.

Once the tank is draining clear, clean the petcock filter and reinstall it into the tank. Since your bike did not have a filter from the factory, get a small in-line fuel filter from your local auto parts store and install it between the petcock and the carb(s). Try to not add any major dips in the fuel path. Some is inevitable, but try to not have the fuel line get below the level of the fuel inlet on the carb(s). You should replace the fuel line between the petcock and the carb(s) anyways, so get a foot or so of new fuel line when you are at the parts store.

After that, try to keep the fuel tank full when you are not riding the bike. Get gas at quality filing stations that get the most fuel deliveries per week. The should ensure that you are getting fuel with as little water in it as possible. Also keeping your tank full is the best way to keep water out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Chevyman,
If you are going to use gasoline as a cleaning solvent in an open pan, I suggest you do this outside, away from any ignition source. The fumes are heavier than air and can travel a considerable distance along the ground. You might want to consider using a less-volatile solvent, and save the gasoline for the final rinse, using only a few ounces of gas. And still do it outside.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.